Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-10-2021, 04:43 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
I've heard a lot of people say it's a shit movie. I think I'll pass on watching it.
I've seen a lot worse comedies, but.... it took the writers 30 years to come up with THIS shit?? Why the hell bother.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:05 PM
That fucking Guy...

I mean, sadly...it's just Edie Murphy...it's like, I didn't even hate Pluto Nash that much, and didn't think Bowfinger was great but they were tolerable...everything since has been a waste.
I think with the exception of "Metro" and "Life" his career has been a pile of garbage since (but not including) Vampire in Brooklyn.

Why?

You start fucking around with family comedies and kids movies...kills every single comedy/movie career.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:28 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post

You start fucking around with family comedies and kids movies...kills every single comedy/movie career.
True.

Dolemite Is My Name was alright tho.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
you talking about the big guy? I don't think he was bad. I think 'he' was an animal.

Well, you know, the whole movie they were going from one place to other. And I thought the trip was so, so, so common. I've seen that journey a million times. They're mostly going through corridors and some tight squeezes; one drop and one outside walk. Nothing wrong with that, if the characters and story was cookin', but it wasn't for me. I'm glad you liked though.
Decided to peak at RottenTomatoes... 49% critic 60% audience. The critique RT features is: "Underwater's strong cast and stylish direction aren't enough to distract from the strong sense of d�j� vu provoked by this claustrophobic thriller's derivative story." Funny he/she writes "distract from the strong sense of d�j� vu"... lol... yeah, I had, what you might call d�j� vu, but not the good kind.

just for fun, here's some of the RT critiques:

The Abyss meets Aliens with a bit of The Poseidon Adventure, a lot of Pacific Rim and a dash of The Meg in this subaquatic sci-fi that offers nothing more than the sum of its references.
February 10, 2020 | Rating: 2/5 | Kevin Maher Times (UK)

The murky cinematography further hinders a picture that looks as though it was shot through raw sewage.
February 9, 2020 | Rating: 2/5 | Wendy Ide Observer (UK)

As viewers of this dreck, we could teach the earth's crust a few things about being deeply bored.
February 6, 2020 | Rating: 2/5 | Tim Robey Daily Telegraph (UK)

Instantly forgettable.
February 6, 2020 | Rating: 2/5 | David Jenkins Little White Lies

It's not that bad, it is just not any good.
February 7, 2020 | Mark Kermode Kermode & Mayo's Film Review
An animal? You don't know who that was? That was the surprise. Did you read my review?

http://horror.com/forum/showpost.php...ostcount=11702

I liked the movie. Yeah it does feel like Alien at times and other movies. But I find it funny how critics will find similarities with smaller or normal movies. But when companies make remakes and homages for big movies, critics do their best to help companies sell tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Coming 2 America 5/10

Reminded me of Crocodile Dundee 2. In the first movie Dundee goes to America, in the second it's the other way around. Except, Coming 2 America is as good as Crocodile Dundee 3, which was bad.

Why the hell couldn't the movie have been about Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall again? And why the hell couldn't they find an actor to play the son who didn't look and acted like an annoying fuck? Would have liked to see Anthony Mackie playing that part. I don't care if he's 10 years too old, damn it!!

Oh well, at least the costumes looked nice. 1 point for that.
I don't think Eddie Murphy will make those rough comedies anymore. I can't remember much of the original Coming to America. Only this bar scene.

It's strange how a lot of that I didn't get when I was young. There is that pretty gold digger that might actually be playing herself if you check her wiki. And the inside jokes. Back in the day, Eddie Murphy did a bunch of gay jokes. But he was the guy who got caught picking up a trans prostitute. A term I didn't get back then. That would be a strange coincidence when considering that final scene in the bar.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 03-10-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:07 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

The Visit, damn i really enjoyed this
Old 03-11-2021, 11:34 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
And the inside jokes. Back in the day, Eddie Murphy did a bunch of gay jokes
I believe it was almost an opening "joke" on Delirious or one of those.
Explaining that one of his rules is that "faggots can't look at his ass" when he's on the stage.
Also said specifically he was "scared of gay people" or some such.

Personally...don't care...it was the 80's. He was forever trying to be edgy. Things change and I doubt he'd say it now.
Though to be honest it astounds me that this isn't something people have went after him for and brought back from the past...why'd they miss him?
Old 03-11-2021, 07:54 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Boss Level 6-7/10

Yet another Groundhog Day/Happy Death Day attempt. This time made as an action flick. I don't really know what to think of this one. Not really a big action movie fan, so I guess I found the story a little lackluster. But I can easilly see how other people might like it a lot. Got a solid cast.
Just saw it with some family. I liked it. I thought it was fun. The opening dialogue -- kind of arrogant macho stuff from the '80s -- had me worried, but it really softened up. It's mainly an action-comedy. It just needed a touch of heart, and I think it had it. I'd probably give it an 8/10, as the film just tried to be a little fun romp and was successful at it.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:20 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
An animal? You don't know who that was? That was the surprise. Did you read my review?

http://horror.com/forum/showpost.php...ostcount=11702
I read your review before and after the section labeled "spoilers", because I hadn't seen it yet.

OK, so big creature was C. Well, in this movie, whatever it was, it didn't really do or say anything that a giant fish/squid/animal wouldn't do. I didn't get the smaller creatures were worshiping C, I just read that they were. I am no expert on C, or L***c***t for that matter. The brief appearance of C at the end did nothing for me. In a way, that only makes it more of a fan film of references. The only way I made it through the film, with one jump ahead, is the mild humor of T.J. Miller. That, and general curiosity of the end, which I didn't dig either. But again, I'm glad you liked it. RT 60% fresh audience score isn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I liked the movie. Yeah, it does feel like Alien at times and other movies. But I find it funny how critics will find similarities with smaller or normal movies. But when companies make remakes and homages for big movies, critics do their best to help companies sell tickets.
Hmm... I don't know... one might say a 'remake' using the same title (as the original film) is being honest about the source material. And the audience knows ahead of time they are going to get something close to the original, or hopefully (to me) a re-imagining that is sufficiently original, but therefore that would be considered a pleasant surprise. I've seen the majority of critics both bash and praise some remake film titles, usually bash.

Whereas a film that presents itself as an original film has more responsibility to be original. There may be 'nothing new under the sun', but if you're doing a genre film like Underwater -- let's say a claustrophobic sci-fi horror -- if you piece together sections from other claustrophobic sci-fi horror films, the likelihood is it's going to seem hack. It struck me as very hack.

Only one film comes to mind that was a crosshatch of other sci-fi TV eps and films, that was well-received at HDC, and a lot of people I know, was Event Horizon (EH) (but the film still irked me). Coincidentally, EH was trashed by critics (RT Critic 28%) and has the same audience score as Underwater (60%). I thought EH was much better than Underwater (though I'm still not a fan of EH) because I thought the combination of story elements had a 'sort of originality', it was fairly unpredictable, had some creative creatures, etc. I don't think I'd say any of those things about Underwater.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-14-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:29 AM
Evil Dead

MA (2019). Odd film as very obnoxious teenagers are befriended by an older woman who, most importantly, acquires booze and a place for them to party. But it turns out there is a past history with many of the kids parents and not all that great either...

Lots of potential here, but script lags and although it gets frantic towards the end, You won't care hat much. Octavia Spencer, as the titular character, is very good and she makes the film worth seeing. **1/2
Old 03-12-2021, 03:38 PM
病気の

Stay Out of the Fucking Attic. 2021. 8/10

Director: Jerren Lauder

Tags
movie