Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Undead

The Old Dark House (1932)

The Old Dark House (1932)

What a weird, strange, dark, twisted, fun little film this is! Boris Karloff gets top billing as the mute, drunken, overtly threatening butler for the...ahem...eccentric Femm family, played delightfully by Ernest Thesinger (the spooked Horace Femm) and Eva Moore (his crotchety old sister Rebecca). Three travelers, the Wavertons (Raymond Massey & Gloria Stuart) and their friend Penderel (Melvyn Douglas), are forced to stop at the eponymous dwelling when a huge storm and mudslides strand them. At first, the Femms do not want these strangers staying with them, but they grudgingly give in. Not long after, Sir William Porterhouse and his mistress arrive (played by Charles Laughton and Lilian Bond). Throughout the early stages of the film, it becomes quite clear that the Femm family is at least slightly off their rocker. Things only get weirder as the movie continues to its climax. The Old Dark House was directed by James Whale in between the original Universal classic Frankenstein and its acclaimed sequel Bride of Frankenstein. I'm a huge fan of both of these films and Whale again doesn't disappoint in this one. Gloria Stuart was pretty hot back in the day. It's weird watching this movie in 2005 after having seen her in Titanic. I highly recommend watching this movie in the dark and alone. The atmosphere of this one is excellent, and I get the feeling it is going to become essential Halloween viewing for me on a yearly basis. I highly recommend this movie if you are a fan of James Whale, Boris Karloff, or any of the famous Universal films, and I give it a very solid 8/10.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Yes, this is a genuinely creepy film. I also highly recommend that anyone that hasn't see it do so. It is by far my favorite James Whale film.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jenna26
Yes, this is a genuinely creepy film. I also highly recommend that anyone that hasn't see it do so. It is by far my favorite James Whale film.
on a par with bride of frankenstein
Old 06-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

this is another one i picked up recently - on Kino Video ..

another company that has an excellent and eccentric catalogue.

i'm glad to see it's a quality film as i took a chance on it ... i'll check it out this weekend.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally posted by zwoti
on a par with bride of frankenstein
I'm not a big fan of the early Frankenstein films to be honest, I have a better appreciation of them now. And I do believe they are very well-made films. But the book may be my favorite book of all time and is very important to me, so I don't really like the direction the movies took character wise.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Banned

just watched it .. great atmosphere ..

although i had to laugh every time the butler did that little mumble .. it sounded like it was added after the fact - almost as a joke. (i know it wasnt supposed to be a joke - it just sounded like one)