Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever (2009)

>>: D+
Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Messiah of Evil" 3/10

Accidently saw this movie again last night.

Still don't like it.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:00 AM
Bad Natured

Fistful fo Dollars (1964). What a classic. Kudos to style for Serio. Mercie beaucoup.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

beneath
effects
hulk
pontypool
the wolfman
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Fistful fo Dollars (1964). What a classic. Kudos to style for Serio. Mercie beaucoup.
d
Check out Yojimbo next!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Tenant

Mon Oncle (1958)

Rediculously funny. This is the warm center of Tati's life work, the crossroads between the silly human comedies that came before it and the complex commentaries on modernity that came after; wonderfully, this film takes a little from both recipes and the result is a perfect concoction which is always entertaining but also thought-provoking. Some of the finest Tati moments are contained within this movie, including several choice scenes involving bored kids, a fish fountain, modern kitchens and garage doors. Tati's immortal character, M. Hulot, is so easy to laught at, but also to connect with. His blundering misadventures are totally hysterical, but there is something to be said about the plausible and tragic possibility of being left behind by an always-evolving world.

The House of the Devil (2009)

"They don't write 'em like that anymore". Ti West gets it; and, thanks to his passion for horror, his understanding of the intracacies that make it work, and an extremely creative directorial vision, he has helmed the most exquisite horror film of the last decade, at the very least. This is high art, the kind of slow-burn, character driven terror story that simply isn't told today, thanks to a supply and demand process fueled by a mass with no patience and no desire to experience real suspense. Though on its surface the film might start off looking like an homage, or a simple throwback to the genre, West quickly reassures us that he isn't just playing games. While he does nod to the nostalgic pleasures of horror generations past (an incredibly fun and effective score by Jeff Grace, eye-popping gritty cinematography by Eliot Rockett), this is a serious and effective story on its own. I cannot say enough good things about this movie, and I cannot express the importance I feel that filmmakers and films like these have amongst a world of trash.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to Laura6 Send a message via Yahoo to Laura6
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Saw VI
Old 02-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Misanthrope

Watched Enter The Ninja last night. Prefer Revenge of the Ninja and Ninja III: The Domination but I still had fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura6 View Post
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Sweet. Always liked that one.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
HDC Idol

FINALLY saw Avatar.

And, wow. Seriously, wow. As cliche as it sounds, it's not "just" your average action movie, it's an experience. I'm really glad that I went to see it in IMAX. The world is vivid, the characters are real, the beasties are fantastic, and the action is straight-out jaw-dropping at some points. I even got myself carried away with the love story and war struggle and found myself getting teary-eyed... And I loved it. Not only was this movie fun, but it actually made me FEEL something.

A lot of critics go after its substance and story. Sure, it's cliched. Sure, it's a little Fern Gully. That's the kind of stuff that I usually cling on to when criticizing movies like this, but in this case, Avatar was so incredibly stunning and engrossing that I absolutely did not care. I thoroughly enjoyed myself start to finish. The best time I've had at the movies probably since My Bloody Valentine 3D (hey, say what you will about the connotations of that statement; that movie was a damn blast). And I want to go and see it again.

I highly recommend that you go and see this in the movies. It's fun, stunning, and a damn good action flick. I actually thought that the political statement was daring, and not too heavy-handed (hell, it was REFRESHING to see). Not to mention there's a LOT to geekasm about; the "science," the monsters, the animation... So I think there's enough in there for anyone. ONLY downside: I thought that it was a little long and could have used some editing. But that's ok; there was more than enough to keep me entertained from start to finish.

4/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 PM
mostly ghostly?

Did anyone else see The Wolfman?