Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2007, 02:31 PM
cronenberg-rox

Guillermo del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft

No one's been talking about Guillarmos del Toro's next big project after the second Hellboy movie, a film he describes will be his "epic horror movie" starring Ron Perlman *you know it*, based upon HP Lovecraft's novella "At the Mountains of Madness" by the same title.

go here http://www.deltorofilms.com/ProjectPage.php?projectid=9 to find as much information there is to find on the film.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
No, fuck YOU

Del Toro doing Lovecraft sounds good to me. VERY good. :)
Old 07-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Sounds good to me as well, could be great even.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:33 PM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

im looking forward already... thanks for the info

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Evil Dead

Ummmm

Director John Carpenter's Lovecraftian tribute movie In the Mouth of Madness (1995) bases its title on this story, although the plot is unrelated.

Director Guillermo Del Toro has written a screenplay based on Lovecraft's story, but as of 2006 has had trouble getting Warner Brothers to finance the project. Wrote Del Toro, "The studio is very nervous about the cost and it not having a love story or a happy ending, but it's impossible to do either in the Lovecraft universe."[16]

This is one of the best Lovecraft stories ever. I love the story. Its nasty, cosmic, can be thought of as a precursor to John Carpenter's The Thing but should it be a movie? The short answer is.. No.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

If anyone can make this work, it's GDT. He grows stronger as an artist with each outing.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

stuart gordon had tried to make this but could never get the financing he needed.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Fear scented candle

I would see this in a heartbeat.... Del Toro does beautiful work.

I know many, if not most people here are STuart Gordon fans, but I think he is partially responsible for there being no good Lovecraft movies. He has enthusiasm, but he lacks the feel of Lovecraft's atmosphere.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman Kane View Post
"The studio is very nervous about the cost and it not having a love story or a happy ending, but it's impossible to do either in the Lovecraft universe.".
At least GDT has the balls to stay true to Lovecraft... I have not read this tale of his, but I do like Lovecraft. Count me in...
Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 AM
For Vendetta

There’s a script review floating around of one draft of Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Robbin’s script for At the Mountains of Madness. The review was useful for pointing out a few statements that producer James Cameron recently made about the film, where, among other things, he claims that it could be a film on the scale of something like Aliens.

Cameron told Wired that At the Mountains of Madness is

Quote:
…going to be an epically scaled horror film and we haven’t seen anything like that in a really long time — I guess since Aliens.

The thing about Lovecraft is that he left a lot to the imagination,” …He never told you what they looked like. He managed to create a sense of creeping horror without specifics…Guillermo brings an eye for design that is so original and so quirky and so steeped in the lore of movie design and horror design, but always fresh and unexpected. Frankly, I just want to see what he comes up with and I want to enable the nuts and bolts of the production so he doesn’t have to worry about that. I want to help him how to work in 3-D.
If you’re really curious about the script review, which comes from the point of view of a hardcore fan of H.P. Lovecraft’s source novel, then you can read it here -

http://templeofghoul.blogspot.com/20...pt-review.html

The key points are that the script is summed up as “like a HELLBOY movie without Hellboy, with a light dose of Carpenter’s THE THING,” and said to be “not as bleak as Lovecraft’s novel or Carpenter’s film [In the Mouth of Madness] which was vaguely inspired by the spirit of this same novel.”