Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Evil Dead

I watched The Stone Tape, a made for BBC movie from the early 70s by Nigel Kneale. It is similar to but not quite as ambitious as Quatermass and the Pit. It was an interesting haunting movie, and reminded me a little bit of Legend of Hell House and The Haunting in the way it uses science to explore the supernatural. Of the haunted house movies I have seen, The Stone Tape is certainly among the better. It just barely touches a Lovecraftian cosmological terror similar to Prince of Darkness although its far more restrained. The script, dialogue, and characterization were top notch, but the production was fairly low budget, think early Dr. Who level type production level. This is one of the few horror movies I think could benefit from a remake and perhaps could explore the idea of 'the others' a bit more.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

^Great Film. I love Nigel Kneale.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I watched The Stone Tape, a made for BBC movie from the early 70s by Nigel Kneale. It is similar to but not quite as ambitious as Quatermass and the Pit. It was an interesting haunting movie, and reminded me a little bit of Legend of Hell House and The Haunting in the way it uses science to explore the supernatural. Of the haunted house movies I have seen, The Stone Tape is certainly among the better. It just barely touches a Lovecraftian cosmological terror similar to Prince of Darkness although its far more restrained. The script, dialogue, and characterization were top notch, but the production was fairly low budget, think early Dr. Who level type production level. This is one of the few horror movies I think could benefit from a remake and perhaps could explore the idea of 'the others' a bit more.
Saw this last year on the big screen at gthe HP Lovecraft Film Festival. It was a very interesting film.

Don't agree about a remake though.

--------------------------------------------

Watched Suspiria on Youtube. Still an amazing piece of cinema. I was also struck by what seemed to me a lot of similarities with Eyes Without a Face, and I've never heard anyone comment on this.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff

Last edited by _____V_____; 01-18-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Watched Suspiria on Youtube. Still an amazing piece of cinema. I was also struck by what seemed to me a lot of similarities with Eyes Without a Face, and I've never heard anyone comment on this.
Susperia on youtube?! That movie really needs the big screen experience! Get yourself a home theater and a blu ray player! Or rent a cinema. Susperia deserves better!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Cranky

The Ghost Galleon (1974)

Low budget American/Italian co-production that has very little to offer. The photography is murky, script and dialogue poor, acting pedestrian.

There is a little bit of flesh chewing by some very un-Romero-like zombies, some implied rape (which happens and then is promptly forgotten) and some implied lesbianism.

Rediculous dia;ogue that provides a few laughs, but I wouldn't even recommend this to lovers of bad horror movies.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
The Ghost Galleon (1974)

Low budget American/Italian co-production that has very little to offer. The photography is murky, script and dialogue poor, acting pedestrian.

There is a little bit of flesh chewing by some very un-Romero-like zombies, some implied rape (which happens and then is promptly forgotten) and some implied lesbianism.

Rediculous dia;ogue that provides a few laughs, but I wouldn't even recommend this to lovers of bad horror movies.
this is part of The Blind Dead series.....have you seen any of the others?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Cranky

I'm afraid I haven't.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Cranky

Profondo Rosso.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Death Hunt

good, gritty little movie with a solid cast
great scenery that i'd appreciate a lot more in the summer - i'm cold enough as it is.

Fun watching Lee Marvin and Andrew Stevens playing Canadian Mounties :D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deathhunt.jpg (52.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Misanthrope

I enjoyed Death Hunt. Miss ol' Charlie! I really need to watch The Indian Runner again.