Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I am a huge, HUGE Battle Royale fan (well at least the movie; the book is sitting waiting for a nice vacation to be read)... I felt the same way before I read the The Hunger Games trilogy, but don't let it turn you off, though - Give it a shot - They're quick, engaging reads. At least be open-minded and try it before you shrug off the series completely. Also, I'd definitely read the books before seeing the movie (I know that everyone always says that but I feel that, as someone who appreciates horror, you will enjoy the books more).

I can love both The Hunger Games and Battle Royale separately - Two different worlds, two different sets of characters.
I don't want to come off as close minded by any means. Perhaps I will give it a try. I guess I just get upset when something like this catches on so much with people who have either never heard of Battle Royale or would not read it for stupid reasons.

As for Come and See. I have not even heard of that. However, if you are interested in Soviet films, are you a fan of Stalker?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
As for Come and See. I have not even heard of that. However, if you are interested in Soviet films, are you a fan of Stalker?
Oh, heavens yes. It's one of my all-time favorites.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I don't think that the crappy little TV in my bedroom did it justice.
Yeah I've been meaning to watch it again but figured it wouldn't be as good. Best film I've seen at the theatre in years. It was quite funny seeing people's reactions to the violence :D It's always cool to see a foreign director's take on a largely American genre. Loved the homage to Thief and of course The Driver. It was more well done and tasteful say compared to what Tarantino would've done.

You should check out the Pusher trilogy when you get a chance. It's more raw and is a great character study. Those three films made me sit up and take notice of Refn. He's the most interesting director working atm in my eyes.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Elvis - have you seen THE DRIVER - a pretty excellent 70's film that drive took a lot from. It stars Ryan O'Neal and Bruce Dern.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Elvis - have you seen THE DRIVER - a pretty excellent 70's film that drive took a lot from. It stars Ryan O'Neal and Bruce Dern.
Yeah man a bunch of times. I'm a big Walter Hill fan. That flick is one of the best pieces of modern noir.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Cold Prey" 6/10
"Cold Prey 2" 6/10

Mediocre slashers with good acting.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 AM
Scares Little Kids

Hi Angra. And I prefer coldplay one a 7.5, do not you think? Cold Prey 2 is worse, with a 6 I think. A greeting.

http://juanherrongonzalezwriter.blogspot.com.es/
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Divide (2011)

The premise was fine but most of the characters eventually turned out quite stupid or annoying most of the time.

>>: C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
"Cold Prey" 6/10
"Cold Prey 2" 6/10

Mediocre slashers with good acting.
Love them both! Best slashers of 00's, IMO! I'd give them 8 & 8.5
Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Midnight toker

The House of the Devil(2009): Cool retro feel, some great peformances (Tom Noonan is awesome). Suspense and atmosphere are both great. Solid film, but the ending felt a little too abrupt and clumsy considering how much time was taken to develop the main character.

The Haunting aka The Beckoning (2009): Decent Spanish haunted house flick. Predictable in many ways but everything is done pretty well. Acting is good, story is decent, suspense and atmosphere are pretty good. Well worth a watch if you're into haunted house/ ghost stories.

RED (2010): Crap...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post

The Haunting aka The Beckoning (2009): Decent Spanish haunted house flick. Predictable in many ways but everything is done pretty well. Acting is good, story is decent, suspense and atmosphere are pretty good. Well worth a watch if you're into haunted house/ ghost stories.
I am....I'll look for this one