Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Compilations and Pastimes
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Cranky

I don't much like this list either, but it is what it is- a list compiled by a panel of individuals who each have their own taste.

And I'm not certain "scariness" should be the sole criterion used to qualify the worth of a horror film.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I don't much like this list either, but it is what it is- a list compiled by a panel of individuals who each have their own taste.

And I'm not certain "scariness" should be the sole criterion used to qualify the worth of a horror film.
Well I think it should be criteria enough that Fright Night would make the list and Shaun of the Dead would not IF you are going to include comedies or high camp. But I'm not suggesting it be the sole criteria. I don't think Nosferatu or the early classics are scaring anyone these days, but they earn their spot on any list.

I guess I'm just surprised that people who have enough interest in the horror film genre to participate in a forum dedicated to the topic would come to these conclusions. It's kinda like a group of experts deciding what are the 100 best films ever made and putting Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in the top 20. Not that I agree with the AFI list either.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Cranky

You're crying in the wilderness. I spent years here advocating for quality over mass appeal, but have been labeled a cranky old snob because of it. Most members of this forum started watching horror films when they were kids in the 80s, and that's what they hold dear.

You'll just have to learn to deal with it. You're not going to change their opinions, and they're not going to change yours.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
You're crying in the wilderness. I spent years here advocating for quality over mass appeal, but have been labeled a cranky old snob because of it. Most members of this forum started watching horror films when they were kids in the 80s, and that's what they hold dear.

You'll just have to learn to deal with it. You're not going to change their opinions, and they're not going to change yours.

Well sounds like there are now two cranky old guys complaining on this forum.

:D

For the record I was a kid in the 70s, teen in the 80s, I just have a great fondness for the classics.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
Well sounds like there are now two cranky old guys complaining on this forum.

:D

For the record I was a kid in the 70s, teen in the 80s, I just have a great fondness for the classics.
No matter who ended up deciding the Top 100, I'm sure there would always be films I'd strongly object to being on there. It's inevitable.

Maybe you should check out the HDC Vintage list.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
No matter who ended up deciding the Top 100, I'm sure there would always be films I'd strongly object to being on there. It's inevitable.

Maybe you should check out the HDC Vintage list.
Yeah, there is that. Everyone will have a different list.

But even if the list was 100 Greatest MODERN Horror films, I think stuff like Shaun of the Dead should not have any place on it, especially when things like The Hunger and Fright Night don't make the list at all.

Certainly the original Night of the Living Dead and the powerful Dawn of the Dead remake should make the list, but the 1970s sequels should barely qualify for the bottom of a Top 100 list that isn't zombie specific.

Romero's "social commentary" approach to films just isn't very interesting so his sequels tend to grade right below your average Roger Corman film. Ironically I don't see many Corman films on the list either and their contribution to the genre is pretty significant. American International virtually pioneered the B grade horror film standard that most of us love.

And I did check out the vintage list, lots of WTF on that one too.

Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (Russ Meyer Boobie movie, not a horror film)
The Most Dangerous Game (Great film with Fay Wray, but not sure it really qualifies as horror).
Rashomon (Excellent Kurosawa movie but hardly horror - yeah I know the ghost of his wife is in there).
And some very questionable Top 101s, with many significant films missing.

I guess at least is was just an alphabetical list rather than a ranking attempt.

Last edited by SteyrAUG; 10-01-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Cranky

So what exactly is it you want? Are we to scrap all the HDC top lists and put up ones that only contain films approved by a 3 day newbie?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
So what exactly is it you want? Are we to scrap all the HDC top lists and put up ones that only contain films approved by a 3 day newbie?

Ok, not sure why the controversy.

It's the internet, you get an opinion and I voiced mine. I made my comments for two reasons.

1. I'm surprised at the conclusions that people who devoted time to a movie forum arrived at (I think I voiced this already).

2. I have a differing opinion.

I don't recall starting a petition to scrap movie lists or change a forum. I was not aware that there was a time limit to voice an opinion. I simply assumed any "informed opinion" (ie something other than "chainsaw rocks dude") was all that was required to participate.

Perhaps this is one of those forums where if you aren't an established "cool kid" you need to mind your place until invited to join the secret tree house. If that is the case I was unaware and I won't continue to bother you with my pesky opinions.

Have a nice day.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Cranky

It's just that 80% of your posts so far have been about how crappy our lists are. We get it.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Evil is Better

Haha i love how you invoke converations NE. It really makes things interesting. I actually mean that by the way. I'm not being sarcastic.