Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Pirate Radio

loved it

recommend to neverending
I rented it On Demand a few weeks ago. I actually turned it off before it was over. I thought it was okay, but missed a lot of what it could have been.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Evil Dead

Just saw Cool Hand Luke again for the first time in years. Still don't know what the point of the movie is, but love it anyway.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 PM
For Vendetta

What a fantastic film. I am getting really impressed by these masterpieces of French cinema. The whole film has a subtle underlayer of suspense running through, and the backdrop of the French Resistance during Nazi occupation conveys a very strong message of anti-war sentiments. The background shots are absolutely awesome, the direction crisp and the actors are brilliant. This has been hailed by critics as a lost masterpiece, and I couldn't agree more.

Return, Alky, Fort, Psycho d, Chrono, NE, Elvis, Zwoti, anyone else loving French film noir...see if you can find this near you. Trust me totally and blind-buy Army of Shadows asap.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Got Derek to watch Halloween for the first time. He liked it.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Maverick, the Hellspawn

The Uncanny.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

What a fantastic film. I am getting really impressed by these masterpieces of French cinema. The whole film has a subtle underlayer of suspense running through, and the backdrop of the French Resistance during Nazi occupation conveys a very strong message of anti-war sentiments. The background shots are absolutely awesome, the direction crisp and the actors are brilliant. This has been hailed by critics as a lost masterpiece, and I couldn't agree more.

Return, Alky, Fort, Psycho d, Chrono, NE, Elvis, Zwoti, anyone else loving French film noir...see if you can find this near you. Trust me totally and blind-buy Army of Shadows asap.
What he said. One of Melville's finest.

Dancer in the Dark (2000). Lars von Trier scores another ten with this brilliant tear-jerker. The beginning has an almost amateurish, home movie feel to it, suckering the viewer to stick his chin out only to receive the requisite sucker punch. This lugubrious and exhausting flick was thankfully punctuated by much needed emotional breathing space. The acting was second to none, with Bjork spilling forth a compelling portrayal of a blue collar mother willing to go to absolute extremes in order to give her son the chance for a decent life. Lars extracts ever bit of talent from his supporting cast of Catherin Deneuve, David Morse, Peter Stormare, and company. The handheld camera work by Lars is fabulously ingenious. As simple story really, it unravels with aplomb as not one scene is unnecessary or contrived, with a riveting conclusion that should serve to move the most phlegmatic of souls. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Inquisitor Generalis

Martin [1977] - Ages since i`ve seen this flick. A darn good modern-vampire!

"The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."
Old 05-22-2010, 09:03 AM
That fucking Guy...

NOES 2010
Not surprisingly, I the original 80's version was preferable
...this Freddy while ok just didn't seem dark or quite sinister enough compared to the original as featured in #1-#3 before he became a complete stand-up comedy act.
I mean sure, he would be a scary fucker to be confronted with no doubt, but comparatively speaking...not at all.
Some interesting ideas were there, including an alternative twist on his back-story and how he was killed etc, some re-made/slightly different scenes (hit and miss)...and during the "current" events, the concept of micro-sleeps was introduced which I thought was one of the stand-out points in the film...
Though - atmosphere was lacking in my opinion, it relied a lot on jumps.

*Spoilers in white*
But...no centipede? No "this is God"? No fingers chopped off or cutting into his own guts? No dead-friends-face-mask? I thought of all the things to recreate those might have made an appearance...though yeah, this kind of shit is what I loved about the first.
One thing I really missed was the totally surreal dream scenes as featured throughout the entire old series...like where they were clearly dreaming - in most cases in this new one the dreams were most of the time just the same scenario as reality only telling any real difference when the villain appeared.
I think he laughed WAY too much throughout too.

Overall it was "ok" and "not bad", and an interesting take on the Krueger tale. Though I did not greatly enjoy it. In my honest opinion the NOES related scenes in FvsJ were more atmospheric and well suited to the character.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Inquisitor Generalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
- atmosphere was lacking in my opinion, it relied a lot on jumps.
Spot on!!! Atmosphere non-existing imo - similar to the remake of my bloody valentine - the claustrophobic atmosphere was gone!!Sure 3-D is cool, but is it too much to ask for a plot and a atmosphere that do the original justice?!?!?

"The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."
Old 05-22-2010, 10:22 AM
For Vendetta