Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Art
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 AM
wildchild2007

is this reality?

The website for my zine Is This Reality? is up and running

the address is www.isthisreality-zine.webs.com

Please take a look, more content will be added in due course
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Evil Dead

No offense, but I am confused as to what I am supposed to be looking at.
I see the home page, then a call for submissions, but "Issue 1" is unclickable and there is no content than I see.

If you are just wanting critique as to the layout, then that is one thing...but if you are trying to get people to visit/read your zine, you might want to actually have something there before you promote it. ;)

-D
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Spellcheck your submissions page. That's the worst place in the world to allow spelling errors. You might as well have a picture of yourself naked in clown makeup with buffalo wing sauce dribbling down your chin.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I can not pay you for your work, but hope that just having your work printed will be enough.
Also, are you actually printing this stuff or are just putting it on a website?
Because taking someone's work and putting it on a website is hardly "printing". I wouldn't expect too many submissions and I feel it's a bit presumptuous of you to even have the "submissions" option without having any notoriety whatsoever. Focus on your own content first.

At the moment, stuff like what I quote above makes the site look like it was created by a kid (and your profile says you were born in 1984, so that obviously isnt the case). I would definitely look at other sites that are doing what you'd like to do and borrow elements from them.

"I hope having your work printed will be enough" is silly...trust me, it isn't enough unless you are a major publisher.

-D

Last edited by UngodlyWarlock; 03-16-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Scares Little Kids

Hmm.. a site with no content that asks for submissons sets my alarm bells ringing, if this is work in progress leave the promoting until you have a fair amount of content on there first.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
A lot of Ezines are prospering today and are solid genre markets. Some of them are just getting moving so can't pay until they know there's a market. Not so unorthodox, but an unprofessional subs page is. Posting straight to the site is sloppy, the least an artist should be able to expect is a downloadable PDF, which for a lot of small mags is a good idea. The economic reality of the situation is zines can't go into print unless they have a way to offset costs. This means distribution. Distribution comes from good buzz. Good buzz comes from printing good work. Good work comes from writers who don't mind being paid in exposure.