Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
The Evil Woods

still don't know why i watched it
Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 AM
For Vendetta

I enjoyed it for what it was. Loved the opening credits and the first 20 minutes which had the retro, B/W, normal 4:3 resolution start, which was sort of like a homage to the '39 original. And then the slow transformation to wonderful, vibrant colors and full digital resolution was simply delightful. The CGI effects were outstanding, making the land of Oz look more vibrant than it ever has been. Some of the effects, like the waterfalls and the small video-game like sequences were absolutely stunning.

***BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

The problem, inherently, lies with the story. I couldn't decide if this was a prequel, or a re-imagining, or simply a story inspired by Baum's books. It was distressing to see main characters either completely disappeared, or thrown about in subtle hints (homages) here and there (the Cowardly Lion, the Scarecrow). And my major grouse - I absolutely hated what they did with the Wicked Witch, because Mila Kunis, in all her glamour and radiance, was horribly miscast, and l didn't like the Green Goblin-esque candor of the transformed Wicked Witch. Seemed like Raimi wanted that part to be an ode to his first Spider-Man film for some odd reason.

James Franco seemed like an odd choice for the titular role, with his unimpressive voice. Someone like Johnny Depp would have absolutely nailed this one. Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams do their parts faithfully, but the miscast Mila Kunis was absolutely wasted in her role. She didn't suit the transformation either, making her looking a lot chubbier than she usually is.

***END OF SPOILERS***

Overall, an enjoyable timepass. If you are an ardent fan of Baum's Oz books, you might find this one glaringly inappropriate. I say, stick to the '39 original - it's the best of the lot. Even the 80s sequel has it's moments. Watch this one if you have absolutely nothing else to do. If not, skip.

P.S. - Missed Dorothy and the Tin Man, terribly, although the Bruce Campbell cameo was a nice touch.

Rating - 05/10

Last edited by _____V_____; 05-28-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
HDC Idol

^^ Too bad about Oz - I was really looking forward to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I thought the first one was pretty good. Not perfect but far better than most modern horror movies. I wish Fear Net would put this up already. I might have to rent it sooner than later.
Totally agree - With the amount of bad slasher movies in general, I am so impressed with these - Can't recommend them enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitTheWolf View Post
I enjoyed Mama, but ya, I know what you mean about being dissapointed by it. I couldn't stop myself from making kingslayer jokes the ENTIRE movie though. Makes it all worthwhile IMO.

And one more thing, is Fritt Vilt up on netflix? There are no more video rental places near me anymore so finding shit is tough work. About a billion redboxes near me but definitely have exhausted that resource. Just saying, need more vespene gas if you know what I mean.
hahaha - They should have had him fight a bear in Mama. I might have enjoyed it more.

Fritt Vilt is available via rental DVD's on Netflix, but not streaming. I should have rented it again before renting the sequel - it's been a while and I remember being really impressed with it.

Stitches (2012)

One of those movies that thinks it's funnier than it actually is... A lot of ok gags, but was ultimately flat for me.

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

I enjoyed the HECK out of this movie - Definitely worth seeing in Imax; an utter blast... Not sure that 3D was necessary, but the non-stop action was a lot of fun. Plus, I really love the cast, especially Quinto, Pegg, and Karl Urban (Bones)... Just pure fun.

The Great Gatsby (2013)

Incredibly entertaining - I especially liked the first 2/3rds, comprised of the incredibly elaborate parties - Luhrmann definitely captured the excess and glam of the time - The costumes, the music - all really entrancing (Gershwin being played with FIREWORKS ERUPTING!) - Then you're reminded that this is actually based on the great American novel and, unfortunately, when it comes down to telling the actual story, the movie drags (which is too bad as Gatsby was one of my favorites) - Luhrmann just couldn't really strike a balance. DiCaprio was fun to watch and I thought that Elizabeth Debicki was incredible as Jordan and Joel Edgerton was a perfect Tom Buchanon... And while we're at it, I think I should mention that Carey Mulligan really breathes life into Daisy... I think it ended with a bit of a whimper, though...

Kill List (2011)

Took me a while to finally see this, after it was recommended by quite a few people on this board... I was really impressed with it. After enduring so many remakes and rehashes of the same territory, it was really refreshing to see a movie blend sub-genres like this - What I really liked about it is that you have what seems like a pretty worn formula (hitmen) that goes in a very bizarre, absurd, and interesting direction. My fiance wasn't a fan of the ending, but I liked it quite a bit. I haven't figured it out exactly (will have to do some Internetting to get thoughts - Also, if you have an opinion, I'd love to hear it), but I did like this movie.

Headhunters (2011)

HA! Inadvertently caught another Jamie Lannister vehicle! I had no idea he had a career out of being The Kingslayer (or that he is Danish). He was great to watch.

So here's the thing - I've been recommended this movie a few times and I can see why people like it, but I found it just OK - Our main character isn't very likable so I wasn't sure whether or not to cheer for him and, ultimately I didn't really care about his fate. Also, it had a lot of twists-with-twists endings which just got silly after a while.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM
For Vendetta

Not a good day to painfully watch one of your favorite action heroes get reduced to a geriatric wheezer mumbling "I am on vacation" umpteen times as a complaint, indirectly saying "why the hell do they persist on making more of these movies?"
If that wasn't enough, we have our favorite McClane get a sidekick (okay, son) as if he needed one, more than his walking stick. A laugh out loud moment when he refers to his son as "James Bond". Truly, there wasn't a more kicked down character.
Add to that a wafer-thin plot with a ridiculous twist, half the movie in Russian which is really painful to the ears, a gorgeous babe cut down to action sequences only, and a super-cool, mindless chase down the streets of Moscow. John Moore might think that the audiences around the world are stupid enough to lap anything going "Boom! Boom!" with McClane's name plastered on it, but sorry sir, we are not THAT stupid.
What's next? Die Hard 6: The McClane Clan, McClane: The Die Hard Effect or something similarly-titled ridiculous monstrosity for part 6, with McClane teaming up with his grandkids? No, thanks.
Bring back a passably coherent plot, an acceptable sidekick (remember Samuel L Jackson in part 3?), a hated/spiteful enough villain (those stopped from part 3 as well), and the franchise might gather some steam. Could we have Justin Lin come over and do a Fast & Furious thingy with this franchise as well?

Otherwise, Die Hard is pretty much Dead Hard, forever.

Rating - 04/10
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Horror Fan

The Bay (2012)

Some great scares in this one. I am not a huge fan of found footage approaches but this one breaks new ground using it. 3.5 stars out of 5.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 AM
For Vendetta

Finally a film I can like and appreciate for bringing some likeability to it. A superbly taut storyline (swear I could see this coming out of a Robin Cook novel), some excellent performances to boot and direction which keeps the pace just about right after it's initial buildup, just like a Hitchcockian brew. Without giving anything away, I can say this much safely - this is one of the best medical thrillers I have seen in quite some time.

And just one word on Rooney Mara - she's absolutely mind-blowing. If she chooses the right roles, I can see her going to the top of the tree soon.

Recommended.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 AM
Scares Little Kids

Last i watched "Baby Blues" and it not horror and it's drama. I got impression that author have got vivid imagination or simply author's crazy.

Last edited by Monas00; 05-30-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
The Uninvited
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
For Vendetta

Wonderful film with a strong message. Likeable characters, a fiesty yet vulnerable heroine, a strong male lead displaying his softness and protectiveness, and most of all, cold beings showing they have a heart to beat as well. The final shot just before the end credits roll conveys a lot of things, if understood. Not to mention the interspersed bits of genuinely laugh-out-loud moments which keep the atmosphere light and cheery, despite the gloom of the storyline.

Superb story, excellent direction and some nice performances. I thought the guy who played "R" was right into the boots of his role. And to add to all that, there are some really fantastic wide shots of the landscapes, all credit to the cinematographers.

So refreshing to see the done-to-death sub-genre get a really fresh treatment. This is everything the Twilight "saga" hoped to be and failed. Make this a franchise and I'll watch every single sequel/prequel they make. Highly recommended.

Tags
movie