Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Little Boo

Horror anthologies from the 80's

hi, I want to talk about the anthologies you read during the boom horror of the 80's. Charles L Grant's quiet horror anthologies Shadows, Karl Edward Wagner The best horror of the year, Borderlands edited by Thomas F Monteleone, Masques by JN Williamson, Dark Forces by Kirby McAuley, Cutting Edge by Dennis Etchison, Ramsey Campbell and New Horrors... do you know them or you're too young on this fórum? have you read them? which are your favourites?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:25 PM
Wanna Join?

Read Dark Forces but unfortunately the only story I really liked was Stephen King's "The Mist." Not saying the other stories were bad, just didn't do much for me. Read this a few years ago for Halloween. Okay for the season but nothing jumped out and grabbed me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (197).jpg (21.6 KB, 2 views)

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 03-07-2018, 12:04 AM
Little Boo

For me Dark Forces is an excellent anthology, a who is who? of horror fiction of the times. Great stories by T.E.D. Klein, Dennis Etchison, Karl Edward Wagner...
Old 03-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Wanna Join?

I remember when it first came out it was being referred to as the Dangerous Visions of horror.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 03-08-2018, 03:49 AM
Little Boo

Do you remember when it was released?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Wanna Join?

According to my first edition paperback, which came out in December, 1981:

Image (198).jpg

the Viking hardback came out in August, 1980.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:46 AM
Evil Dead

God I love anthologies from the 80s. Anything with Ramsey Campbell in is gold dust. He compiled a few too. UNCANNY BANQUET is one. Great stuff.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Wanna Join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfear View Post
According to my first edition paperback, which came out in December, 1981:

Attachment 19313

the Viking hardback came out in August, 1980.
Actually, since 1980 is the tenth year of the seventies, DARK FORCES isn't an eighties anthology at all. So, as close as it is, it's still neither horseshoe nor hand grenade.

Last edited by sfear; 03-10-2018 at 09:25 AM.