Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Evil Dead

Dark City - Where to Watch?

I heard something about a spoiler in a certain version. Where Kiefer looks at his watch? This happens at 1:27 in my version, so do I have the version with the spoiler, or not? I don't want to listen to see if there is the voice over explanation or not, since it would ruin it for me then, and this would be pointless.

Also, what SHOULD I watch, and what SHOULDN'T I?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:29 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

How can there be a "spoiler" inside the movie itself?

Friend....gooooood!

Old 07-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Evil Dead

Simple. In the intro, a voice-ver may explain something too in-depth, or accidentially, that ruins a twist or turn later on.

I heard this was the case in one version, here. Where the introductory voice-over gives off a major clue that lessens the experience.

PS... we have the same post count.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

maybe you're getting confused with the commentary
Old 07-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
Originally posted by joshaube

PS... we have the same post count.
*gasp* cool.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Yeah but, if you follow me here, a voice-over doesn't "give something away" accidentally. If it's there, it's there for you to pick it up, to one degree or another.

I thought a spoiler was when you're reading about the film somewhere else, and major plot points are revealed by someone who doesn't understand that part of the enjoyment of the film is not knowing what's going to happen.

Friend....gooooood!

Last edited by crabapple; 07-30-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Evil Dead

EDIT:
Your description of the term fits it perfectly, but doesn't nessacarily have to be read. In this case, it's voiced. And apparently it ruins the who-dunnit or big realization at the end. Mostly when something is mentioned, it's meant to be picked up, but I guess this was a mistake on the whole movie's part. The director even admits it.

////////////////////////////

Uh, alright. Do I have the wrong movie or something? Can't be. Since I remember the comment about Keifer's watch. So it seems none of you know? When I find out, I'll post it here so you guys don't think I'm completely retarded.

Okay.

Quote:
"I have just obtained this film on DVD and want to watch it a.s.a.p. but before I do, I need one of you to answer this question:

I have heard that the narration at the beginning gives away (unecessarily?) some of the (surprising?) plot elements that are revealed later on in the film and, furthermore, some fans turn the volume off/down until the narration is over.

If this is true, can anyone tell me long it lasts?

Thanks"

---

"1min 30 seconds

or unMUTE as soon as you see the doctor look at his watch.

its VERy spoilerific. i didnt fully "get" the spoil till i watched it but yes, definately mute it if you want to see it without realising the ending before the movie begins."

AND

"Yes, that is true, Im a fan of the movie. you could check my other posts after watching lol, im just being like narcisitic.But yes you should skip until Keifer looks at his watch,It's kind of a standard to tell people that who have never seen the film.It is amazing.And truthfully i wish u would look at my other comments on the film after seeing it and what u think about it.".

---

"Just a hint to anyone who hasn't seen this movie before...
This is an amazing movie IF you skip past the voice-over intro. Fast forward until you see the opening credits. Otherwise the mystery of the movie is ruined. I don't know why the makers of this film decided to let out all the secrets and explain everything before you see the movie for itself, it's like skipping to the end of the book to find out whodunnit---perhaps they had no faith in the intelligence of movie goers... I don't know- but I promise that if you don't listen to the explanation at the beginning of the movie, you won't be disapointed!"
So, uh, yeah.

Last edited by joshaube; 07-30-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:40 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
You pretty much have the whole story there. There's a voice over at the first that lasts roughly until we see Keifer Sutherland check out his watch. It has some info that could be left unknown, but it isnt nessecary to mute it. I watched it for the first time without muting it, and I highly enjoyed it just the same.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:04 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Oh, well, this is just the opening monologue you're talking about.

According to the director commentary, the studio wanted it added (at the last minute, basically) because they felt the film would be too confusing without a basic explanation at the beginning to frame the action.

In a sense, it does ruin the totality of the story's mystery; but a good truckload of stuff isn't revealed that you still get to discover as the story unfolds. Personally, I liked the monologue and found it rather creepy.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 07-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Evil Dead

I opted to skip it, just finished the film then went back and listened to it. Yeah, you're right, it doesn't ruin as much as I had thought.

I did enjoy being clueless for a while, though. Can't say I'd prefer this over actually hearing it beforehand... because, well, I'll never get the chance too now.

I'm happy either way. And I agree, the intro was rather creepy and mysterious on it's own.