Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacre man View Post
Orphan

I saw the trailer before "The Hangover" and made my best guess to myself about what the twist may be. I saw the movie to see if I was right, I was! Hooray for me.

Anywho, it was a decent movie. Not terrible, but in no way great. It had a few good scenes, I especially liked Esther's paintings. Some logical issues took away from the film for me a bit.

6/10
It just looks like another generic lifetime horror.

I can't wait for the Collector, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 07-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Misanthrope

Platoon Leader

Cannon Pictures does the Vietnam flick... great stuff I enjoyed it.

Hitch-Hike

Quite slow but this is a solid flick. Didn't expect it to turn out how it did.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM
For Vendetta

Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
I don't see the real appeal of any Nic Cage movie save "Raising Arizona." Nothing of his seemed that interesting to me.

Any recommendations that may change my mind about his work?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 PM
For Vendetta

You should check out Adaptation, Matchstick Men, Face/Off and Wild At Heart.
And, despite its minor flaws, I would recommend Knowing highly too.
Not a big fan of Cage either, and a lot of his recent work HAS been pathetic, but the man has delivered when asked upon. Too bad its been few and far between.
Check out 8MM too, if you havent seen it already.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Knowing

Intersting, fun and dark. Too bad it's logic falls apart on any hint of reconsideration. Nic Cage is actually quite good and not his loony self. Nothing looked even remotely like Boston, but I can fogrive that flaw. At least someone out there is trying to make good apocalyptic scifi.

Absolutely worth a rent, even if you hate it (like my writing partner).

6.5/10

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post

Hitch-Hike

Quite slow but this is a solid flick. Didn't expect it to turn out how it did.
seen it lately and yeah...the ending was bit cruel & shocking but overall I enjoyed it though:)

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

[Saw it for the first time:o]

This is a film that offers many things to many people - sharp consumer satire, black comedy, gore-splatter epic etc. Nevertheless it also shows a bleak, frantic worldview...one that encompasses all of mankind. And on that ground it's not a zombie movie or a common 'horror' film, to me it was a very human story. Like very few could have done, Romero's Dawn crosses the boundaries of its 'genre' and becomes a rare piece of milestone in the history of celluloid arts. It' a thrilling tale of survival & struggle of mankind against the nature, creatures and also within themselves like at a time of extinction or supposedly at a new beginning. The scariest part of the movie is how likely it makes the concept of total collapse of what we perceive as civilization. Such is Romero's skill as a director and writer that it manages to be all of these without pretension; more than 30 years on, this film's appeal still remains undimmed.

"Some kind of instinct. Memory, of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives."

There are plenty of satirical moments between the explosions of violence and gore, moments that still make us realize to what extent the world has reverted to being a race of consumer zombies, congregating around massive shopping malls like they're the religious temples and trapped in not by so called 'freedom of choice', but mindless instincts. The overall sustained atmosphere, inside and outside of the bare environment of the shopping mall, is by far the film's salient contribution; even when there is no obvious action onscreen, there is the threat of an attack to come, and the clock is clearly ticking on the four protagonists. They discover the novelty of having as many of society's desirable goods as they could ever want wears off pretty quick when there's nothing on TV, nowhere to spend money and no one to appreciate expensive clothes and jewelry.

A beautifully frightening film...Romero's best.

>>: A

Plaguers (2008)

A very cheesy Sci-Fi Channel-like movie about a spaceship transporting a glowing green prism of something discovered on a dead planet, which squirts some liquid on one of the bitchy space pirates (all the pirates were female & they looked like some kinda Space cheer leaders but the frustrating thing is there's no nudity...no boobs:mad:), turning her into some sort of infected space zombie thing. The gore & the space zombie make-up effects were okay, otherwise it's pretty close to be a trash.

>>: D+

Last edited by roshiq; 07-27-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Misanthrope

Recruits

Great trashy fun. I like this more than Police Academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
seen it lately and yeah...the ending was bit cruel & shocking but overall I enjoyed it though:)
Totally. There's many different levels to it characterwise. Hitch-Hike and House By The Edge Of The Park are deeper films than Last House On The Left.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Waste Disposer

Shocker
Everytime I see this movie I have a completely different opinion about it.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakru View Post
Shocker
Everytime I see this movie I have a completely different opinion about it.
I love it although its a bit to drawn out for what it is. Great soundtrack too.