Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-03-2023, 02:22 AM
Evil Dead

PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW (1971).>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very strange film that is part black comedy, part serial killer film and a teen sex comedy about a decade before they were churned out with some regularity. There are murders happening at the local high school and also more sordid things going on.

They truly don't make them like this anymore-in fact, I can imagine the howls of protest if this came out today. Our main character (Ponce), the water boy for the Football team, is still a virgin and visibly tormented by all the displays of flesh at the school. Director Roger Vadim shows lots of leg, short shorts, mini dresses, cleavage, the works. He talks to the Football Coach/Guidance Counselor about his "problem" (ie, priapism) who sets out to help him. The coach is played by Rock Hudson () who is married to beautiful Barbara Leigh (JUNIOR BONNER, TERMINAL ISLAND, VAMPIRELLA), but still finds time to have sex with just about every young starlet that was making the rounds during this time. Rock enlists the aid of a Substitute teacher (Angie Dickinson, who is lovely here) to "help" Ponce; He all but coerces and pimps her out to do so.

To add to the wackiness is Roddy McDowell and Keenan Wynn as befuddled authority figures. And You could almost call this a STAR TREK reunion as PMAIAR was written and produced by Gene Rodenberry and has James Doonan ("Scotty") and William Campbell (in a couple of ST episodes and also DEMENTIA 13). Also, three of the performers here went on to successful Crime TV series. Rock was in McMILLAN AND WIFE, Angie in POLICE WOMAN and Telly Savalas in KOJAK; in fact, He might as well be KOJACK here; except he has cigarettes in place of lollipops. ***
Old 11-04-2023, 02:01 AM
Evil Dead

Live and Let Die 1973 ★★★

James Bond is on the trail of some murderers and then ends up having to fight a young Yaphet Kotto.

The movie itself is less memorable for the story (pretty much your standard Bond song and dance routine) and more for everything surrounding it: the Paul McCartney theme song, the introduction of people like Yaphet Kotto and Jane Seymour,...

That said, it does have solid action set pieces. Special mention for the bit where Bond runs over the backs of a group of alligators is a tense sequence.

Moore delivers a solid performance as Bond. The dry wit and cheekiness he adds to Connery's more brutish take comes to light here. Jane Seymour is a good casting coice as the lady with the gift/damsel in distress. And last but not least the “inflated opinion” line. Still cracks me up.

Three stars. Solid popcorn muncher.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:15 PM
Evil Dead

Some old favorites.....

THE SHINING
DAWN OF THE DEAD
SAVAGE STREETS
FRIDAY, THE 13th
Old 11-17-2023, 08:45 AM
Evil Dead

Wink

I seen a bit of The House of Exorcism with that guy from Kojak. Originally, this movie was a haunted house flick. The exorcist scenes were added in to copy, well, I reckon you know what.
Old 11-18-2023, 05:08 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Cujo, I watch this every once in a while.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:04 AM
Evil Dead

THE CENTERFOLD GIRLS (1974)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

While BLACK CHRISTMAS of the same year gets a lot of credit for setting up the ground rules for films like HALLOWEEN, TCG gets a good jump ahead for the templates of the slasher movie boom after the heady success of FRIDAY, THE 13th. A dweeby uptight Andrew Prine is trying to "help" women who have posed in a PLAYBOY like magazine, by stalking, harassing and finally dispatching them brutally.
What made TCG more off beat to Me, is that it's told almost in anthology style ("The First Story"...) focusing on one Month's girl. Jamie Lyn Bauer (lovely and long runs on Soap operas in the 80's) is not only plagued with said psycho, but also picking up the wrong person and dealing with less than desirable house guests. Any help She might get is from a loathsome couple who would be more of a hindrance (Aldo Ray and Paula Shaw who showed as Mrs Voorhees in FREDDY VS JASON) and seriously a downbeat conclusion.
The second story follows the general tenet of slasher films, with hateful people (Francine York lobs out nasty zingers., particularly at Ray Danton, who she did not get along with), lots of nudity and splitting up even with knowing a killer is on the loose.
The final story has Tiffany Bolling (KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS) being a lot more plucky than the killer thought, although she goes through hell; not only with him, but also two sailors in an extremely distasteful part. Eventually>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>More SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
our "final Girl" and the killer go at it . Tiffany's acting was impressive as she showed very well the mounting terror one could experience in a situation, and the look and cries of pure rage as she turns the tables. From what I've read, Tiff was not happy the way her career was going and used that unhappiness for an impressive wrap up. ***
Old 11-21-2023, 01:32 AM
Evil Dead

COMING TO AMERICA (1988). Eddie Murphy comedy where He is an African Prince, tired of being pampered and not wanting to submit to an arranged marriage (although said wife to be is a total fox!); He decides to go to America with an aide (Aresenio Hall), pose as impoverished students and find a girl who loves him for himself.

There are quite a lot of funny moments here (I found most of my laughs came from Eddie's grin), but scenes that drag on and on, so much noise and a lot of objectionable people. It has the earmarks of a John Landis film after THE BLUES BROTHERS, so not surprised to see his name in the credits. **
Old 11-21-2023, 01:09 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
COMING TO AMERICA (1988). Eddie Murphy comedy where He is an African Prince, tired of being pampered and not wanting to submit to an arranged marriage (although said wife to be is a total fox!); He decides to go to America with an aide (Aresenio Hall), pose as impoverished students and find a girl who loves him for himself.

There are quite a lot of funny moments here (I found most of my laughs came from Eddie's grin), but scenes that drag on and on, so much noise and a lot of objectionable people. It has the earmarks of a John Landis film after THE BLUES BROTHERS, so not surprised to see his name in the credits. **
Good morning my neighbours!
Old 11-22-2023, 01:48 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Good morning my neighbours!
That part WAS funny!

THE STEPFATHER (1987).>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >> I haven't watched this in sometime and I still feel it holds up quite well, with Terry O'quinn very good as the psycho who wants to have the "Ideal" family ALA LEAVE IT TO BEAVER or FATHER KNOWS BEST. Sadly, life doesn't work quite like that, so after being "disappointed", He "takes care of the problem" (quite a creepy scene in the beginning) and moves on to try again.
He is very cheerful (I always thought Terry has an ingratiating smile), but scary when pushed particularly a scene involving "...this house is for families! You know, Home Sweet Home and all THAT crap!"

Shelly Hack (CHARLIE'S ANGELS) is OK as the new wife who suspects nada
and Jill Schoelen is pretty good as the rebellious stepdaughter who is trying to accept the situation, but has issues and can see things aren't quite as they appear to be. I do find the character played by Stephen Shellen is quite annoying running around, although You would expect him to be the one who wraps things up.

While it's a welcome sight, I feel the nude scene involving Jill in the shower is not necessary although Jill was in her 20's at the time, but her character is supposed to be a teenager, so it's kind of off putting. Just a close up of her washing her hair would have gotten the point across, but maybe because Terry has a nude scene in the shower also, the filmmakers decided it was OK. ***1/2
Old 11-28-2023, 08:23 PM
Evil Dead

Savage Weekend 1979 ★★½

Savage Weekend is a bit of a mean spirited slasher about a group of friends going out on a weekend and getting hacked up. Not very imaginative or engaging.

At least the killer has a nice mask and we get a few good kils. Also, extra half star for a young Christopher Allport (Jack Frost and one of Scully's exes) and William Sanderson who would also be on the X-Files, ironically playing somebody who's afraid of blood.

Death Screams 1982 ★★★

Death Screams is a fun little eighties slasher. It starts of promising with a good kill on the standard couple on Lovers lane. How anybody can be comfortable doing that on a motorbike is beyond me, but okay.

It then does the standard character introduction and only treats the viewer to a sparse few kills here and ther, just enough to keep us going. Noteworthy here is how the few kills, like the one with the arrow and the plastic bag, are executed well enough to make up for that sparseness. Also, we get a believable group of friends (though I'm not exactly sure what Kasey is supposed to be), which is not always common in a slasher, and some comic relief, like the kissing booth at the fair.

It's only at the end that the makers go all out with decaptations and dismemberments galore. And revealing the identity of the killer, even though it's not as much of an “ehmagerd” moment as perhaps hoped for.

Three stars. Fun little addition for your slasher collection.

I Eat Your Skin 1971 ★½

Wooden acting, swimming goggle zombies, lame story,... One Ed Wood will do, thank you very much.