Old 06-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to surfnazi
I totally understand what you're saying man but thats not entirely true at all. Sure not many original HORROR films have come out in a while but there have been a ton of amazing films that were just totally original and fresh and mind blowing in the last five years. Here are some examples.

Adaptation
Almost Famous
A Beautiful Mind
Closer
The Motorcycle Diaries
Donnie Darko
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Garden State
Ghost World
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
Lost in Translation
Moulin Rouge
Punch-Drunk Love
Requiem For a Dream
Traffic
Training Day
Vanilla Sky

And those are just off the top of my head. All fantastic films that came out in only the last five years.

Basically just don't see anything that's advertised on TV more than 10 times a day, because that means its a big studio production and probably completely unoriginal(not always the case). Check out indie films and Sundance films and artistic ones, those are the ones still going strong and great.

And to someone earlier, you don't have to consider Hitchcock a horror director because he is one, he came out with several horror movies but I'm not saying he's EXCLUSIVELY a horror director, you know?

No one can describe rock and roll --, well maybe Pete Townshend but thats cool.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by alkytrio666

I'm even thinking about checking Madagascar out because it's a fresh original idea...I mean, is there anyone out there besides Jenna who agrees with me on this?
i absolutely hated Madagascar .. so did my wife and another parent i know ...
Old 06-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
To you and Urge:

I agree with you guys, because that's not really my point. I don't always mind remakes...hell I absolutely LOVED The Amityville Horror and Dawn of the Dead remakes. What I'm saying is that hollywood ij just getting dumber, because there just isn't any creativity anymore. No fresh ideas. What the hell are they gonna remake in 20 years?! THE REMAKES?!?! It just pisses me off how they can't leave movies alone, pretty much every single movie soming out will either be remade or will have a sequel, prequel, etc...
See that is always my point. I don't really have a problem with remakes. There are several remakes that I really like; I also loved the Dawn of the Dead remake even though it doesn't touch the original. The Fly was much better than the original in my opinion. One of my favorite movies, Freaks was technically a remake. I just believe there are way too many remakes these days. No it isn't a new thing, but there was a time when there were more original films than remakes being released. Now it doesn't seem like they even try to put anything new out there. Like you say, it feels like ever other movie released is a remake. No effort is made to put anything new out there. And usually when they do these "reimaginings", they don't pay proper respect to the material it was based upon.

And I am mainly talking about horror films here.

Last edited by jenna26; 06-01-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnazi
I totally understand what you're saying man but thats not entirely true at all. Sure not many original HORROR films have come out in a while but there have been a ton of amazing films that were just totally original and fresh and mind blowing in the last five years. Here are some examples.

Vanilla Sky

Um, Vanilla Sky is a remake...LOL....sorry I couldn't resist. You really should see the original, I personally believe it is the better film. But the experience is kind of ruined if you see Vanilla Sky first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125659/

Last edited by jenna26; 06-01-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
i absolutely hated Madagascar .. so did my wife and another parent i know ...
Haha ok, nevermind. Thanks Urge, ya' saved me 7 bucks...but what should I see now?!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to surfnazi
Quote:
Originally posted by jenna26
Um, Vanilla Sky is a remake...LOL....sorry I couldn't resist. You really should see the original, I personally believe it is the better film. But the experience is kind of ruined if you see Vanilla Sky first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125659/
lol yeah I know I just remembered after posting it. I wrote it down cause I was just going down my "My Movies" section at IMDB and adding all my favorite films from the last five years, and that was one of em. Guess I should have looked that over.

However that doesn't mean Vanilla Sky isn't a great movie cause it's one if not my all time favorite film. It's much better than the original in my opinion, and everything from Tom Cruise's performance to the music to the insane imagery just makes this an awesome movie. I guess thats what I considered original about it.

No one can describe rock and roll --, well maybe Pete Townshend but thats cool.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Haha ok, nevermind. Thanks Urge, ya' saved me 7 bucks...but what should I see now?!

dont take my word for it - a lot of people liked it.

the guy behind me laughed all the way through it.

goddamn idiot ..
Old 06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnazi

However that doesn't mean Vanilla Sky isn't a great movie cause it's one if not my all time favorite film. It's much better than the original in my opinion, and everything from Tom Cruise's performance to the music to the insane imagery just makes this an awesome movie. I guess thats what I considered original about it.
I am a huge Crowe fan, but I am not crazy about Vanilla Sky. I guess, because I had seen the original and loved it. And I just didn't buy Tom Cruise in the role. But I do think that as remakes go, it is a fairly good one. Just not a favorite of mine. I was expecting too much from it I think, because I am such a Crowe fan (Almost Famous and Say Anything....are two of my favorite non-horror films :D ) so I went in expecting to be blown away. And I just wasn't.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:32 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Watched The Lady Vaoshes a couple days ago...very good movie! Check for my post in the last seen movie thread, it's more indepth.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Kubrick

Quote:
Originally posted by zwoti
north by northwest
Same here. North By Northwest is one of my favorite films ever. I also enjoy Rear Window, Vertigo and Notorious, amoung others.