Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 AM
For Vendetta

Fanboys, drool - Michael Mann bringing Depp and Bale together!

Jan 01, 2009

2009 is shaping up to be a banner year for blockbuster films, including PUBLIC ENEMIES, a story about John Dillinger, starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale.

You could say being an outlaw runs in Johnny Depp's blood. After all, his grandfather ran moonshine on the back roads of Kentucky during Prohibition. So it shouldn't come as any surprise that the actor jumped at the chance to play John Dillinger in Public Enemies. ''Dillinger was one of those guys, like Charlie Chaplin and Evel Knievel, that I was fascinated with at a young age,'' says Depp. ''And because of my grandfather, the character was pretty easy for me to connect to. In a way, this movie was a salute to him.''

Based on a book by Bryan Burrough, Enemies is a cat-and-mouse thriller about the early days of the FBI, and one agent's pursuit of the Depression-era bank robber whose dizzy reign of stickups and near escapes ended in a hail of bullets outside of Chicago's Biograph Theater in 1934. Dillinger lived fast, died young, and left not only a handsome corpse but a legacy as one of the most notorious criminals of the 20th century.

Directed by Michael Mann (Heat, The Insider), and co-starring Christian Bale as the dashing federal agent Melvin Purvis, Public Enemies might sound like a blood-soaked chapter of ancient history. But the film's themes couldn't be more timely: Dillinger was sticking up banks at a time when people weren't exactly rooting for the banks. As a result, he became something larger than life—a rock star with a tommy gun. ''Some people might disagree, but I think he was a real-life Robin Hood,'' says Depp, who just finished playing the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, due 2010. ''I mean, the guy wasn't completely altruistic, but he went out of his way not to kill anybody. He definitely gave a lot of that money away. I love the guy.''

Still hip-deep in the editing stage of the film, which he's readying for its July 2009 release, Mann remains in awe of his two leading men. ''Johnny has courage and immense power. It's all about the spontaneity of the moment for him. Christian works in a totally different way. He becomes the character so totally that he's that person 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The accent, everything.''

Mann shot on the actual locations where Dillinger and Purvis made headlines, because, he says, ''when your hand touches the same doorknob Dillinger's did, it starts to talk to you.'' The director even managed to get his hands on a still-preserved suitcase left behind by Dillinger after one of his narrow getaways. ''All of the dress shirts were still folded perfectly,'' says Depp. ''It was a real insight into the guy. Because everything was ready to go at a moment's notice. It was just economical and beautiful.''

Depp even got to wear the pair of pants that Dillinger had on when he was finally caught and riddled with bullets. ''It was amazing,'' he says. ''And—get this—we're the same size!''

Like we said, the man was born to play the part.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20249045_1,00.html
Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Yeah, looks awesome...but Channing Tatum has a significant role in it too.

I guess they had to even things out a little bit - Depp and Bale together might result in too much awesomeness to be contained, so they have to get that douche in the drag things down a little bit.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

oh yeay ... another ganster film.

whoopeee
Old 01-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Banned

I use to love the gangster movies of my youth

Bonnie & Clyde

A Bullet for Pretty Boy

The Vallachi Papers

Big Bad Mama

many more
Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Teaser pics!

John Dillinger

AND

Federal agent Melvin Purvis

Courtesy: imdb.com
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Should be fun.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 01-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I use to love the gangster movies of my youth

Bonnie & Clyde

A Bullet for Pretty Boy

The Vallachi Papers

Big Bad Mama

many more
i used to as well, got sick of them.

glorifying gangsters and telling us how bad they are at the same time. it doesnt work for me.

a criminal asshole is a criminal asshole - i'm tired of hearing about them in real life - sick of seeing them in the movies.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
i used to as well, got sick of them.

glorifying gangsters and telling us how bad they are at the same time. it doesnt work for me.

a criminal asshole is a criminal asshole - i'm tired of hearing about them in real life - sick of seeing them in the movies.
I can see your point but I never associate the character on screen with "real" people. At least not in these kind of movies.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Teaser pics!

John Dillinger

AND

Federal agent Melvin Purvis

Courtesy: imdb.com

Interesting.

Thought it would be the other way around.

Never seen Depp in a bad-guy role before.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Interesting.

Thought it would be the other way around.

Never seen Depp in a bad-guy role before.
The Astronauts Wife

Secret Window

Sweeney Todd