Old 11-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to bellamorte Send a message via Yahoo to bellamorte
Uzamaki

Has anyone heard of the Japanese film Uzamaki (Spiral) based on the horror manga by the same name? I am just wondering because I have the manga and oneday searching on the tv I picked it up and say it. I thought it was disturbing and beautiful!:D
Angels to others.

Pinhead:Do you know where you are? You are at the Door of Dreams. To Black Miracles and Dark Wonders- Another Life of Unknown Pleasures... And it's yours- Complete the pattern. Solver the Puzzle. Turn the Key...
Old 11-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Evil Dead

I thought the manga was better, but the movie was definitely creepy!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Shade
Uzumaki

I ordered this movie along with four others a while back. All I can say about this one is o.o wow. It might just be the single strangest movie I have ever seen and definately one of the best. If you haven't seen this order it if you have- any thoughts?

http://www.lhp.com.sg/uzumaki/#

Last edited by Shade; 06-01-2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:35 AM
That fucking Guy...

I posted about this film a lil while ago...so this is recycled material, but here ya go all the same:

"Uzumaki. The word seems to mean spiral or vortex. I think it may have been based on a Japanese comic...but anyway...I've only watched half so far, I turned it off 'cos it's a bit much to kinda "take in" all in one go...this films fucking mental - So far, people get obsessed by "the vortex"...go pretty crazy, and then do some pretty fucked up stuff...some of which is even hard to describe. The film-makers also do a few headfucks wth random imagery flashing inexplicably, and best of all, they add spirals into the scenery sometimes...they just kind warp it ever so much...just so you kinda see it, and wonder "hey, did I just see...?"
Anyway. I know none of this makes sense, and, well, neither does the film...but if you're into very weird fucked up craziness, you gotta see this."
Old 06-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Shade
Uzumaki means Spiral and it was based on a manga. I also had no idea there had been a thread already. The surreal imagery is what makes the movie so great. In essence it's just a movie about a cursed town. One guy gets obsessed with spirals and the obsession becomes contagious.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

I reccomend the manga over the movie. The manga is longer (obviously) and develops the individual curses (the snails, the hair, Shuichi's parents, and a lot of other ones that weren't in the movie) a lot more. Plus, where the ending of the movie doesn't make much sense and explains nothing, the ending to the manga is great, near perfect, and explains just enough, without getting all Scooby-Doo about it. But the movie is good, especially the Fellini-esque (or Burton-esque, either one would fit) direction and visuals.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Fulci Lives!

Send a message via AIM to MrShape Send a message via MSN to MrShape Send a message via Yahoo to MrShape
I love this film. A great movie, although I think they kind of ran out of steam at the end there and didn't know how to end it. Junji Ito does some of Japan's best horror comics, and the manga is probably his best work. Also, if you like Uzumaki, check out the same directer (Higuchinsky)'s film Long Dream. It's also based on an Ito comic. It's no where near as good as Uzumaki, but it's worth seeing. I think you can get it at AsianCult.com.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Evil Dead

1. Is it dubbed or subtitled?

2. Is there a DVD of this available?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Fulci Lives!

Send a message via AIM to MrShape Send a message via MSN to MrShape Send a message via Yahoo to MrShape
Quote:
Originally posted by Sick_As_Fuck
1. Is it dubbed or subtitled?

2. Is there a DVD of this available?
I've only seen subbed versions of both Uzumaki and Long Dream. They're on non region coded DVDs at the same place I mentioned: AsianCult.com. Should play in any American player (if they play in my Playstation 2, they'll play in anything). I've heard that Viz made a dubbed version of Uzumaki and was showing it around the festival circut, but that's not much to get excited about 'cause their dubs always suck. :mad:
Old 06-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Evil Dead

i havent sen this yet but i want to. it should be released in the states in a month i think. i seen the advertisement in rue morgue.