Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Misanthrope

The original Freddy snake was coloured dildo pink they had to cover it with goo n shit to get the scene past the ratings board.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Of course Nightmare on Elm Street is full of sexual content. It's implied that Freddy is not just a killer, but a molester as well. He's also an incubus. The series is every bit as sexually charged as the Friday the 13th movies, it's just very slightly less overt.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Misanthrope

What's sexually charged about the F13th flicks? Phallic machete and the whole attacking people fucking deal?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Mephistophiliac

That just about covers it. It's really heavyhanded and constantly sexual irresponsibility, to the point that it feels like Jason ends up embodying a lot of the danger that was just getting attached to sex in the 80s and 90s. Jason becomes a walking AIDS virus.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Misanthrope

I think I've read that somewhere before... quite a interesting analogy.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Mephistophiliac

It's slightly glossed over. People tend to forget the biggest component of it: the hockey mask. The facelessness is the key. There've always been elementals and facekillers in folklore, but in this case, they modernized it and punked the image up wonderfully. Now, instead of stealing people's breath at night, you have something tangible with a machete. He also kind of embodies the sexual element of the serial killer, which still felt like a new phenomenon for people to grasp by then. Every kind of disease that can come to bear occurs in the 80s slasher movie. If you read up on medieval slavic vampire folklore, you'll find a lot of stirring resemblances and that we still use the same kind of magical thinking. Revenants of drowned children and those who died of disease return to bring vengeance down on anybody who gets in their way, and the genotype of the creature shows what it eats. There are undead infants for example, that drink blood from a mother's breast, or criminals who return to their families. Jason's perfectly with type: Q: what killed Jason? A: sexual irresponsibility. Q: who killed Jason this way? A:teenagers. Q: who does he kill? A:teenagers. It's the same cycle of accountability and victimhood that slavic revenants have, but in this case the modern scapegoat is sexual irresponsibility.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 AM
That Hurts Me

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Since the remake is being made I decided to start a thread on what you think of the series so far.

I disliked 2, 5, freddy's dead and freddy's nightmares series.

A friend of mine said 1, 3 and new nightmare were good becuase they had originality.

And, of course I bought the boxset last weekend with NO SPECIAL FEATURES, except from the freddy vs. jason film which is my 2nd favourite Nightmare film.

What did you think? And don't redirect this thread becuase I haven't seen one on the first page.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Infection Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychooralien View Post
Since the remake is being made I decided to start a thread on what you think of the series so far.

I disliked 2, 5, freddy's dead and freddy's nightmares series.

A friend of mine said 1, 3 and new nightmare were good becuase they had originality.

And, of course I bought the boxset last weekend with NO SPECIAL FEATURES, except from the freddy vs. jason film which is my 2nd favourite Nightmare film.

What did you think? And don't redirect this thread becuase I haven't seen one on the first page.
The first is a great movie. The second is a sort of mishmashed 80's convention horror film, which was unintentionally funny in a lot of ways. The third is freaking stupid and the same can be said for the rest, not counting "New Nightmare" which was the best out of the series after the original.

Who is doing the remake?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Mephistophiliac

I like the third. It's more of a comic book than a horror movie, but it's still kinda cool.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
You might be interested in this thread from awhile back:

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27738