Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Music

Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM
HDC Idol

Memorable Music Scenes in Movies

One of my favorite things about movie soundtracks is that the movie can create some pretty interesting connotations to songs. Sometimes movies can make mediocre songs fun and fantastic when paired with memorable scene. Sometimes the contrast between the song playing in the background and the visuals on screen can burn an image into an audience's head. I know that Tarantino, for example, often contrasts his ultra-violent movies with an eclectic mix of songs.

What are some examples of songs that you LOVE based on the role that they play in movies - These could be songs that you had never heard of before you saw the film... Or songs that you were ambivalent to until you saw this certain scene...

One that comes to mind for me is Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" from Shaun of the Dead - I had never heard of this song prior to the movie, but I absolutely love the role that it plays in the climactic moment in the bar. It's funny but also nail-biting at the same time.

For my boyfriend, this scene turns what he always thought was a "mediocre" song to something fun and memorable.

Scene is at 1:50

--- Kill the Queen!
--- The What?!
--- The jukebox!

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Banned

Cool topic and excellent example. The first thing that popped into my mind is the scene in The Lost Boys with the greased up sax player. I have no idea what his name is or the songs name but it has always stuck out. A lot of the songs in that movie are memorable to me and take me back to the scene that it played.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Midnight toker

Playing with the Boys...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Whip In My Valise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGqB6...eature=related
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
HDC Idol

Sistinas666 - TOTALLY agree. That movie has some fantastic iconic songs. Also, it's been too long since I've seen it - I might have to check it out this weekend... BTW, I (finally) responded to your note about Red State (sorry for the delay; apparently I have no idea when people write on my wall) - Sent a PM to you earlier.

Straker - Ok, that made me LOL a bit. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy....... ;)

Wicker - Absolutely. That is possibly my favorite when thinking of this topic - I have to say that the way that Tarantino wove songs in Reservoir Dogs really made me think twice about how to interact with a movie's soundtrack. Utterly brilliant.

Another big one for me... I have to say, I was never really into The Pixies until the utterly brilliant and climactic finale...

It's a love story for today's modern sadomasochist.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Sistinas666 - TOTALLY agree. That movie has some fantastic iconic songs. Also, it's been too long since I've seen it - I might have to check it out this weekend... BTW, I (finally) responded to your note about Red State (sorry for the delay; apparently I have no idea when people write on my wall) - Sent a PM to you earlier.

Straker - Ok, that made me LOL a bit. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy....... ;)

Wicker - Absolutely. That is possibly my favorite when thinking of this topic - I have to say that the way that Tarantino wove songs in Reservoir Dogs really made me think twice about how to interact with a movie's soundtrack. Utterly brilliant.

Another big one for me... I have to say, I was never really into The Pixies until the utterly brilliant and climactic finale...

It's a love story for today's modern sadomasochist.

If this was FB I would "like" this comment...........
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
HDC Idol

BUBBLES has given me an appreciation for Rush that I don't think I ever would have had without Trailer Park Boys...

Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Banned

And another "like" for a Chrono-post.....
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Midnight toker

OK, a few more sensible offerings this time...

Deer Hunter- Can't take my eyes off you

Platoon- Adagio for strings

The Pianist- Ballad No. 1 in G minor, Opus 23

Blue Velvet- In dreams

Deliverance- Dueling Banjo's

There really are so many great examples, these are just a few that came to mind....Hell, I didnt even mention footloose yet.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Misanthrope

Definitely agree with Elias scene from Platoon. It's the first thing that came to mind for me. One of my favourite scenes of all time and the music just makes it.

The mighty Skynyrd's tune was put to good use in The Devil's Rejects. It actually chokes me up a little:

Buffalo Springfield's Learning To Fly in Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas was great too... couldn't find a decent video :mad:

Donovan's tune Atlantis really made this scene in Goodfellas (starts 1:04). I seriously get goosebumps every time I watch it:

Johnny Boy's entrance in Mean Streets to The Stones' Jumpin' Jack Flash:

You could argue Scorsese really wrote the book on this shit.

One more...