Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
It is. A real blast to watch, with friends and over a beer-soaked weekend. Definitely tossing this a rec.
is it available on DVD?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 AM
For Vendetta

No idea. Downloaded it through a torrent.

Hmm...dont think its out on dvd yet. Didn't find a listing anywhere on Amazon or similar sites after doing a search.

This is their official site - http://www.houseofthewolfman.com/

A wider release would definitely help. Don't think any studio offered to do that.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post

------------------------------------------

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Well, I went into it knowing that the script kind of removes the magic from the book (and I love the book), so I didn't let that bother me. I just watched it as a movie. So from there, it's a pretty good watch. Special effects are really fun, but so obviously special effects you can never completely sink into it. I really liked the pacing, and I thought they did a great job taking their time with the story...that is until the end. The third act is mostly awful; it's clear the studio couldn't resist an inflated, extraneously action-packed (and cheese-packed) climax and hurried resolution.
That said, I'm still glad I went to see it. Burton's vision is there, mostly, and that was fun to see. Helena Bonham Carter's turn as the Red Queen is pretty wonderful. And there's certainly more to enjoy in Alice in Wonderland than not, I thought, but there are definitely enough problems to also make it frustrating.

And one more complaint, as pissy as it is: they kept calling the creature the Jabberwocky. Jabberwocky is the poem, Jabberwock is the creature. Sure it's a fairly small issue, but it's a detail you'd think a huge multi-million dollar blockbuster would get right.
I have one word for you my Amontillado loving friend, and that word is Svankmajer. Just saw his Alice. Here's a man that cares about Wonderland and as much as he plays with the imagery, he keeps the spirit very much intact. His Alice sees the hollow, frightening, ersatz qualities of the world around her, made up of toys, tools, bare identical rooms and...well, stuff. It captures the wonder and the barebones logic of Lewis Carroll's world wonderfully. For once the Hatter and Hare are as frightening and offcenter as they are in the book. I was really happy with Svankmajer's vision.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I have one word for you my Amontillado loving friend, and that word is Svankmajer. Just saw his Alice. Here's a man that cares about Wonderland and as much as he plays with the imagery, he keeps the spirit very much intact. His Alice sees the hollow, frightening, ersatz qualities of the world around her, made up of toys, tools, bare identical rooms and...well, stuff. It captures the wonder and the barebones logic of Lewis Carroll's world wonderfully. For once the Hatter and Hare are as frightening and offcenter as they are in the book. I was really happy with Svankmajer's vision.
Yes! I love that version. You said it all already, but I love how disorienting it is, which is really the only film adaptation to capture that (important) quality from the book. The Disney version is the only other one that I really love.
Have you seen the 1903 version? It's pretty fun:

Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Wow. That is some thrifty storytelling. I'll have to show my girlfriend this. She's always on the lookout for new versions of Alice.Have you seen the 30s one? I'd like to look around for it, but don't know if it's worth my time and attention.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Cranky

I've seen the one from the 30s and I love it. It's mainly cool for the experience of seeing Cary Grant as a turtle and WC Fields as Humpty Dumpty. And Edward Everet Horton was born to play The Mad Hatter.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I've seen the one from the 30s and I love it. It's mainly cool for the experience of seeing Cary Grant as a turtle and WC Fields as Humpty Dumpty. And Edward Everet Horton was born to play The Mad Hatter.
Verryy innteresting.... I think I might need to check this Alive in Wonderland 1930 version, especially to see how Carey Grant is in it lol
Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Wow. That is some thrifty storytelling. I'll have to show my girlfriend this. She's always on the lookout for new versions of Alice.Have you seen the 30s one? I'd like to look around for it, but don't know if it's worth my time and attention.
I haven't seen that one, but after what NE said, I think I'll have to. I had no idea all of those people were in it !
Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Waste Disposer

the 1903 version if you want to watch for free

http://www.theauteurs.com/films/24647
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Lake Placid

The Cottage

The Mist

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac