#21  
Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 PM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: In a dark, dark place.
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
*GASP*

What a horrible thing to say!

I loved the concept of Shadow of the Vampire so much that I came in with lots of expectations! Unfortunately for me, it didn't meet them. I didn't really like Shadow, but I probably ruined it for myself. What happened in the story is about what I thought would happen, but how it was done wasn't my cup of tea.

I get it though, most of the silent film formats are harder to get into... the text frames, the over acting, and freeze in place poses.
See I am so weird because I think most of the new movies today are hard to get into. I think that the actors today can't act their way out of a paper bag and everything is drowned in CGI effects with scenes that move so fast that you can't even tell what is really happening.

I seem to love horror movies from before my time. They were the best.
__________________
We R Going 2 Eat U!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
See I am so weird because I think most of the new movies today are hard to get into. I think that the actors today can't act their way out of a paper bag and everything is drowned in CGI effects with scenes that move so fast that you can't even tell what is really happening.

I seem to love horror movies from before my time. They were the best.
I know what you mean. There's good and bad in various eras. The pace of some 1930/40s films lend to comfortable contemplation; where some modern films can seem a bit chaotic.

I think the acting ability varies the same in each period. But I do like the more natural acting and more varied shots of the modern films, where appropriate.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 AM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: In a dark, dark place.
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I know what you mean. There's good and bad in various eras. The pace of some 1930/40s films lend to comfortable contemplation; where some modern films can seem a bit chaotic.

I think the acting ability varies the same in each period. But I do like the more natural acting and more varied shots of the modern films, where appropriate.
Yeah there's good and bad in every era. For example movies in the 70's and 80's had some of the worst special effects. It was easier to spot makeup on an actor or tell that a monster was just a puppet. But sometimes people did a very good job and made the special effects look as real as possible.

Same with CGI effects today. Some look really good and some are so obviously computer graphics.
__________________
We R Going 2 Eat U!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Yeah there's good and bad in every era. For example movies in the 70's and 80's had some of the worst special effects. It was easier to spot makeup on an actor or tell that a monster was just a puppet. But sometimes people did a very good job and made the special effects look as real as possible.

Same with CGI effects today. Some look really good and some are so obviously computer graphics.
That's true, so many older monsters weren't very convincing, that is where the director didn't get creative enough. Obviously not seeing the monster at all is sometimes the scariest and horrifying scenes there are.

Then I think of 'The Thing 82' where the practical effects are more effective and scarier than any modern CGI monster effects I've yet seen. There's still something about an actual physical presence, though on film, that is weighty and creepy; and CGI has yet to capture that well enough.

The great thing about modern CGI is the engrossing photorealistic background settings. The giant (background) mattes of the past were great, but modern CGI worlds have been increasingly more interactive with the characters.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-16-2018, 02:22 PM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: In a dark, dark place.
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
That's true, so many older monsters weren't very convincing, that is where the director didn't get creative enough. Obviously not seeing the monster at all is sometimes the scariest and horrifying scenes there are.

Then I think of 'The Thing 82' where the practical effects are more effective and scarier than any modern CGI monster effects I've yet seen. There's still something about an actual physical presence, though on film, that is weighty and creepy; and CGI has yet to capture that well enough.

The great thing about modern CGI is the engrossing photorealistic background settings. The giant (background) mattes of the past were great, but modern CGI worlds have been increasingly more interactive with the characters.

Yeah I agree and I think about the original Night of the Living Dead vs Dawn of the Dead.

NotLD was in black and white which really worked in the movie's favor. If it was in color I imagine the zombie make-up would have looked less realistic and it would have been laughable.

Even though Dawn of the Dead was a classic you have to admit that the zombie make-up looked unrealistic as fuck. They looked like a bunch of blue smurfs.

Then came Day of the Dead and you could tell Tom Savini put a lot of extra work into the zombie make-up. They looked realistically rotted with dirty tattered clothes and it was believable that the movie was set a few years after the zombies took over the world.

But now in the new zombie movies they seem to use CGI effects for zombies. I miss the old days when they used make-up. Some of the make-up effects looked really good like in Lucio Fulci's Zombie and there were a few slight flaws but that didn't stop me from getting immersed in those movies.
__________________
We R Going 2 Eat U!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-16-2018, 03:27 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Yeah I agree and I think about the original Night of the Living Dead vs Dawn of the Dead.

NotLD was in black and white which really worked in the movie's favor. If it was in color I imagine the zombie make-up would have looked less realistic and it would have been laughable.

Even though Dawn of the Dead was a classic you have to admit that the zombie make-up looked unrealistic as fuck. They looked like a bunch of blue smurfs.

Then came Day of the Dead and you could tell Tom Savini put a lot of extra work into the zombie make-up. They looked realistically rotted with dirty tattered clothes and it was believable that the movie was set a few years after the zombies took over the world.

But now in the new zombie movies they seem to use CGI effects for zombies. I miss the old days when they used make-up. Some of the make-up effects looked really good like in Lucio Fulci's Zombie and there were a few slight flaws but that didn't stop me from getting immersed in those movies.
LOL! Yes, some of those blue makeup jobs in Day of the Dead did make them look smurfy. Much better in Day. And in Zombi it was very effective.

Some of the CGI blood squirts in Walking Dead, and other productions, are just comical. Might as well just throw some sharks flying through the air.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-16-2018, 03:35 PM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: In a dark, dark place.
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
LOL! Yes, some of those blue makeup jobs in Day of the Dead did make them look smurfy. Much better in Day. And in Zombi it was very effective.

Some of the CGI blood squirts in Walking Dead, and other productions, are just comical. Might as well just throw some sharks flying through the air.
I always wondered how they got the zombies in Lucio Fulci's Zombi to look so stiff like a real corpse? I used to work in a funeral home and I can tell you that real corpses really do look stiff like that.

The way they moved actually felt more realistic to me than Romero's zombies. A lot of the zombies even had eyes that were closed shut and one had eyes that were half-open and unmoving so it was scary how they knew you were there and would hunt you down even though they shouldn't be able to see you.

Gotta give props to Fulci's zombies for being great actors in such minor non-speaking roles.
__________________
We R Going 2 Eat U!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I always wondered how they got the zombies in Lucio Fulci's Zombi to look so stiff like a real corpse? I used to work in a funeral home and I can tell you that real corpses really do look stiff like that.

The way they moved actually felt more realistic to me than Romero's zombies. A lot of the zombies even had eyes that were closed shut and one had eyes that were half-open and unmoving so it was scary how they knew you were there and would hunt you down even though they shouldn't be able to see you.

Gotta give props to Fulci's zombies for being great actors in such minor non-speaking roles.
I know what you mean. There doesn't seem to be much attention spent on the attributes of each individual zombie, which could be an horrific aspect, that is where there isn't you cliched swarm scene.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 AM
LuvablePsycho's Avatar
LuvablePsycho LuvablePsycho is offline
Rotten Stinky Zombie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: In a dark, dark place.
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I know what you mean. There doesn't seem to be much attention spent on the attributes of each individual zombie, which could be an horrific aspect, that is where there isn't you cliched swarm scene.
I almost felt like there was something sad about Fulci's zombies in that movie. It's as if they were all sad to be walking around dead and hungering for human flesh.

Maybe it's just because of the movie's soundtrack?

Oh and I got the original Nosferatu on Bluray today!
__________________
We R Going 2 Eat U!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I almost felt like there was something sad about Fulci's zombies in that movie. It's as if they were all sad to be walking around dead and hungering for human flesh.

Maybe it's just because of the movie's soundtrack?

Oh and I got the original Nosferatu on Bluray today!
Nice!
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:07 PM.