Old 04-07-2020, 09:15 AM
Evil Dead

Cool First True Horror Film Turns 100

Here's an article about it, and it's free to watch on YouTube.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...mVjvETS18T9zyg
Old 05-03-2020, 02:56 AM
Little Boo

A Nightmare on Elm Street

For millions of people of my generation the first horror movie was A Nightmare on Elm Street ... I think I still have trauma to see it ... I think it undoubtedly caused a before and after in the film genre, without forgetting its same Jason from Friday the 13th
Old 05-11-2020, 09:35 AM
Evil Dead

Ive watched Caligari twice in the last three months,and even though it is 100 years old it still holds up well.
This is something modern movies need to learn from,and that includes a certain Rob Zombie to name but one.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:29 PM
Scares Little Kids

It depends what you mean by true horror film. According to this article there were horror films before Caligari:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film
Old 07-03-2020, 10:18 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricker View Post
It depends what you mean by true horror film. According to this article there were horror films before Caligari:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film
Yeah, hard to define and pin down. There were some early horror themed shorts that were a bit more of a comedy. Which of the early films do you think are the first real horror films that had no comedy?

Old 07-03-2020, 10:58 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Yeah, hard to define and pin down. There were some early horror themed shorts that were a bit more of a comedy. Which of the early films do you think are the first real horror films that had no comedy?
Depends on what you mean by comedy. From what I understand, overacting was par for the course in a lot of silent films.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:00 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
I haven't seen any of the pre-Caligari films so I don't know how much comedy they had in them. Even Caligari could come across as unintentionally funny to a modern audience though!

As an aside about this, I saw a YouTube video a while back about the first film with a twist. I think they said it was a Orson Welles film and was surprised they left out Caligari, but that was probably because they weren't aware of it.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:57 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Depends on what you mean by comedy. From what I understand, overacting was par for the course in a lot of silent films.
It's subjective; no right or wrong answers. I guess I mean almost certainly not featuring comedy, rather than no comedy.

Tricker posted that link that had a ton of the first 'horror' films, so I figured he read it and might have an opinion.

I checked out a few, and had seen a few before. For instance, the 2 and a half minute short film Le Manoir du Diable (1896), known in English as both "The Haunted Castle" or "The House of the Devil" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPmKaz3Quzo is rather slapstick in many places, and not a story to boot. I'd consider it a horror themed comedy short, if not an expose of special effects.

You have an opinion on which might be the first straight up horror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricker View Post
I haven't seen any of the pre-Caligari films so I don't know how much comedy they had in them. Even Caligari could come across as unintentionally funny to a modern audience though!

As an aside about this, I saw a YouTube video a while back about the first film with a twist. I think they said it was a Orson Welles film and was surprised they left out Caligari, but that was probably because they weren't aware of it.
I don't how many of those films you looked at from that page you linked? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film There's a lot. Of the ones I saw, I think Faust in Hell (Faust aux enfers) (1903) is probably the first horror film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgnZbfKcHw

Old 09-07-2020, 05:52 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
You have an opinion on which might be the first straight up horror?
Not really. As you said, it's hard to pin down. Personally, I would go with Doctor Caligari or maybe another one of those early 20s, late 10s (short) films which I am now forgetting.

The infamous film of the train entering the station maye have scared the heebie jeebies out of people back when it came out, but it never was the intent to actually scare people. So I'm not counting that.

Also, what do we do with films that are documented but perhaps not preserved?
Old 09-07-2020, 11:05 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Full length counts, not shorts

2 dr. jekyll and mr hyde's were also released in 1920 (i don't know if i consider the 40 minute one full length tho) as well as the third part to The Golem trilogy (how he came into the world)....and they made a dr. jekyll and mr hyde short in 1912 and the even older georges melies horror shorts, and others like frankenstein 1910 but i don't count shorts (yah need the full pants)....

Release dates from oldest to newest: Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.... February 26 1920
Barrymore Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde....March 18 1920
Sheldon Lewis Dr. Jekyll..... April 1920
The Golem.... October 29, 1920 (In Germany)

yaaah...

were there any full length horror before 1920??....I don't think so....

Last edited by TaeKwonZombie; 09-07-2020 at 11:25 PM.