#1  
Old 04-07-2020, 08:15 AM
classic_horror_fan classic_horror_fan is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 116
Cool First True Horror Film Turns 100

Here's an article about it, and it's free to watch on YouTube.


https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...mVjvETS18T9zyg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-03-2020, 01:56 AM
Matteo Matteo is offline
Little Boo
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 1
A Nightmare on Elm Street

For millions of people of my generation the first horror movie was A Nightmare on Elm Street ... I think I still have trauma to see it ... I think it undoubtedly caused a before and after in the film genre, without forgetting its same Jason from Friday the 13th
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2020, 08:35 AM
Anthropophagus's Avatar
Anthropophagus Anthropophagus is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Good old blighty
Posts: 847
Ive watched Caligari twice in the last three months,and even though it is 100 years old it still holds up well.
This is something modern movies need to learn from,and that includes a certain Rob Zombie to name but one.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Tricker Tricker is online now
Scares Little Kids
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 18
It depends what you mean by true horror film. According to this article there were horror films before Caligari:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2020, 09:18 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricker View Post
It depends what you mean by true horror film. According to this article there were horror films before Caligari:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film
Yeah, hard to define and pin down. There were some early horror themed shorts that were a bit more of a comedy. Which of the early films do you think are the first real horror films that had no comedy?
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Tommy Jarvis's Avatar
Tommy Jarvis Tommy Jarvis is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Belgium
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Yeah, hard to define and pin down. There were some early horror themed shorts that were a bit more of a comedy. Which of the early films do you think are the first real horror films that had no comedy?
Depends on what you mean by comedy. From what I understand, overacting was par for the course in a lot of silent films.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2020, 06:00 AM
Tricker Tricker is online now
Scares Little Kids
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Yeah, hard to define and pin down. There were some early horror themed shorts that were a bit more of a comedy. Which of the early films do you think are the first real horror films that had no comedy?
I haven't seen any of the pre-Caligari films so I don't know how much comedy they had in them. Even Caligari could come across as unintentionally funny to a modern audience though!

As an aside about this, I saw a YouTube video a while back about the first film with a twist. I think they said it was a Orson Welles film and was surprised they left out Caligari, but that was probably because they weren't aware of it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2020, 05:57 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Depends on what you mean by comedy. From what I understand, overacting was par for the course in a lot of silent films.
It's subjective; no right or wrong answers. I guess I mean almost certainly not featuring comedy, rather than no comedy.

Tricker posted that link that had a ton of the first 'horror' films, so I figured he read it and might have an opinion.

I checked out a few, and had seen a few before. For instance, the 2 and a half minute short film Le Manoir du Diable (1896), known in English as both "The Haunted Castle" or "The House of the Devil" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPmKaz3Quzo is rather slapstick in many places, and not a story to boot. I'd consider it a horror themed comedy short, if not an expose of special effects.

You have an opinion on which might be the first straight up horror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricker View Post
I haven't seen any of the pre-Caligari films so I don't know how much comedy they had in them. Even Caligari could come across as unintentionally funny to a modern audience though!

As an aside about this, I saw a YouTube video a while back about the first film with a twist. I think they said it was a Orson Welles film and was surprised they left out Caligari, but that was probably because they weren't aware of it.
I don't how many of those films you looked at from that page you linked? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film There's a lot. Of the ones I saw, I think Faust in Hell (Faust aux enfers) (1903) is probably the first horror film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgnZbfKcHw
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:00 AM.