Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies

Old 07-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Cranky

I think it's probably the top rated 75 horror films on Rotten Tomatoes. Sure, there's some crap there, but a surprising amount of what's there should be.

There's crap in HDC's top 100 as well.

Quote:
To calculate Best Horror, we used a special mathematical formula, forged in the very depths of hell by Hollywood accountants. This formula considers a movie's Tomatometer, its number of reviews (requiring at least 20) and release year, delivering a unique weighted ranking for each.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff

Last edited by neverending; 07-12-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I think it's probably the top rated 75 horror films on Rotten Tomatoes. Sure, there's some crap there, but a surprising amount of what's there should be.

There's crap in HDC's top 100 as well.
I take all the lists with a grain of salt because there aren't any guidelines. How do you rate what the greatest Horror movies of all time are? Box Office Sales? Impact on the Genre or Culture in general? Scare factor? Memorable characters? It's tough to judge. How much of personal preference goes into those lists?

I remember when "The Ring" came out and I swear that's all I heard about for weeks. How great and scary that movie was. It took me 3 consecutive days to get through that movie. The first time I sat down to watch it I fell asleep about 30 minutes in due to sheer utter boredom. I went back the next day (well rested) and started the movie from where I left off and fell asleep again after about another 30 minutes due to extreme boredom. I went back and finally made it through the last bit on the 3rd day. That's the only time I've ever fallen asleep multiple times on a movie, let alone taking me 3 days to get through it.

Obviously, I wouldn't rank it very highly but yet I see it on lots of lists. I use the lists more as a tool to see if there's something I haven't seen and might want to watch.

Last edited by realdealblues; 07-12-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
I take all the lists with a grain of salt because there aren't any guidelines. How do you rate what the greatest Horror movies of all time are? Box Office Sales? Impact on the Genre or Culture in general? Scare factor? Memorable characters? It's tough to judge. How much of personal preference goes into those lists?

I remember when "The Ring" came out and I swear that's all I heard about for weeks. How great and scary that movie was. It took me 3 consecutive days to get through that movie. The first time I sat down to watch it I fell asleep about 30 minutes in due to sheer utter boredom. I went back the next day (well rested) and started the movie from where I left off and fell asleep again after about another 30 minutes due to extreme boredom. I went back and finally made it through the last bit on the 3rd day. That's the only time that has ever happened in my life with any movie.

Obviously, I wouldn't rank it very highly but yet I see it on lots of lists. I use the lists more as tool to see if there's something I haven't seen and might want to watch.
That is funny because I thought the Ring was stupid for the longest time, despite never seeing it. Then, I actually watched it and was completely blown away. I thought it was an excellent film with a great story and really good acting. Additionally, I thought it was very good at building suspense. Ultimately, I believe that this film was definitely as good as the hype claimed it was. Of course, supernatural stuff naturally scares me. Note: it was not as scary the second time, but no less good, in my opinion.

Last edited by metternich1815; 07-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Initially, my score was 54, but by the end of today, it will be up to 58. By the way, I do not agree with all the films on the list (ex: Paranorman and the House of Wax-remake being some examples), but, overall, as neverending stated it is a pretty good list. I do agree that The Thing (1982) is a glaring omission. I also completely disagree on what has been said about The Cabin in the Woods (2012). It definitely deserves to be on a top 75 list. In fact, it would make my top 20 list, easy. It was an absolutely brilliant film that was both intelligent and hilarious. The acting was incredibly good and the character were very well-developed. Additionally, I loved the story. It was incredibly weird and, personally, I have always been a lover of strange storylines (2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies). Anyway, in my opinion, The Cabin in the Woods definitely deserves to be in the top 75, if not top 20 of all-time.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Hellraiser

Pretty good list.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Initially, my score was 54, but by the end of today, it will be up to 58. By the way, I do not agree with all the films on the list (ex: Paranorman and the House of Wax-remake being some examples), but, overall, as neverending stated it is a pretty good list. I do agree that The Thing (1982) is a glaring omission. I also completely disagree on what has been said about The Cabin in the Woods (2012). It definitely deserves to be on a top 75 list. In fact, it would make my top 20 list, easy. It was an absolutely brilliant film that was both intelligent and hilarious. The acting was incredibly good and the character were very well-developed. Additionally, I loved the story. It was incredibly weird and, personally, I have always been a lover of strange storylines (2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies). Anyway, in my opinion, The Cabin in the Woods definitely deserves to be in the top 75, if not top 20 of all-time.
See, I had the exact opposite opinion of The Cabin In The Woods...lol. It wouldn't go in my top 2000. All the hype about the twist ending and how the movie was so "messed" up. I watched it and knew in the 1st two minutes the whole story of the movie and by 20 minutes in I knew exactly how it was going to end. I felt like I was a baby being spoon fed everything never being allowed to think for myself.

2001: A Space Odyssey however I agree with you on...it is an absolute masterpiece. Kubrick gave you every chance to think for yourself and decide what you were seeing.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
See, I had the exact opposite opinion of The Cabin In The Woods...lol. It wouldn't go in my top 2000. All the hype about the twist ending and how the movie was so "messed" up. I watched it and knew in the 1st two minutes the whole story of the movie and by 20 minutes in I knew exactly how it was going to end. I felt like I was a baby being spoon fed everything never being allowed to think for myself.

2001: A Space Odyssey however I agree with you on...it is an absolute masterpiece. Kubrick gave you every chance to think for yourself and decide what you were seeing.
I understand what you are saying, but disagree. I do agree it would have been better if they did not explain anything.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Undead

Quote:
What a crappy list. I've seen all of them but Paranorman. I don't see how half of them made the list. Attack The Block is one of the best 75 horror movies of all time...really!? Friday The 13th isn't on the list but Paris Hilton and the House Of Wax remake makes the cut? Wtf?
I was pretty shocked about the House of Wax remake being included, as well as Paranorman. I would have liked to see Cabin Fever over that.

Anyways, my score is 62.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post
Heh, yeah I don't think that list was comprised of a lot of people's input. It's just one guy's opinion of the best 75. I didn't realize that was the remake of House of Wax. -1, haven't seen it. Probably never will.
True dat. There's around 10 I think are poor films -- sign of one person's list. I thought that was the original House of Wax as well.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM
ventricle

Quote:
What a crappy list. I've seen all of them but Paranorman. I don't see how half of them made the list. Attack The Block is one of the best 75 horror movies of all time...really!? Friday The 13th isn't on the list but Paris Hilton and the House Of Wax remake makes the cut? Wtf?
Say, Real, did you see The Innocents? What did you think of it?