Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-29-2004, 06:21 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Cops Watching For "Satanic Ritual Child Abuse'

Metropolitan Police Force Defends Satanic Abuse Course

UK - The Metropolitan Police Force has been criticised for sending its officers on a course which helps identify the satanic ritual abuse of children.
The force sent 30 officers on the one-day event in October but has been criticised by some experts who say the ritual abuse does not exist.

There are 400 officers who work for the Met's child abuse team.

Its commander Det Ch Supt Peter Spindler said they were keeping an open mind when looking at child abuse cases.

Previous research commissioned by the government into ritual satanic abuse (RSA) followed in the wake of a number of local authority scandals, where claims were found to be without foundation.

These included clusters of allegations, such as the Orkneys and Rochdale cases in 1991 where dozens of children were removed from their homes by social workers.

Professor Jean La Fontaine, an anthropologist, was asked in 1994 by the Department of Health to carry out investigation into abuse claims.

She told BBC News "I feel quite strongly that the pursuit of exotic cases which are categorised as Satanic is actually detracting from our search of abusers of children in less exotic ways.

"Ten years on, and I would expect the information and conclusions to have been assimilated into everybody's approach to solving cases of this sort.

Lessons not learnt

"But it appears the lessons have not yet been learnt."

But barrister Lee Moore, who runs the awareness course, said: "I do believe SRA exists because as a lawyer you have to look at the evidence and ask why psychologists, psychiatrists, police, lawyers up and down the country, and abroad, are receiving similar accounts from people who have never met each other."

Mr Spindler defended the decision to go on the course, saying: "If survivors of abuse are telling us that this is the type of thing they have experienced in the past, then we need to be open minded."

Dr Richard Hoskins, who runs a consultancy called Religion and Crime, advised the team looking at the "Adam" case, where the headless, limbless body of an African boy was found in the Thames.

The Met believes he was the victim of ritual murder.

Dr Hoskins says the scientific scepticism surrounding SRA may now need to be reviewed.

"Unless we are being racist, if religiously motivated crime exists in one culture then it can, potentially, occur in every culture," he said.

"The danger, of course, is going back to the position we were in 20 years ago where certain people were looking for it under every stone and round every corner making out this was massive organised abuse.

"That's going too far. We just need a balanced line here."

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 12-30-2004, 10:13 AM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
sdik ruoy ffo taeb ot uoy sdnammoc nataS

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE
Old 01-04-2005, 08:19 AM
The horror of the minds

What a buch of sickos
Fear is in the mind of the beholder. If that mind is strong engough fear can be defated. If the minds is weak, and the fear is storng, the fear will control the life. THe fear couldn't be defeated the life would be controled by it forevere.