Old 07-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Cinematic Horror Archive

Cinematic horror archive

I hope this is cool, as I am not a spammer, I just want to do a bit of self-promotion. But if the mods have a problem with this thread, they can lock it.

Cinematic Horror Archive is my horror film review site:

www.cinematichorrorarchive.wordpress.com

Putting a lot of care and effort into each article, I write pieces for movies old and new of all sub-genres. My views are blatantly honest and non-biases. You will obviously not agree with everything I have to say, but that is great as it is partly the point of film criticism. My critique is intelligible and sound and I write for newcomers of the genre in mind as well as the veteran fans. I include in each review an original theatrical poster, screenshots, links for clips and trailers, and if available a link to watch the film online.

I have just recently returned to writing, for the first time since before moving to Thailand in the new year of 2006. When I was still living in my native homeland of England, I spent four years while in education, trying to break into journalism covering movies and music. I am a big film fan, and horror has always been my favorite genre of all the ones that I am into. I have studied film and I really like to write. Therefore, it makes sense for me to write about cinematic horror, as this is my way of getting involved.

There are only six articles published on the site now, so it is not much of an archive at this moment. I divide my time between teaching myself screenwriting, and always working on the next piece, so it will be nearer to a more comprehensive archive in the future.

The reviews up on the site are:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Friday The 13th Part 2 (1981)

Frozen (2010)

Paranormal Activity (2009)

The Crazies (2010)

The Evil Dead (1981)

‘The Evil Dead’ is more of a feature/review, and is called ‘The Evil Dead (1981): Video Nasties, Misspent Youth, and the Ultimate Experience in Grueling Horror’.

As well as all this American modern horror, I will also be covering the early Universal era, golden age, British (Hammer and modern), French, Italian, J-horror, Spanish etc.

I will keep you updated by bumping up this thread each time I publish new material.

If there is a film you would like me to review, or if you would just like to slag me off – contact me:

[email protected]

Thank you all very much for your time,

Dave J. Wilson

www.cinematichorrorarchive.wordpress.com

Last edited by Vlad The Impaler; 07-06-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Cinematic Horror Archive

C.H.A Update Info: 09/07/10

I am still writing, honest!

I just picked a funny old time to start up a horror film review site. No sooner had I got it up and running, and shamelessly plugged it as much as I possibly could, I have had to endure the heartache of a break up with my girlfriend. However, I am already getting over it, and moving on with my life – been there done that loads of times! Therefore, with the extra time on my hands, not having to think about somebody else, I am just about to finish the next article.

Much like the ‘The Evil Dead’ piece, it is a feature/review. Generally, it will be one of my last articles on an American modern horror film, for a while. I will make two exceptions though; the first is for new releases. When I have finished this piece, I will be writing a review of ‘Predators’ (2010). The second is for sub-genres I have not covered yet. Other than that, I will be concentrating on other countries and eras of cinematic horror. My reason for this, is that my first eight reviews now (six published, two in the works), have all been American, and from the modern era. It is, after all, a Cinematic Horror Archive. When I have a more evened out archive, I will then free myself, and write about whatever I want. If it is horror, I will write about it!

The site has started out pretty well. The number of views per day, for the first two days, was very good, but has slumped since. It has only been up about a week and a half though. It is obvious I just need to keep writing, and publish my work as often as possible. What feedback I have had, has been positive. I would however, like to see more comments for the articles, with your opinions on the films, and talk of my opinions on them. I write to encourage conversation amongst you all, as that is part of the fun of film criticism. An added bonus is that I can get some lesser-known and underrated films out there. For example, ‘Frozen’ (2010); despite a warm reception from critics, and the people who actually saw it liking it, the distributors – Anchor Bay – shate all over it!

I will never stop plugging my site. However, for now, I need to concentrate on getting some more work published. Every time I finish new material though, I will for dam sure be getting it out there! I have valid opinions on film, and as many people as possible should know about them. This is because, as I said before, one of the parts of film criticism, which I really enjoy, is the conversation that it induces. This is why I do it! I love film, particularly horror, and I really like to write. It makes sense for me to do this, and I certainly do not do it for nothing, so I would like as many people as possible to read my work, and give feedback on it. I have nothing to gain financially, as my site was not created for profit; it is a hobby. Therefore, spamming is not a word that comes into it, as I am not trying to get people to sign up to anything, so I can reap the financial benefits.

The smaller sites I have used to self-promote, I have put links up for on my homepage. Not just for returning the favor, but also because they are also young fledgling sites that need a helping hand – we are all in the same boat. They are also sites I enjoy reading, and I want to make many people aware of them.

Thanks,

Dave J. Wilson

Last edited by Vlad The Impaler; 07-09-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Cinematic Horror Archive

A new article is up.

It is a feature/review, entitled 'Dark Ride (2006), and the Fall of the Slasher.'

Just go to the homepage.

;)

Old 07-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Cinematic Horror Archive

Help! Writers wanted.

Please read carefully:

It has become apparent to me that in order to not only keep my fledgling little site updated on a more regular basis, that it would also be more interesting to see work by other writers on it. This is so readers can see more unique perspectives, with equally unique writing styles.

If you are a serious writer with a passion for the horror genre, and you want to contribute reviews, then I encourage you to do so. There are no deadlines to meet, and if you have a well-written piece of intelligible and sound film critique, all ready to submit – do it! If you are planning to write an article, let me know and get on with it, then e-mail it to me when you are done. If it is cinematic horror - write about it! You can write reviews on any film from any era of any sub-genre, from any country. I do not mind you writing a piece on films I have already reviewed, because it adds another perspective on the movie. However, generally, please try to write about other films.

You can contribute as often as you like, and I will make sure I get your work out there as much as I can – I will plug it to fuck! I promote the site and my own writing as much as I possibly can within the horror community. If you have valid opinions on the genre, then as many people as possible should know about them! I will put up links for your reviews with your name, on my own threads on the forums of horror websites, along with the threads for the film’s title. I will also contribute your reviews to the external reviews links on IMDB, again with your name on it. When I publish your work on my site, I will make sure your name goes on it below the article, so it is not confused with my own material. Copyrighted to my site, nobody has the right to reprint or reproduce your work anywhere else, without your permission. My site has a rating system of four, with no half ratings, so please specify what your rating is of the film, below your submitted review.

No time wasters though! I will be blatantly honest here, and tough but fair. If you have the slightest feeling of uncertainty that you will not write anything, then do not make me the empty promise of submitting work. If you know, that you will commit to writing it 100%, then fine. It also has to be good quality writing, with focused opinion – do not ramble on and go off point. If you submit work, and it is not up to standard, I will not publish it.

The idea behind Cinematic Horror Archive is for it to be, hopefully in the near future, a comprehensive archive of reviews for horror films. With your help, this can reach fruition. At the time writing, since officially being open on the 30th of last month – just over two weeks ago – my site has had 614 views. Not bad is it? It is better than a kick in the bollocks! Again, with your help, I can get the brand name of Cinematic Horror Archive out there, and get a hell of a lot more views, and I will make sure you get credit for that. Who knows what the future has in store, and what the site will become from these humble little beginnings.

E-mail me your work here:

[email protected]

Thank you all very much for your time,

Dave J. Wilson

Last edited by Vlad The Impaler; 07-19-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Cinematic Horror Archive

Check out Robert A. Newberry’s review of ‘Prom Night’ (1980), on my site.

Just go to the homepage.

;)

Last edited by Vlad The Impaler; 07-19-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Cinematic Horror Archive

I have published a review of ‘The Final Destination’ (2009), by Robert A. Newberry.

Just got to the homepage.

;)

Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Cinematic Horror Archive

Check out my review of 'The Revenge of Frankenstein' (1958).

Just go to the homepage.

;)

Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Cinematic Horror Archive

Go to the homepage for a review of 'Pontypool' (2009), by Robert A. Newberry.

;)

Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Cinematic Horror Archive

C.H.A Update Info: 03/08/10

Go to the homepage for my feature/review – ‘The New York Ripper (1982), and the Rise of the Second Godfather of Gore: Lucio Fulci’,

I have set myself the target of publishing a new article once a week from now on. Hopefully soon, Robert will turn in some more material as well, as he has become a better writer with each review, and it will keep the site updated more often.

Thanks for reading,

Dave J. Wilson

Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Cinematic Horror Archive

C.H.A Update Info: 15/08/10

I have just published my latest article, a feature/review entitled ‘Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986), and the Genesis and Execution of Evil’:

http://cinematichorrorarchive.wordpr...ution-of-evil/

I finished it a lot later than planned, as I wanted to publish it last Tuesday at the latest. I am now preparing to write the next piece.

Thanks very much for reading, but please try to leave comments on the articles on the site.

Cheers,

Dave J. Wilson