Old 09-23-2012, 06:37 PM
HDC Idol

Reposting here because I'd love to hear what y'all think. I know that J LOVED this, so bring it on, J! Tell me about it!

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)

Uhm. Ok. Wow.

I was really trying NOT to keep my hopes up for this one because I was worried that I'd be disappointed... But to be honest, this is truly one of those rare movies that remind me of what I absolutely love horror, gives me hope for modern horror movies, and just satisfies me as a fan. Simply stated, it's a horror movie lover's horror movie.

I love the nod to pretty much every movie trope ever (though my boyfriend kept pointing out the very obvious and prolific Raimi nods which drove me nuts but that's OK)...

I have a slight qualm over the ending, probably just because the scenes leading up to the end were so ridiculously AWESOME, GORY, SCARY, and esoteric, I didn't want it to end... And also I think this is one of those movies that's almost too clever for it's own good, meaning the story is so odd, unique, and dark that no ending would be satisfying.

HOWEVER...

[SPOILERS]

I was just pontificating over how incredibly neat it would be if they released an extended Blu-Ray edition that had 4 alternative versions, based on what they were about the "choose" in the basement (the conch, the Pandora's ball, the necklace, the movie reel, the musicbox) - Would there be any difference in the ending based on there choice? I think it would be a neat way to extend this concept of modern sacrifice having to be based on the victim's will - If their will is different, does the world end? o.O The geek in me wants to find out.

Oh. OH. And I cheered out loud when Sigourney Weaver stepped in the final scenes... GEEKGASM!!!!!!!

I ALSO totally and absolutely geeked out to the nod to Portal - I mean... As a horror-loving console player, I've pretty much just wet myself with excitement over that.

[/SPOILERS]

Ridiculously good. Also one of those RARE self-conscious movies that isn't annoying and pretentious. It was very fun, very well-directed, and acted, and thoroughly enjoyable.

HIGHLY recommended.

4.5/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Evil Dead

That's awesome to hear!! Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Evil Dead

I won't knock it til I've seen it, though I've heard a lot of good about it including the review above.
Moved it to the top of my NetFlix queue so when they have I'll get it next.

I've seen some seriously bad movies in my day, and some that were so bad, they were good.
So, I've learned to give everything a shot personally before passing judgement. I hate a lot of stuff others have loved, so we'll see.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
One of the greatest comedy horrors of all time, without exaggerating. This is one of those that for me, if you didn't like it, you didn't watch it. All bases covered, and it rocked. I spit soda everywhere and woke up everyone in my house laughing at the *Spoiler*

"Purge" button scene.

9/10 will buy and watch very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 PM
HDC Idol

Oh, God, that scene was brilliant. Didn't want it to end. I can barely express the joy it brought me.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Oh, God, that scene was brilliant. Didn't want it to end. I can barely express the joy it brought me.
My mom almost fell off the bed when it happened. She laughed so hard. That just shows the general audience should love it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 09-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Scares Little Kids

Didn't even know Joss Whedon did this movie lol, for that alone I want to see it. However all this positive talk surrounding it also makes me want to see it even more. Perfect time too since October is almost here!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Scares Little Kids

Didn't even know Joss Whedon did this movie lol, for that alone I want to see it. However all this positive talk surrounding it also makes me want to see it even more. Perfect time too since October is almost here!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Hellraiser

'Tis a fantastic film! Worth going in completely blind, and if you can find it at some obscure cinema, even better! As close to a 10/10 modern film has given us in the intelligent "horror" space.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 PM
FYFJoe

I thought it was good, not great, but probably one of the best in "modern horror" . I was a bit disappointed in the ending, felt like they had it pretty much wrapped up and it could have done without the last minute or so.

I do agree with what someone said above about the alternate endings in reference to the basement, that'd be an awesome idea too bad they didn't do that.

"FollowingYourFears.com"

Tags
cabin in the woods, just seen it