Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Scares Little Kids

Which horror series has the best continuity?

I know most horror series don't seem to care about continuity as much, as sequels always seem to add something new to a character or some crazy twist, but which ones have been fairly consistent? I think Saw did a fairly good job at trying to make sense of everything, although it's often far fetched.

Also, this is my first post, I'm totally new to the boards but I love horror movies, and I am actually in pre production on a horror feature that I co-wrote, so that is always fun.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Evil Dead

I think consistency is good in certain ways. We like it to continue on sometimes. Like Halloween 2, Evil Dead 2, and Phantasm 2 (and the rest of the series is a continuation). They all started where the other left off and we got to see the same characters again. It makes more sense if we can keep learning more about the main characters and how they fit into the story than to do installments like many in the iconic slasher films (Halloween 3+, Friday the 13th 3+) They are just new people and the body count is high with no real added elements or something to keep it cohesive to why all these people are relative to the killer/monster/ghost/dead and the story. I think that is why other filmmakers do set out to remake the iconic films. All the irrelevant sequels seem to bog them down. Its generally refreshing with good remakes to make the icons scary again, whereas if the series kept it consistent and stopped at the right place then that doesn't happen. That's my take on that.
Interesting post. :)

Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Scares Little Kids

I feel as if it's good and bad in some ways. A lot of older films weren't necessarily anticipating sequels, so that made the originals more iconic, and often the sequels not nearly as good. Now it seems they make films with a sequel in mind so it might not seem as complete as older films, but the new sequels will be better than the old sequels.

So in short...

Originals > Remakes
Remake sequels > original sequels

This isn't always true of course, but it might be true in terms of continuity.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Living Dead

Resident Evil? If that's even considered a horror movie. Its based on a pre-existing story line and Mila Jovovich is stunning.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSOlson View Post
I feel as if it's good and bad in some ways. A lot of older films weren't necessarily anticipating sequels, so that made the originals more iconic, and often the sequels not nearly as good. Now it seems they make films with a sequel in mind so it might not seem as complete as older films, but the new sequels will be better than the old sequels.

So in short...

Originals > Remakes
Remake sequels > original sequels

This isn't always true of course, but it might be true in terms of continuity.
Yeah that does make sense, because a lot of the original directors did not make the films even thinking they would be so popular and they were also low budget, so they definitely did not plan on sequels. Good point.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Horror Fan

NOES is pretty consistent, as is Scream.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Living Dead

Scream is pretty consistent, the reasons behind the killings make sense and they all kinda tie into each other....Sidney just has really fucked up friends and family
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM
BOOGEYMAN'S BACK !!!

Saw/Scream/Friday the 13th/Nightmare on elm ST./Halloween. Love them all! In this question though, SAW gets my vote just in the suspense, and creativity of the plot/story overall, and because SCREAM never really made me scared once, because I could take the guy, not to intimidating to me but good story.

But I think for some reason I personally enjoy the other 3 the most. Because I watched them so young, and they definetely gave me way more nightmares.
So I will remain loyal and bias toward them, for them being my favorites for all time.

1.SAW
2.SCREAM
3.Nightmare on ELM ST.
4.HALLOWEEN
5.FRIDAY the 13th that order on continuity, but not in my heart! Nice Post

Last edited by H3orH3D_Script4U; 02-21-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Cranky

The classic Universal Frankenstein trilogy.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
The classic Universal Frankenstein trilogy.
...and Hammer's Frankenstein series as well.

Tags
continuity, horror