Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Iniquity
Ive got the first edition prints autographed, took me years to collect them. and they are indeed worth a few bucks.

The last offer I got for them was 860 bucks for the set.
they'll be worth a lot more in time.

the only one i read .. was the one where he killed a guy while he was playing chess with him .. drove the king up into the guys brain through his eye - and escaped.

i remember the movie version .. it was limp as hell compared to the book.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Je_Suis_Phnomne

Send a message via AIM to Iniquity Send a message via Yahoo to Iniquity
Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
they'll be worth a lot more in time.

the only one i read .. was the one where he killed a guy while he was playing chess with him .. drove the king up into the guys brain through his eye - and escaped.

i remember the movie version .. it was limp as hell compared to the book.
That would have been Preist Kings of Gor.

And yeah the movie was a MAJOR MAJOR let down. Serious waste of film there for sure.

I wonder what Mr. Norman will think when and if one of his 3 kids ever get ahold of his books and give em a read. Pretty barbaric society and they dont beat around the bush on descriptions either lol
Old 02-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Iniquity
That would have been Preist Kings of Gor.

And yeah the movie was a MAJOR MAJOR let down. Serious waste of film there for sure.

I wonder what Mr. Norman will think when and if one of his 3 kids ever get ahold of his books and give em a read. Pretty barbaric society and they dont beat around the bush on descriptions either lol
yeah a little more meat and gristle ...
i'm a big fan of the older stuff .. John Carter Warlord of Mars, etc ..
and the other series written by Moorcock .. using a pseudoname
that i cant remember..
I enjoy pretty much anything written by Burroughs.

Now thats something i have .. book 2,3,4,5 of the Tarzan series ..
I believe they are 1st edition hardcovers ... not mint .. they came from an old USA military library ...so there are a couple of stamps inside.

Still cool to have.

I've always been a book collector ... i get rid of the stuff i dont want to keep on ebay but the collection I am keeping ..fills a room (in boxes .. wall to wall ceiling to floor)

our next project is to get a library built in the front room of the house
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Je_Suis_Phnomne

Quote:
yeah a little more meat and gristle ...
i'm a big fan of the older stuff .. John Carter Warlord of Mars, etc ..
and the other series written by Moorcock .. using a pseudoname
that i cant remember..
I enjoy pretty much anything written by Burroughs.

Now thats something i have .. book 2,3,4,5 of the Tarzan series ..
I believe they are 1st edition hardcovers ... not mint .. they came from an old USA military library ...so there are a couple of stamps inside.

Still cool to have.

I've always been a book collector ... i get rid of the stuff i dont want to keep on ebay but the collection I am keeping ..fills a room (in boxes .. wall to wall ceiling to floor)

our next project is to get a library built in the front room of the house
Books are a great investment if you know what you are doing. Hell just one of my Gor books is worth 250. I try to go for 1st editiion prints as often as possible. I'll sell everything off when I retire. Hell Ive got a collection of trading cards *various types* over 300,000 from the early 1940's to the early 1990's. I dont even remember what all is in there. and honestly dont really care, just havent dumped them off yet.

kinda of off topic but you mention about getting rid of stuff you dont want on ebay. Read this guys feedback on ebay, he is NUTS.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...&iid=-1&de=off
Old 02-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

thats funny !!

its the guys gimmick ... he's smart.
People will want to deal with him to see what he writes next.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Je_Suis_Phnomne

Quote:
thats funny !!

its the guys gimmick ... he's smart.
People will want to deal with him to see what he writes next.
pretty unexpected too, he sells and buys some pretty high end merchandise, but I agree. I've been watching his replies for months now
Old 02-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

I've always found it puzzling how folk can compare films to books in any way other than scripting - they are two very different media.

Often the best literary work does not translate well (if at all) to cinema, simply because working the imagination of the reader is a skill a 1000 times more pure and creative than the effect any film - with its images, sound and flashy trickery - can have on the viewer.

Cases in point: The Beach (engrossingly dark book, pretty but soulless movie), American Psycho (mind-blowing, unfilmable violence in the book - commendable but glaringly restrained movie), The Shining (characters, supernatural elements and angle of King's sinister novel significantly altered by Kubrick in his effective but rather mechanical film).

Fight Club to a lesser extent - Jim Uhls and David Fincher did just about as good a job as anybody could possibly do with Palahniuk's book.

One other thing - don't you find some who crow about the book being much better are simply trying to advertise their intelligence in that they actually read books, instead of sitting in front of gormless videos scoffing popcorn like you do...?

Stuck up gits.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:14 PM
No, fuck YOU

Okay, then let´s try to turn it around and mention wich movies are as good or better than the books. This is much tougher....

I would say that the screen version of John Steinbeck´s classic "Of mice and men" with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich was very, very well made and acted.:)

Tobe Hooper`s version of Stephen King´s "Salems lot" is also scarier than the book. That´s gooooood!!:D

Last edited by Angra; 02-08-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

there are some films that do try to translate the book very literally (hmmmmm ....thats kind of redundant to say)

The most notable being the Harry Potter films.
Lord of the Rings was a good try but with that much content ... impossible.

It's much more possible for kids books.

I really became aware of this when i Saw the 2nd potter movie .. and felt like i had already seen it .. right down to every set .. especially the Weasleys house ... it was as if the images were picked right out of my head.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:38 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
there are some films that do try to translate the book very literally (hmmmmm ....thats kind of redundant to say)

The most notable being the Harry Potter films.
Lord of the Rings was a good try but with that much content ... impossible.

It's much more possible for kids books.

I really became aware of this when i Saw the 2nd potter movie .. and felt like i had already seen it .. right down to every set .. especially the Weasleys house ... it was as if the images were picked right out of my head.

You´re right Urge. The movies was almost taken from your own mind/imagination? Kinda weird?....

I also loooved Lord of the rings, but havn´t read the books. Only the comics.:rolleyes: