Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 01:45 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Fantastic idea, Sculpt! You should post a weekly movie for us to watch and review! 8)

This one was great. Like you said in your review the characters seemed rather emotionless and it made it hard to connect with them. But I confess I did get drawn into the dialogue. It wasn't until the hunt began that I realized how heavily they relied on it, and when there was no talking it got a touch boring. The traps they tried to make for the baron were clever, and I would have liked to see them try more of those. Taking the girl with him I expected to be a stupid move but she was actually helpful in making the traps so I guess I wasn't disappointed there. My favorite part had to be the trophy room reveal. You knew what was going to be in there but it's still so amazing to see such lovely detailed prop work in such an old old film. It was surprisingly less dramatic after that scene.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!

Last edited by Roiffalo; 08-20-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:01 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Fantastic idea, Sculpt! You should post a weekly movie for us to watch and review! 8)

This one was great. Like you said in your review the characters seemed rather emotionless and it made it hard to connect with them. But I confess I did get drawn into the dialogue. It wasn't until the hunt began that I realized how heavily they relied on it, and when there was no talking it got a touch boring. The traps they tried to make for the baron were clever, and I would have liked to see them try more of those. Taking the girl with him I expected to be a stupid move but she was actually helpful in making the traps so I guess I wasn't disappointed there. My favorite part had to be the trophy room reveal. You knew what was going to be in there but it's still so amazing to see such lovely detailed prop work in such an old old film. It was surprisingly less dramatic after that scene.
Yeah, I was hoping to see a whole lot more of these two hunters in a battle of wits, more traps, going all MacGyver, have the good guys try to ambush Baron when he sleeps at the castle.

Maybe it was my mood when I saw it, but I was hoping for more of an intense, fast paced, intellectual rush of a film.

I'm interested to see what they did in the remake, but it didn't get good reviews.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:40 AM
Horror > Everything

Nice to read your opinions, guys. Like the movie or not, it's worthy of discussion. Good choice, Sculpt!

I am a big fan. Admittedly, The Most Dangerous Game suffers a bit from age, but it still has thrills and chills. The performances are decent, and in the case of Leslie Banks in the role of Count Zaroff, outstanding. His take on the obssessed maniac is all shifty eyes and sarcastic malevolence. Fay Wray takes the lead female role, and while its not her best performance, she handles the part with her usual aplomb, and looks gorgeous doing it.
I love the story and I think the filmmakers did a fine job laying out the simple plot. Yes, the characters are broadly drawn and portrayed, but it''s simply a sign of the times.
The final hunt itself is pretty exciting and the shots of our protagonists being chased through the jungle are a bit of an adrenaline rush for me. Stellar camera work!
A well known side note: The famous Zodiac Killer claimed to be inspired by both the book and the movie. Man is indeed the most dangerous game.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Horror > Everything

How does the " Is Ghost Exist? " thread get 64 comments and this one only gets a dozen?
Old 09-09-2016, 01:59 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
How does the " Is Ghost Exist? " thread get 64 comments and this one only gets a dozen?
No spelling mistakes.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
No spelling mistakes.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:23 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Bumping this, because for a Horror Forum, we sure don't talk enough about Horror. I thought Sculpt had a terrific idea with this thread and I'd love to see some interest in it.

Have another movie in mind, Sculpt?
Old 11-01-2016, 03:14 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
Bumping this, because for a Horror Forum, we sure don't talk enough about Horror. I thought Sculpt had a terrific idea with this thread and I'd love to see some interest in it.

Have another movie in mind, Sculpt?
Good suggestion, Repo'd! I want to pick a good film, as I hate leading anyone to start sitting through a dud. I'll have my radar out this week for a good film easy for folk to get a hold of.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Good suggestion, Repo'd! I want to pick a good film, as I hate leading anyone to start sitting through a dud. I'll have my radar out this week for a good film easy for folk to get a hold of.
Looking forward to it!