Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up

Barbie and the magic of Pegasus 8 / 10
Old 06-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Police Academy, still funny every time i watch it.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 06-03-2006, 03:09 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally posted by scouse mac
Police Academy, still funny every time i watch it.

I take your humor is still stuck in the 80s?

Yikes!..:rolleyes:
Old 06-03-2006, 03:41 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally posted by Angra
I take your humor is still stuck in the 80s?

Yikes!..:rolleyes:
It was a sophisticated era

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 06-03-2006, 05:15 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
I've never checked out the original House Of Wax.
I enjoyed the remake tho..... good fun flick.
The original is a completly different, but much better film. Parts of it are really cheesy though...it was made in 3-D, so there are alot of pointless things flying aat the screen. Aside from that, it's one of my favourite movies. Great performance from Vincent Price, cool effects for the time, and even an amusing early appearance by Charles Bronson:D.

On top of that, Im not sure if it's the same in whatever region you inhabit, but the Region 1 DVD also has Mystery of the Wax Museum, the film witch the Price version is a remake of. Ive actually never watched it the whole way through, but the first half hour or so is almost identical.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
House of Wax [2005]

Though it doesn't even come close to the fantastic original, in all honesty this wasn't an awful film. Sure, it has flaws, but it's still fairly enjoyable.

First off, I have to applaud the filmmakers for dropping Vincent Price's character. It was one of Price's best roles and it would have been a shame to see it slaughtered.

I quite enjoyed the twist that they put on the original plot, the numerous nods it made to the original were, for the most part, subtle and well-done. The twists are all really obvious and nothing is very original, but it still makes for a decent enough story.

The main downfalls of the film are the actors and the script. The cast is pure eye-candy for both sexes, including the talentless queen of eye-candy "actresses", Paris Hilton. The bad guys were sufficiently over-the-top, but really how hard could it be to play the kind of evil hillbilly that we've seen in half of the slasher movies since Texas Chainsaw? As for the script, we have a few gems like "It is wax, like... literally" and "He looks like Elton John, only gayer". Wow. I think those lines really speak for themselves as far as how well-written the script is.

All in all, this is a decent modern day slasher that really doesn't deliver anything new. It has a decent plot, good effects and some fun deaths, but ultimately the poor acting, awful writing and lack of originality really bring it down. It's worth a watch though, I enjoyed it.

6/10
Nice to see that someone gave it a fair chance, I really enjoyed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 06-03-2006, 07:14 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Mortal Kombat

I've always been a big fan of the Mortal Kombat games, and while this might not be the greatest movie, it captures the feel of the games perfectly.

Let me start off by saying that, like in 90% of movies based on video games, the actors and writing are awful. Robin Shou is particularly bad, however his sarcastic banter with Johnny Cage (Linden Ashby) is pretty amusing. For the most part though, the guy really needs to stick to martial arts. Christopher Lambert has a few decent moments as Raiden, but his character is wasted and underused. The script delivers a few cheesy laughs, but that's about it. When it tries to be serious, it falls flat on it's face.

The effects are hit-and-miss. Some of them are great, mostly the ones involving Shang Tsung (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa). A lot of the CGI was very poorly done, and the anamatronic Goro wasn't a whole lot better.

The plot was pretty contrived, but what can you expect from a video game movie? It wasn't anything spectacular or overly original, but it kept my interest. However the massive plot hole that they call an ending really bugs me. Sure, it leaves it open for the sequel, but it just doesn't make sense! Despite it's flaws, this is a fairly enjoyable action movie that's worth seeing at least once or twice. However the flaws are plenty, so it's rating isn't as high as it could have been.

5.5/10
Old 06-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Ssh...did you hear that?

Send a message via Yahoo to Miss Olivia
Mortal Kombat came out when I was a teenager, so naturally I have a soft spot for it. The theme song was really popular when it came out where I grew up.

I just watched a Troma video called The Class of Nuke Em High...I really liked it. It's naturally low budget and cheesy, but those kind of flicks sometimes entertain me more than the expensive Hollywood movies they put out there. I think I'll probably buy it.
Let your bloodline feed my youth
------------------------------
Ssshhh....did you hear that?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:47 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Hahahahaha...

A bunch of my friends invited me to go see The Break Up tonight. Looks awful, but hey...it's better than sitting at home being a loner.

I cant believe Im going to a chick flick without a date though...
Old 06-03-2006, 12:48 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Olivia
Mortal Kombat came out when I was a teenager, so naturally I have a soft spot for it. The theme song was really popular when it came out where I grew up.
I love the theme song, I have it on my Ipod:D