Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Cranky

American Zombie.

This was... interesting. Low-budget mockumentary set in a time when zombies are commonplace and are involved in a struggle to be recognised as people with rights.

It's not really about zombies... it's more about the dynamics of student filmmakers, documentary filmmakers and the way they exploit their subjects.

The plot and "surprise twists" are telegraphed broadly early on, so there's not much interest there. I think this would be of interest mainly to film students who will identify with a lot of the very low-key humor.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM
From The Beyond

Special Halloween screening of The Shining (1980) What better way to spend Halloween than go to my local cinema (a sold out audience) and see this Kubrick masterpiece :) On the big screen the cinematography and sound were outstanding. Plus we got to see extra scenes not on the previously released DVD of it that I have! There several of them. The best new scene being near the end when Wendy runs into a room packed with cobwebs and corpses. Despite the packed crowd and that the whole thing was just under 3hours (though that did include some shitty adverts and trailers at the start) but the audience was all in full concentration and not as noisy as usual-yes there were still a lot of people eating, drinking and going the toilet but the film was loud enough to drown all this out. I could go back and watch it again-I enjoyed it that much :) Going to have to lend my mate a copy of the book as thanks for getting us tickets for it :)
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Get back home from Bangkok after having a fine little trip (Oct 25 to Oct 31) for my nephew's medical check ups. Watched this movies in the theaters on mostly late night shows...

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012)

Not too bad but surely quite a disappointing follow-up of the first film.

>>: C

Looper (2012)

A fine sci-fi time traveling thriller but didn't get why the hell they did that awful & unnecessary eye-make-ups for Joseph Gordon-Levitt?

>>: B-

Sinister (2012)

The idea & the creep factors were promising with a few well developed characters & some fine family drama elements. But I was more interested to see more of that supernatural demonic evil entity "Bughuul" than the ghosts of those lost/possessed children with silly make-ups. It could worked better if Baghuul got more screen presence & some direct business behind those fantastic family murders. Expecting to see Ethan Hawke doing more Horror movies in future.

>>: B-

Taken 2 (2012)

More or less same like the 1st part but they should have add more fight scenes than shoot outs & car chase sequences.

>>: C+

Paranormal Activity 4 (2012)

The "best" & creepy part of watching this movie in the theater at around 10:30 PM was the number of audience in the theater was only 2 including me! And I guess both of us were very doubtful of each others intention (other than watching the movie) of being in the theater at that time. But after first 20 odd minutes some scream-queen like ladies filled some empty seats & I get my attention back to the movie.
An almost pointless sequel with pretty low & average scares.

>>: C-

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

**SPOILER ALERT**

Luckily got the chance to catch it on IMAX-Siam Paragon, Bangkok. Overall, bit disappointed as I expected a lot from this concluding part of Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy (particularly after hearing/reading lots of good stuffs about it). Found it bit messy at times as there was a clear rush to show & put so many things that could be managed better in form of a mini series I guess. So certainly, not comes near to THE DARK KNIGHT (2008) in terms of a compact & beautifully designed plot structure, character development & even action sequence. Still it was entertaining though. Mostly liked its finale & 'The ROBIN Begins' elements of this final installment. Before rebooting the whole franchise with a different director(s), I think WB & DC can at least offer Mr. Nolan to produce a spin-off movie about the Boy Wonder, staring J Gordon-Levitt.

>>: B+

Last edited by roshiq; 11-02-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
I disagree about Sinister Roshiq! I think the lack of showing Bughuul made the movie better. No overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posher778 View Post
I disagree about Sinister Roshiq! I think the lack of showing Bughuul made the movie better. No overkill.
I understand your point & I'd like to agree with you if they could come up with a better alternative of evil presence or force who's working for Bughuul. I'm not saying that I didn't like the idea of kids or possessed children thing (which is the main working area of Bughuul's style of terrors) but the way they revealed them on the film with some silly make-ups...just didn't work for me. The atmosphere & the build up were excellent and so I was expecting to blown away by something really cool & creepy at the end but bit frustratingly didn't get that.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Midnight toker

Bumping a very old thread to say....

Halloween III is on BBC 2 right now for anyone in the UK that isnt sleeping already. :cool:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012)

Not too bad but surely quite a disappointing follow-up of the first film.

>>: C
Man, I'm looking forward to this one too in 3D. I really like the first movie. They got the whole abandoned scary town environment right.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
I understand your point & I'd like to agree with you if they could come up with a better alternative of evil presence or force who's working for Bughuul. I'm not saying that I didn't like the idea of kids or possessed children thing (which is the main working area of Bughuul's style of terrors) but the way they revealed them on the film with some silly make-ups...just didn't work for me. The atmosphere & the build up were excellent and so I was expecting to blown away by something really cool & creepy at the end but bit frustratingly didn't get that.

I admit I'd like to have seen something else too, I'm just saying I liked that they didn't overdo the main villain on screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 PM
horrorward.com

No Tell Motel and Poultrygeist

I don't have much to say about either of them.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 PM
For Vendetta

Completed the Halloween Nights marathon with...