Old 12-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Hellraiser

Any Reviewers Out There?

Looking for anyone interested in reviewing a horror movie called "Old Man of the Rooks." This film was done as a 12-part serial throughout 2017, with a new chapter coming out each month since January. (The last chapter will come out on the last Friday in December.)

The completed project will make it's full debut at Poison Peach Film Festival X, in Augusta, Georgia, on January 6, 2018. It will also be available on DVD at several conventions coming up in Atlanta, and Charlotte. We would love to hear what people have to say about it, both good and bad.

So, for any interested reviewers: print, blog, podcast, video, whatever, give it a look. The link to the playlist of chapters is linked below. If you decide to review it, make a comment here, and feel free to post a link in the comments to any, and all reviews. Thank you in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkpQ...KFxrbdabtsVfis
Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
Looking for anyone interested in reviewing a horror movie called "Old Man of the Rooks." This film was done as a 12-part serial throughout 2017, with a new chapter coming out each month since January. (The last chapter will come out on the last Friday in December.)

The completed project will make it's full debut at Poison Peach Film Festival X, in Augusta, Georgia, on January 6, 2018. It will also be available on DVD at several conventions coming up in Atlanta, and Charlotte. We would love to hear what people have to say about it, both good and bad.

So, for any interested reviewers: print, blog, podcast, video, whatever, give it a look. The link to the playlist of chapters is linked below. If you decide to review it, make a comment here, and feel free to post a link in the comments to any, and all reviews. Thank you in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkpQ...KFxrbdabtsVfis
Are there any Creatures of the Black Lagoon in it?

Old 12-08-2017, 05:02 PM
ventricle

Ah, don't mind him, Onslow. Just checking the funny bone.

I watched Chapter 1. I see you're playing the new husband in this. It's intriguing so far. I like that (according to IMDB) you guys are a team of directors and writers (listing ten for each). How do you do that? Is one person directing per episode? Do you guys write as a team?

Love what you're doing!

Do you only want a review of the entire 12 part series? Do you beat to death anyone who has comments/suggestions on anything other than the story and camera shots? Like perhaps sound?

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-08-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Hellraiser

Mmmmmm.... mmmmm

1) I can't promise no lagoon creatures will show up, since I haven't see the last chapter. I feel confident in saying probably not.

2) How you review it is up to you. A chapter by chapter could be fun, but I would also love an overall review that sums the whole thing up. (Of course, that can't happen until the end of December rolls around, and chapter 12 pops up.) I would be interested in hearing the things people think work, or don't work, as far as storylines go. Production values can be addressed. Acting can be addressed. Sound, and music can be addressed. Noting those "what the heck" moments can be fun. How was the beginning of the "film"? how was the end of the "film" (when that comes out)? AND any other issues, concerns, fun things, horrible things, etc. that you decide to comment upon will be appreciated, and noted.

3) I am in it. Initially I was just one of a number of local actors who agreed to be available all year for the project. In November (end of October, actually), I was asked to fill in for one of the 12 directors, who was out of the country, and couldn't do it. So, I became a director, also

4) There are actually 12 directors (officially), one for each month. These directors were also the writers of their respective chapters, though occasionally, they utilized co-writers. The crews also changed from chapter to chapter, including the editors.

5) Wages of Cine (pronounced Wages of Sin) is actually a production company formed by three of my fellow Augusta film-makers. They have been heading up projects for several years, practicing the production side of things. But there is a group of actors and film-makers in Augusta, who usually work together to make these projects happen.

6) WE don't beat anyone to death for any reason. I cannot vouch for rogue scarecrows with large fence posts, though.

7) Is there anything else I didn't address?
Old 12-09-2017, 03:05 PM
ventricle

Well again, you do an excellent job as Bobby in chapter 1. And I love that there's a different director/writer per chapter. You no doubt have a team that cares about each others' development.

I might suggest, in particular for chapter 1 (because it's the first impression chapter), to allow the audiotrack an edit.

There was only one line I had to re-listen to to understand, that was, "manure filled air" at the 2:11 mark. The audio can simply be re-recorded and added to the audiotrack(s).

I recommend not using three vocal track lines recorded father from the mic, as the extra natural reverb is a bit jolting from the rest of the audio. You hear those three spots at 3:14 "can make a mess", 3:42 "woman at church", and 4:02 "until he went to a better place". Can nab them from the other takes, or re-record the lines, whichever is easier.

Lastly, just remove the audio where Deb picks up the rope at 5:05, as it's just loud unpleasant fabric sound, and I don't think it adds anything. Oh, and cut the volume on the tool spill on the tray at 3:18, that hurt my ears.

As there are 639 views that can't be transferred to a new version upload, there's a decision to make there, but still a worthwhile edit for all future formats/presentations.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-09-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Hellraiser

Thanks for this. Very insightful feedback. I shared your comments with the gentlemen at Wages of Cine, who will hopefully incorporate some of these recommendations when the complete film is released.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the chapters as you go through them.

Onslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Well again, you do an excellent job as Bobby in chapter 1. And I love that there's a different director/writer per chapter. You no doubt have a team that cares about each others' development.

I might suggest, in particular for chapter 1 (because it's the first impression chapter), to allow the audiotrack an edit.

There was only one line I had to re-listen to to understand, that was, "manure filled air" at the 2:11 mark. The audio can simply be re-recorded and added to the audiotrack(s).

I recommend not using three vocal track lines recorded father from the mic, as the extra natural reverb is a bit jolting from the rest of the audio. You hear those three spots at 3:14 "can make a mess", 3:42 "woman at church", and 4:02 "until he went to a better place". Can nab them from the other takes, or re-record the lines, whichever is easier.

Lastly, just remove the audio where Deb picks up the rope at 5:05, as it's just loud unpleasant fabric sound, and I don't think it adds anything. Oh, and cut the volume on the tool spill on the tray at 3:18, that hurt my ears.

As there are 639 views that can't be transferred to a new version upload, there's a decision to make there, but still a worthwhile edit for all future formats/presentations.

Tags
feature film, horror, indie film, reviewers needed, scarecrow