Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Compilations and Pastimes
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
The only thing I can think of thats better than a SQUID is perhaps a GIANT SQUID lol.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:43 AM
I Am Male.

How about "The Devils Bitches?"

Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Second Fav Band: Pink Floyd
Favorite Non Horror Movie: Papillon
5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Backyard Waterfall

Origin of the term "SQUID"

Now supposedly this term originated in the makeup effects community, and the legend goes on to say that a particular artist coined this term back in the late 80's, or thereabouts. The term has been VERY commonly used in this neck of the woods in the last fifteen years or so.

The idea behind it, supposedly, is that a "squid" was the sort of person that, if they saw a really rare magazine or photo or sculpture or some such desireable item, they would be unable to keep their hands off it, and would suddenly seem to grow tentacles that would reach out and grab for the thing. Poetically, that's what the term means.

Now at first, this was treated as an elitist term that was used to separate "fans" from "professionals." It became used as a light insult.

But this usage of the term was short-lived. Why? Because the artist types using it realized that it was essentially wrong to criticize a fan for being a fan, when in fact that very quality of fandom is what got them wherever they were professionally in the first place, in a sense. (Fandom = love for the genre(s) = what we all care about anyway, so why be condescending.)

So within a few years, the usage of the term mutated to mean "any really devoted fan." Gradually in the makeup effects community it became an emblem of pride (albeit a humorously embarassing one) to call oneself a "squid."
Old 03-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Evil Dead

You know Filmmaker this SQUID term is pretty cool I will be going to G-Fest in july and I will bring up the term Squid. Who knows maybe Squid used for Kaiju fans might be GiantSquid.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:43 AM
I Am Male.

I don't like the term, it sounds too "corny", :D

I like the term fanatic alot better.

Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Second Fav Band: Pink Floyd
Favorite Non Horror Movie: Papillon
5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Evil Dead

I like the terms Godzilla Freak KaijuFan and KaijuMaster when it comes to Japanese Monster Movies. But most online friends and also at conventions just call me Toho54 which is also cool. I cant wait til may there will be a 1950s Scifi filmfest where I live and the guy who holds the event Jay Duncan contacted Rialto Pictures and booked Gojira 1954 as one of the featured films for the fest. Gojira a.k.a. Godzilla 1954 movie the movie will be dubbed in Japanese with english subtitles. The festival cordnator asked me if I would introduce the movie and make a small speach about it telling why and how this movie was made etc. As I said I cant wait til may 27th-29th. The movie will be showing at the Chamizal Theatre in El Paso Texas.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2
(A "squid" is a rampant fan of something--someone who knows way more about a special topic than the avereage person is likely to. Quite often, squids love science fiction, horror, and fantasy entertainment.)
i think i fall just short of squid ...
i know a little about a lot - i'm not an expert on anything.

maybe i'm just a sea urchin or something - probably a hermit crab.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:42 PM
The Dork Knight

when the subject comes up my friends usually call me CEO which kinda sounds cool.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Evil Dead

Austin thats nice that your buds call you CEO but that has nothing to do with Kaiju Eiga a.k.a. Monster Movies. I am happy issue 71 of G-Fan arrived it has a great write up on Godzilla getting his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a registration form for G-Fest 2005. Godzilla Final Wars will be showing at the Pickwick Theatre during the time of G-Fest so G-Fest guests can see the movie july 9th at 10pm. G-Fan issue has alot of other good artlicles and a review of Godzilla Final Wars when it premired in Hollywood. Well G-Fest is 100 days away but at times it feels like its only 2 weeks away.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:19 PM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Gojira
Austin thats nice that your buds call you CEO but that has nothing to do with Kaiju Eiga a.k.a. Monster Movies. I am happy issue 71 of G-Fan arrived it has a great write up on Godzilla getting his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a registration form for G-Fest 2005. Godzilla Final Wars will be showing at the Pickwick Theatre during the time of G-Fest so G-Fest guests can see the movie july 9th at 10pm. G-Fan issue has alot of other good artlicles and a review of Godzilla Final Wars when it premired in Hollywood. Well G-Fest is 100 days away but at times it feels like its only 2 weeks away.

I know it has nothing to do with Monster movies I'm not much of a monster movie fan and I know very little about them, but when we talk about movies in general they call me that because I know alot more about movies than they do. The CEO thing that they call me stands for Clint Eastwood Obsession because I'm a big fan of his I've got his movie posters,books,movies ect. so that's what it came from and they just starting calling me that whenever we talked about any kind of movie whether it would've been Clint Eastwood or otherwise.