Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Misanthrope

Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Fear scented candle

FEAR: Havent played any of the other ones they listed, but given that some may be scarier, I would have to say giving it number 2 was a good call. The last 20 minutes are the most intensly frightening thing i have seen in my adult life, and the ending.... Left me speechless, scared the ever living shit out of me.

Doom3: left me paranoid and looking over my shoulder. Actually, almost ever id game outside of Quake 3 has done that to me at some point. They are the masters of dropping something in 2 feet behind you.

The possesed hallway in doom 3 was second only to the scene where the first lost soul shows up...

HL2 ravenholm was intense... Newb hit the nail on the head there. Under the city, in the mines was just as bad. barely visible headcrabs stalking the floor, occasionally launching themselves at you...

For me, quake was always one of the worst. Having an audio genius like Trent Reznor do the sounds was a great move.... the zombies were gut wrenching, and there is nothing worse than going down a dark hall and hearing a Fiend growl and start running after you.

The They Hunger episodes for Half-life tend to get looked over, but that series was probably the best indie horror game ever. If you have HL and have never played it, just download it. DO IT!
Old 01-05-2007, 05:01 AM
Misanthrope

Figured no one would take pacman seriously.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Figured no one would take pacman seriously.
Not as a scary game (although it did have ghosts...) but i can rmemeber getting that adrenalin rush like "IM GONNA DIE!!!!" when they would get riiiight on your butt...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 AM
For Vendetta

Hmm...I ve played 8 of those listed, and here's my take and some more...

10) Undying - Each one of those in the portrait are pretty badasses to take out. And of course, the manor. One of the most eerie places to keep returning after every successful victory. The Howlers dont help at all. And the boss in the end is a tough SOB to kick butt. **SPOILER** It helps if you got the SkullStorm spell, and that too with plenty of amplifiers, cuz pretty much nothing else works. Definitely a game in which you ll keep turning over your shoulder to ensure you are alone in the room.

09) Alone in the Dark - The background score itself is enough to disturb anybody's sleep. Add to it the flashes of lightning which keep showing unknown images and shadows in an otherwise dark room, and you soon feel bugs in your tummy. An intensely creepy and atmospheric game.

08) Silent Hill 4: The Room - I got this game pretty late after it was released. Let me just say this without spoiling it for anyone who hasnt played it yet...play this one, and you ll remember it throughout your life.

07) Condemned - Havent played it yet.

06) Resident Evil - Oh! How I ll remember the night I was introduced to the RE series. I had an idea what was coming, but not this! The whole game, the combining of herbs, running around searching desperately for typewriters, running out of ammo when confronting a horde...and circulating continuously while confronting the final Boss...a classic.

05) Eternal Darkness - Bizarre. Thats the only word to sum up this one. It gets intensely creepier and creepier as the game progresses, and the end will have you scared shitless. One piece of advice...dont play this game alone.

04) Resident Evil 4 - Havent played it yet.

03) F.E.A.R. - This is one FPS I will never forget. And I am equally proud of owning it. The characters, the missions, the stages, and the girl...and that too crescendoing into an explosive and perfect climax. One of THE best endings in gaming history, IMO. Def my most favorite game of all time, till now.

02) Fatal Frame 2 - The first one literally had me sweating by the time I finished it. #2 took it one step further. I requested Mom to keep looking in again and again whenever I loaded it up, just to ensure I didnt faint in between. Definitely not for those who are weak of heart.

01) Silent Hill - The god of creepy atmospheric games. The original still haunts with its background score, ghost town, total claustrophobic inhabitation effect. If you feel thankful of finding a light when darkness looms, think again. the school yard, the class rooms, the voices, and the creatures...

They forgot to add Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 & The Suffering to this list. Those 4 woulda have made it complete.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Fear scented candle

I have never played either of the system shock games, i didnt even hear fo them until it was too late to get them...

But the same guys who made them are making Bioshock, and i am DYING to get it. from what i have seen so far, it is not only goiung to be groundbreaking, but it will have you running for a change of underwear.

Back to FEAR though.... the dreamier sequences are some of the most horrific i have seen i na video game. everything is just a little blurry, and the high contrast of blood red and white-grey is very offputting. reminds me of how uncomfortable some horror movies make you by being gritty and using just the right color of blood (TCM is a great example)

And jesus christ, Alma... she is creepy enough as a girl through most of the game, but the other version (if youve played it, you know...) ESPECIALLY the part where she corners you and reaches out to touch you....

I had to reload (My gun) the first time i played that part and almost started screaming...
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
oh yeah!!! defo! when your nearley finished and you get cornered

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
FEAR: Havent played any of the other ones they listed, but given that some may be scarier, I would have to say giving it number 2 was a good call. The last 20 minutes are the most intensly frightening thing i have seen in my adult life, and the ending.... Left me speechless, scared the ever living shit out of me.
Played the demo here last night...just the very beggining of the game, and I have to say, it was pretty fucked up. Definately a game I'd grab as soon as I upgrade my pc...I just wish I could do that right now, ah well...yeah, very cool, atmospheric game. Kinda got to the point where I was thinking "for fucks sake do they EVER stop fucking with your head?!?" haha

Quote:
The They Hunger episodes for Half-life tend to get looked over, but that series was probably the best indie horror game ever. If you have HL and have never played it, just download it. DO IT!
They were cool...very 70's/80's zombie movie feel about 'em.
Still waiting on something like that for HL2...maybe YOU should do it, vod.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
They were cool...very 70's/80's zombie movie feel about 'em.
Still waiting on something like that for HL2...maybe YOU should do it, vod.
I have a nice plot lined up, but no time.. i have thought of making ti a bovella and then see i fi could get ateam to sign on to make it a mod.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Aura.N

Siren Blood Curse is really scary, maybe even the scariest game I know.
But I played it through anyway. The story is so weird that you just have to see the ending.

Silent Hill 3 have some spooky moments to. Especially the moment in the closet when the mannequins head fell off.
The scream scared the hell out of me.

Doom 3 is also scary.