Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
YES!! And you should check out the anthology "Disney's Halloween Treat!"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_Halloween_Treat

Ditto & ditto on Coraline as well... Plus you can couple it with the book!
I've read the novel 5 times, and I've seen the movie 57 times.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Still writin' that novel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Welcome to HDC, Ted! If you don't mind we asking, why did you all decide to watch horror movies together with your 5 yr old? Even if you were considering it, guess it would be difficult to exclude your 5 yr old, as they'd likely protest.

Halloween & Tremors are rated R - tremors has about 20 F-bombs, and Halloween has at least 2 nude/sexual scenes, not to mention a graphic murderer. Probably not for a 5 yr old, as you said.

The peeling of flesh off the face with fingers in Poltergeist was pretty horrifying.

If you're 5 yr old is gonna be in the audience, recommend The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949) (AKA The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad), Coraline, Monsters, Inc., Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983), The Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, The NeverEnding Story, King Kong 33, MIghty Joe Young, Godzilla Vs The Thing, Monster House, Beast from 20000 Fathoms, 5 Million Years to Earth, Godzilla Vs Monster Zero, The Dark Crystal (1982), Destroy All Monsters, The Thing 1951, The Monster Squad, Under Wraps.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions everyone! And you called it completey - my 5 year old wants to watch whatever her older brothers are watching. So the plan is start with something that's suitable for younger ages and then move on to something a tad scarier after she conks out (inevitable).

I completely forgot about Something Wicked This Way Comes - I remember getting to watch in Jr. High School and I remember really enjoying it as a kid. I think that one might be on the menu for this weekend!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Evil Sweat

I think movies with a humorous undertone and cheap special effects are good to get into horror.
The humor makes the overal experience less scary and cheap special effects make it easier to watch.
Horror comedies are one of the things that got me into horror.

-Addams Family
No explanation needed.

-Army Of Darkness
What young boy doesn't like a hero with a shotgun and a chainsaw?

-Fido
In a world where zombies are domesticated, a lonely kid befriends a zombie and treats him like a pet.

-Jack Snow: The Killer Snowman
More silly than scary. There's a bit of a rape scene but I don't think kids will even know what's going on. It's on Youtube if you want to check it out first.

If you're not too sure about a movie, you can always check out the movie's page on IMDB and read "Parents Guide: View content advisory".
There's info on each one of the different categories:
Sex and Nudity, Violence and Gore, Profanity, Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking, and Frightening/Intense Scenes.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Under the age of 10 my favorites were:

The Black & White Universal Monsters:
Frankenstein
Dracula
The Wolf Man
Creature From The Black Lagoon
The Mummy

Followed by anything with King Kong or Godzilla

Others that stand out:
The Blob (1958)
Garfield's Halloween Adventure
It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
The Monster Squad
Trick Or Treat (1986) [My brother had me hooked on Ozzy Osbourne by the age of 6]

I saw some Slashers & Stuff occasionally because my brother was 10 years older than me. I had seen the occasional Halloween, Friday The 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, etc. but my favorites at that age were really anything with "Monsters".
Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 AM
ventricle

These are really good horror & horror-esque, films not directly inappropriate for 5 yr olds, and entertaining to any age: Day of the Triffids, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mysterious Island, Incredible Shrinking Man, Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959), The Fly 58.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Evil Dead

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
These are really good horror & horror-esque, films not directly inappropriate for 5 yr olds, and entertaining to any age: Day of the Triffids, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mysterious Island, Incredible Shrinking Man, Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959), The Fly 58.
I just finished reading 20k Leagues Under the Sea. I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the movie yet.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Extreme in Everything

My parents used to do this with my sisters and I when we were kids. As such, I grew up on horror movies. Halloween was always my favorite. Its one of the first films I saw as a child.

The older black and white classics are great. Theyre not too violent and theres no sex/nudity. Frankenstein is still to this day one of my favorites, as is 13 Ghosts (that opening theme with the screaming ghouls!). Incidentally, the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz has a role in 13 Ghosts.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:30 PM
HDC Idol

Has anyone mentioned Beetlejuice yet? Because, well, Beetlejuice.

Speaking of Wizard of Oz, there is also Return to Oz which is definitely spooky.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:

Speaking of Wizard of Oz, there is also Return to Oz which is definitely spooky.
I was thinking of Return to Oz.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:09 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I just finished reading 20k Leagues Under the Sea. I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the movie yet.
Can't touch the book. But the film is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120DaysofSodom View Post
My parents used to do this with my sisters and I when we were kids. As such, I grew up on horror movies. Halloween was always my favorite. Its one of the first films I saw as a child.
Halloween is one of the first films you ever saw? (Even counting for films shown on TV/Cable?) Not Snow White, Wizard of Oz, Veggie Tales the Movie or The Muppet Movie? What do you think were the other first films?

Quote:

You're the first to mention Beetlejuice, that's a good one.