Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv View Post
Hi Merrcury - I'll update my signature with my blogs, that way you can browse my theory writings. I haven't addressed Horror explicitly just yet - but intend to do so. Hence research here. Horror is a fertile area to explore cultural manifestations concerning questions of Gender Theory. I know a lot of great theoretical writings on Horror as I've always been interested in Philosophy/Theory and Horror. I would recommend you check out an essay on Romeros Martin re vampire as PM tool of exploring gender roles - it is in incognitum hactenus vol 2 - I think...

I am interested in how presence and corporeality/physicality relate to voice in horror films.

So particular tropes such as:

1 - spectral voices, godly ubiquity (acousmatic - see Chion) e.g. Candyman, Wizard of Oz

2 - dislocated voices (possession, ventriloquism) e.g Regan in The Exorcist, Magic, Dead of Night,

3 - Instances where voice vanishes to signify a change, especially instances that amplify the guttural bodily voice - e.g the dopplegangers in HHoH ep 12 The Two Faces of Evil

My first goal is to build up examples of these, so really I'd just be happy to get a few recommendations of scary voices/ uncanny voices in film scenes.

As an aside - I recently posted this on laughter: http://vocalitiesavc.blogspot.co.uk/...-laughter.html
It's a course blog so I try to keep it light and just pop a few questions and musings up.

Sorry - don't mean to de-rail this thread. I'll post my new thread on Voice (if no one objects, I've done searches) in the new few days.
Sweet! If you could post to the Contributor's Corner section, it'd be a great start to re-integrate it into a horror theory section.

I'm still in the thick of things, but I do have one recommendation that I use often: The Descent.

Sarah's family dies off early and her re-occurring nightmares present her with the memory of her daughter sitting across from her birthday cake. The aspect of voice could surely apply to your spectral voices category, but I use it as a reincarnation of maternal bonds within the phantasmal visions. Motherhood is destroyed by the wilderness of betrayal, transforming the woman into a vanquisher, but the Other holds no faith in the maternal bonds that still exist within Sarah. Sarah vanquishes Juno, the betrayer, and returns to her motherly role through accepting her daughter's illusion as a representational continuance of her motherhood.

Oof. Wrote too much. Anyway, a taste. I'd be happy to give more once I'm finished writing this piece.

Oh, and I'm currently reading the Incognitum Hactenus homepage. Thanks for the procrastination food =P