Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
i can dig it

HWA has some nonfiction/theory stuff but is mainly fiction writers
Ya... That's my main concern with it. I'm not a horror writer, unfortunately =/. I bought their book, liked it, but dammit I'd rather me some Clover. I'll talk with them some about their theoretical prospects, but I don't know if my kind are particularly welcome there.

I have to finish some Spanish work, but I'd love some suggestions on how to get this ball to the top of the hill.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM
No, fuck YOU

I don't aprove. Too much text.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
I don't aprove. Too much text.
K. What about specific quotes that summarize the works? TL:DRs?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Hellraiser

Tragic. Haha, well, I've got a bit of pirate in me, so if the contributor's corner really is dead... possibly. It'd be a bit of an overhaul, but I bet we can redefine the term 'contributor' >=) Buhaha
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Hellraiser

Alright, I'm getting some suggestions to post in the Contributor's Corner. The topic of the section doesn't really hit it off with me, but what's the reception on the other side of the screen for this idea?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:36 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrcury View Post
Alright, I'm getting some suggestions to post in the Contributor's Corner. The topic of the section doesn't really hit it off with me, but what's the reception on the other side of the screen for this idea?
Go for it as I suggested :)
Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Hellraiser

I'm going to have to take a rain check on the idea. School's a rough mother.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Hellraiser

I am new here, I joined for a bit of research and possibly posting a thread relating to my research (The Voice in Horror films) - but my background is theory/philosophy. I'd just like to say that a would be very excited to have a thread devoted to the more theoretical side of horror.

With regards to journals - I think journals always need someone with good expertise, be it literary theory, film theory, philosophy, cultural studies, psychology, psychoanalysis etc - all of these can be applied to horror but I think you will have more luck getting published if you start by analysing horror from one of the above subjects positions. And then find a journal of that topic that has an issue devoted to aligning themes.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Hellraiser

Welcome to the board =). I'll be posting stuff in a few days on the Contributor's Corner section, since I'm writing a thesis paper on horror myself.

I take gender theory and archetypes into consideration most often when I'm writing, but I supplement my views with many of those ideologies. On the worth of a journal, I remember my secondary ed professor saying that the study of education is the bridging of ideas, uncovering the mysteries that lie between. So, I'm kinda scatter-brained and don't stick to single ideologies, sometimes confusing my readers =/. Doesn't mean I don't love deciphering the delicious mysteries between the lines ^^

I'd love to read your works once we have everything set up =) Do you mean the voice of the victims, victimizers, diegetic voices, audience, or something different?

Last edited by Merrcury; 12-03-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Hellraiser

Hi Merrcury - I'll update my signature with my blogs, that way you can browse my theory writings. I haven't addressed Horror explicitly just yet - but intend to do so. Hence research here. Horror is a fertile area to explore cultural manifestations concerning questions of Gender Theory. I know a lot of great theoretical writings on Horror as I've always been interested in Philosophy/Theory and Horror. I would recommend you check out an essay on Romeros Martin re vampire as PM tool of exploring gender roles - it is in incognitum hactenus vol 2 - I think...

I am interested in how presence and corporeality/physicality relate to voice in horror films.

So particular tropes such as:

1 - spectral voices, godly ubiquity (acousmatic - see Chion) e.g. Candyman, Wizard of Oz

2 - dislocated voices (possession, ventriloquism) e.g Regan in The Exorcist, Magic, Dead of Night,

3 - Instances where voice vanishes to signify a change, especially instances that amplify the guttural bodily voice - e.g the dopplegangers in HHoH ep 12 The Two Faces of Evil

My first goal is to build up examples of these, so really I'd just be happy to get a few recommendations of scary voices/ uncanny voices in film scenes.

As an aside - I recently posted this on laughter: http://vocalitiesavc.blogspot.co.uk/...-laughter.html
It's a course blog so I try to keep it light and just pop a few questions and musings up.

Sorry - don't mean to de-rail this thread. I'll post my new thread on Voice (if no one objects, I've done searches) in the new few days.