Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Evil Dead

Butternut squash and pepper.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Bumping this as I've just found my new favorite soup recipe!!

It's both Vegetarian and Vegan friendly and perfect for a cold winder evening. I was happy with the spice-level my my friends found it "too spicy," so if you don't like spicy food you may want to cut down on the chili paste or cayenne.

http://cookieandkate.com/2012/sweet-...chickpea-soup/

Vegan Sweet Potato, Kale and Chickpea Soup

Serves: 6
Cook time (minus prep time): 1 hour

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (or butternut squash)
  • Salt, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste (available in the Asian section at most grocery stores)
  • 1 cup uncooked farro, rinsed (or 2 cups cooked whole grains, like wheat berries, spelt berries or kamut)
  • 6 to 7 cups vegetable broth (or water flavored with vegetarian bouillon cubes)
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one can of cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
  • 1/2 roasted red pepper, finely chopped (I used jarred)
  • 1/2 small bunch of crinkly purple kale or green kale, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, if you like it extra spicy like me)

Instructions
  1. In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
  2. Stir in the onions and sweet potato and a big pinch of salt. Sauté for five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to soften.
  3. Add the curry paste and stir until the onions and sweet potatoes are coated and the curry is fragrant (about a minute).
  4. Add the farro, if that’s your grain of choice, and six cups of veggie broth or water and bouillon cubes.
  5. Bring to a boil, then set the timer for thirty minutes, cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer.
  6. After thirty minutes, uncover the pot and add the chickpeas and red pepper. Taste and season with more salt as needed (if it tastes flat, add more). If you chose to use cooked whole grains, add them now. Cover and simmer for another twenty minutes. [note from Chrono: I am not a huge fan of raw kale, so I added it at this point and was really happy that I did]
  7. Uncover, stir in the kale, add cayenne pepper if desired, and serve.
I will be trying this! Cheers for the recipe.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I will be trying this! Cheers for the recipe.
Let me know what you think! I liked it with the cayenne, but my friends found it too spicy (wusses).

Also, it's one of those yummy and hardy soups that taste even better the next day after the ingredients have had a chance to sit and soak up.

Also unless you've cooked with chickpeas before (heh - this was my first time), I recommend buying the canned pre-cooked chickpeas for convenience sake. I shopped the day of and didn't realize how long it takes to cook/soften chickpeas. :o The fiance was nice enough to run out and buy me canned chickpeas as I did the prep work. heh.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Also, it's one of those yummy and hardy soups that taste even better the next day after the ingredients have had a chance to sit and soak up.
Those are the best!

I use the canned chickpeas don't have the time or patience to cook them from scratch.

Just need some free time now to cook :D