Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies

Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 AM
HDC Idol

Saibogujiman kwenchana (I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK)

Chan Wook-Park's "new" (2006) film is about Young-goon, a young woman who believes herself to be a cyborg and who is kept in a mental institution where, of course, she finds love.

Trailer found here.

Longer trailer that practically shows you the whole movie here.

IMDB entry here.

Wikipedia entry.

Park is my favorite director of all time, directing Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance, as well as something more historically relevant to Korean culture, Joint Security Area.

I'm pretty damn psyched bout I'm a Cyborg, but I'm having a tough time getting my hands on it and I'm not sure if I want to pay premium to buy a DVD that I haven't watched yet.

Has anyone seen this movie yet? Is it as good as it looks? (I believe it looks AMAZING!!)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Chan Wook-Park's "new" (2006) film is about Young-goon, a young woman who believes herself to be a cyborg and who is kept in a mental institution where, of course, she finds love.

Trailer found here.

Longer trailer that practically shows you the whole movie here.

IMDB entry here.

Wikipedia entry.

Park is my favorite director of all time, directing Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance, as well as something more historically relevant to Korean culture, Joint Security Area.

I'm pretty damn psyched bout I'm a Cyborg, but I'm having a tough time getting my hands on it and I'm not sure if I want to pay premium to buy a DVD that I haven't watched yet.

Has anyone seen this movie yet? Is it as good as it looks? (I believe it looks AMAZING!!)
Been trying to acquire it legally for quite some time, needless to say I'm stoked and cannot WAIT to see it.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

picked it up in the sales ages ago, i should really watch it at some point.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I just want to chime in that the Korean word for cyborg is awesome and hillarious.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Wow! that looks pretty sweet! Thanks Chrono, for the recommendation. Already added to my wish list.:)

As a good fan of Chan Wook-Park, I'm eagerly waiting for his Thirst..I hope it'll be another masterpiece from him.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 AM
HDC Idol

OOO! OOO! OOO!

For those of you who have The Sundance Channel, it's playing:
  • Tuesday, 2/24 at 4:00PM EST
  • Sunday, 3/1 at 4:45AM EST

I've already set my DVR. :D :D :D

Old 03-14-2009, 08:23 AM
HDC Idol

SO

This movie is actually currently on Comcast On Demand.

For those of you who have it, I suggest you see it. I just checked it out last night.

As expected, the direction was clean, beautiful, whimsical... Park is definitely an experimental and playful director and a visionary.

However, it was definitely slow at times and the ending was a bit drawn out (an issue that I find with a lot of Asian cinema, Oldboy and The Red Shoes included).

The high points: Very much like Lady Vengeance, Park creates vivid characters who make this movie colorful. It's playful and charming, though purposefully muted which took away from its absurdity at times. What it boils down to is a quixotic love story that is absolutely adorable and awww worthy.

In a way, it's almost like Happiness of the Katakuris meets Amalie.

That being said, I'm happy that directors like Park are out there, always experimenting and giving the audience something different. Definitely check this movie out, though I thought it was a bit more flat than I expected it to be (giving the plot, story, and characters).

Old 03-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Foxhole Atheist

This was TV a couple of weeks ago and didnt fancy it much. Thought it looked like it would drag like a sonofabitch.

Now it seems you're saying Ive missed out :mad:

Will have to try a catch it sometime then.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 AM
HDC Idol

To tell you the truth, it DID drag. Park definitely set a purposeful muted tone that I thought overshadowed the absurdity of the colorful characters he created. It's a bit hard to explain; the movie is set in a mental institution with a ridiculous set of characters who are extreme, bizarre, funny, and droll. However, the tone of the film is purposefully muted, so their extremities don't stick out and affect the viewer as much as one would think.

I was slightly disappointed because I had high hopes for it, but overall, it was really charming and cute.

Not a perfect film (who knows - you might find it incredibly dull; it WAS at times), but definitely worth a look. You can see Park's vision, and it's definitely unique and refreshing, though, again, the movie does drag.

And if THAT'S not a mixed review, I don't know what is. ;)

If you have Sundance On Demand, it's worth a looksee.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Cranky

I only felt it dragged ONCE. Really enjoyed it. I found it very theatrical, in a way.

I wasn't raised in the ADD generation though, so I'm less prone to finding things slow.

I enjoyed the journey quite well.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff