Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies

Old 09-27-2020, 10:51 PM
Little Boo

I don't quite understand the hype about It

Contains some spoilers

So I finally got to watch It and I must admit I was surprised because I did not really like the film and I feel like the only person feeling this way because usually the reviews on this movie are quite positive.
Maybe it's because Pennywise has been everywhere, I just could not consider the clown that creepy and the overall film was not THAT unsettling to watch? I mean the only part I truly felt uneasy watching was to do with Bowers guy, especially when Henry killed his father. And basically I felt like watching Stranger Things again...

What is your opinion guys? Did you like it and why yes/no?
Old 09-28-2020, 12:55 AM
No, fuck YOU

I thought both movies were alright. Not fantastic, but alright.

Like the first attempt in 1990 it totally lacked the main theme of the books, which is evilness in all forms. Instead we just get a monster movie. Which is entertaining enough, but I was hoping the new version would go a little bit deeper and try something new. Sadly it didn't.
A movie that actually comes closer to that main theme of the books is The Devil All the Time.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:03 AM
No, fuck YOU

Right post in the wrong thread

Last edited by Angra; 09-29-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:02 AM
Scares Little Kids

Everything about the character of Pennywise, from Bill Skarsgård's performance to the makeup to the jump scares, seems to try way too hard. Everything to do with the chemistry between the Losers Club in the first one works, but I wouldn't say it does in the second. But the second one is so overly stuffed with crap that I would say that's not the biggest problem.

Overall, 5/10 for the pair.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:38 PM
Immortal horror fan

I'm going to watch the sequel this October. I thought the first one was darker than I was expecting. I think I reviewed IT around here or on the HorrorDVDs forum.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:13 AM
Scares Little Kids

It seems like the general consensus from horror fans was "meh/this is shit", but general audiences loved it.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:12 PM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

I honestly enjoyed most of Part 1, but it was more in a Goonies/Stranger Things type of atmosphere. I thought the kids all did well and while a few aspects could have been improved, the overall experience was enjoyable and I could see myself watching it again in a couple of years.

I thought Part 2 was absolutely abysmal and I would never waste my time re-watching that one again.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:42 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
I honestly enjoyed most of Part 1, but it was more in a Goonies/Stranger Things type of atmosphere. I thought the kids all did well and while a few aspects could have been improved, the overall experience was enjoyable and I could see myself watching it again in a couple of years.

I thought Part 2 was absolutely abysmal and I would never waste my time re-watching that one again.
Yeah IT did remind me of Goonies. But darker. I remember being surprised by the stuff going on with the girl character. I believe I remarked in my review that I would have enjoyed the movie more without that stuff.

I did watch the first 20 minutes or so of IT 2. I stopped after the dinner scene when the characters meet up. I didn't realize how long the movie was and stopped there to watch it again later. Those first 20 minutes were fine though. Cast seemed to be really good.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:29 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post

I quite enjoyed the first one on second watching. Think the hype may have skewed how I felt about watching it the first time. The way people were talking about it made me think it was shit your pants scary.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:53 AM
Little Boo

I really enjoyed the first one but more as a movie in general rather than as a horror movie. I agree with everyone saying that it had a Stranger Things vibe, really playing on the nostalgia feeling.

Apart from jump scares, what I found scary was the look that Pennywise has in the first scene with Georgie in the drain. He was talking about popcorn and the circus and then his face changes suddenly to something really predatory and hungry.

In IT 2, the whole section where the Losers each had to find an artifact for the ritual meant that we always knew that Pennywise was going to turn up and do a scare and then go away again. Still fun to watch, I thought, but a bit predictable.