Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Artist, Cartoonist & Dude

Most certainly not. It's a kid's movie, or in a broader sense, a fantasy. Just as the Lord of the Rings films contain some "scary" looking creatures within the plot lines, but I wouldn't regard these as part of the horror genre either, just fantasy/adventure. Horror movies, to me, have to give off a certain vibe throughout the entire context of the plot.

Last edited by Action Avenue; 08-11-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
That synopsis drips with awesome.

I never thought of it as horror. My fiancee has nightmares about the monkeys but I think they're the bomb.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Scares Little Kids

That's an interesting question. For a kid under the age of six, I think it is. As a fan of the books, I think there are certain volumes that veer closer to Dark Fantasy. The Oz books influenced Clive Barker and the 1939 MGM film influenced many horror directors, check "Pan's Labyrinth" for instance.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Hellraiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Bastion1023
Wizard of Oz was not a horror film. The main characters are not confronted with real tragedy or horrific decisions. There are fanciful characters but none of them really is what specifically constitutes a monster. I would also say that the very nature of the film being a musical works very much against it ever being considered horror.

Are the ideas within the story the sort of thing that could be perceived as scary? Certainly. A man in search of a heart. Another in search of a brain. Witches and witchcraft. Flying monkeys. All have potential to be something scary or twisted but in the 1939 classic, they are not.

"A wonderfully twisted spin on a beloved tale. It was sick and gruesome and I absolutely loved it. A breath of fresh air for the horror genre."
- Jesse Miller, MORE HORROR

"One of the most terrifying novels you will ever read"
-Martyn Wakefield, BLOOD GUTS
Old 09-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion1023 View Post
Wizard of Oz was not a horror film. The main characters are not confronted with real tragedy or horrific decisions. There are fanciful characters but none of them really is what specifically constitutes a monster. I would also say that the very nature of the film being a musical works very much against it ever being considered horror.

Are the ideas within the story the sort of thing that could be perceived as scary? Certainly. A man in search of a heart. Another in search of a brain. Witches and witchcraft. Flying monkeys. All have potential to be something scary or twisted but in the 1939 classic, they are not.
At the right age all of that is terrifying.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Hellraiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Bastion1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapexamendios View Post
At the right age all of that is terrifying.
Not sure what age that would be. I was never once scared of Wizard of Oz and I have seen it a number of times starting from quite a young age (around 4 or so). Different for everyone I suppose.

"A wonderfully twisted spin on a beloved tale. It was sick and gruesome and I absolutely loved it. A breath of fresh air for the horror genre."
- Jesse Miller, MORE HORROR

"One of the most terrifying novels you will ever read"
-Martyn Wakefield, BLOOD GUTS
Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Scares Little Kids

It could certainly be seen as scary for some. Horror movie? I think not.

If I showed my daughter the movie, now, she probably would not be scared. She's 2 and her favorite doll is Jigsaw so I'm not sure she has reference for what can be scary.

I was scared of The Secret of Nimph when I was little but again never looked at it as a horror. I'm also terrified of St. Bernards because of Cujo.

There were scary elements to The Wizard of Oz but I wouldn't see it as a horror movie.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:50 PM
The Boogeyman

I could actually see this being classified in some rights as a horror. Creature of the black lagoon, invisible man, etc are classified as "horror" but not scary at all. while the witch and flying monkeys are creepy.

My mom said the only thing that gave her nightmares was the flying monkeys.

My kids get freaked out by the movie.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Little Boo

It's not horror, but I guess kids have been so scared by it that one of its scenes was included in Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

In addition, it was a nightmare to make as there were a lot of issues. Margaret Hamilton (the wicked witch) got burned when she vanishes after first meeting Dorothy. Her standin also got burned during another scene. Also, the person who was originally cast as the Tin Man developed a severe allergy to his makeup. Finally, there's the rumor that you can see someone hanging from a tree in the background.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:22 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarie View Post
It's not horror, but I guess kids have been so scared by it that one of its scenes was included in Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

In addition, it was a nightmare to make as there were a lot of issues. Margaret Hamilton (the wicked witch) got burned when she vanishes after first meeting Dorothy. Her standin also got burned during another scene. Also, the person who was originally cast as the Tin Man developed a severe allergy to his makeup. Finally, there's the rumor that you can see someone hanging from a tree in the background.
Ya, I wouldn't classify Wizard of Oz as a Horror film, but heck ya, it has scary scenes, especially to children... I'm thinking of when the tree first moves against Dorothy, and when the North Witch starts throwing frickin fire balls at them, and then the whole Flying Monkey scene, and then the whole scene where the North Witch sets up the death hourglass... really everything from the tree till the witch dies.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-22-2017 at 09:24 PM.