Old 03-25-2018, 10:33 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Will have to see if my copy has the 1945 version. Have always enjoyed this very much...the sharp dialog, the seedy aspects covered up by the Code and one of Bogie's best turns, almost as good as 1941's THE MALTESE FALCON.
The main reason for the retakes was to improve Bacall's performances, adding more back-and-forth with Bogart, bumping off the success of Bogy/Bacall's "To Have and Have Not" (1944). The studio wanted her to get a good review, as prior reviews said her acting was wooden.

They also dubbed Bacall saying her sister was home, where she would otherwise be incorrect.

Some say the '45 version's plot, of which 18 mins were cut, was more coherent, but it's not likely to matter because motives and character backgrounds are so thin.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-25-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:42 AM
Evil Dead

SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946). Not a Horror film, but it's truly a Horror that Disney is too scared to give this a proper release because of expected screams of "That's Racist!!!"

Had the record of this when little, then saw the movie on a 1972 re-issue and after watching it on DVD the other day, the ONLY thing I can find that MIGHT be offensive is the dialect the Black characters use when speaking, but considering it's a Southern plantation after the Civil War, how would they expected to speak? Never mind that Uncle Remus is the Kindest, Wisest person in the whole film and who wouldn't want to have him in their lives? I certainly would. Am so SICK of how so many people look for hidden meanings and potentially taboo subjects instead of just watching the damn movie.
Exceptional animation by the Disney studios, catchy songs and James Baskett is superb in here as UR, more than deserving the Special Oscar he won for his performance. Sadly He passed on just a few months afterwards. If You get a chance to see this, jump on it. ****1/2
Old 04-01-2018, 01:17 PM
ventricle

The Old Dark House (1932)
7/10

Due to a horrible storm some folk must request to stay the night at an old dark house. The residences are odd, but is there also danger afoot?

Some of the darkest film exposures I've ever seen on film. Directed by James Whale (Frankenstein & Freaks). It's certainly an odd film, mixing some 1930's social conventions with what I might call traditional 1970's horror scenes and content, with a very simple plot, mostly a dark comic parody of the setting.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-01-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:14 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The Old Dark House (1932)
7/10

Due to a horrible storm some folk must request to stay the night at an old dark house. The residences are odd, but is there also danger afoot?

Some of the darkest film exposures I've ever seen on film. Directed by James Whale (Frankenstein & Freaks). It's certainly an odd film, mixing some 1930's social conventions with what I might call traditional 1970's horror scenes and content, with a very simple plot, mostly a dark comic parody of the setting.
I must agree with You...it is VERY dark. After reading about this in FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND #66 in 1970, really wanted to check this out. Like it, but find it uneven and just sort of there, even with the exceptional cast.
My Wife, however, LOVES it and has it on frequently.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:53 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
I must agree with You...it is VERY dark. After reading about this in FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND #66 in 1970, really wanted to check this out. Like it, but find it uneven and just sort of there, even with the exceptional cast.
My Wife, however, LOVES it and has it on frequently.
I agree with you. I think the film really falls over for a nap when they sit down for dinner. It might have really picked up speed there and come together with some clever plot devices and dialogue, but was not to be. There's some interesting interactions when they have a drink together, hearing about the British fellow's life, but in general there's no notable group dynamic, nor individual characters that excite. It's like you said, uneven, and that certainly goes for the pace and sequence of events.

I think the film has a lot of undeserved retrograde praise, specifically regarding the film as a whole, not it's nifty components, due to it being James Whale and one of the first talkies in a scary old house.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-06-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:07 PM
ventricle

The Mummy (1932 film)
6/10

A newly discovered mummy comes back to life and tries to reunite with his reincarnated lover.

For the most part this film is a snoozer. It has a fairly fascinating plot, but every aspect of the film is set to a slow, plodding, grey, low frequency whispery pace and tone. Boris Karloff, as Imhotep, is on quaalludes, and nothing else in the film contrasts that.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:04 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The Mummy (1932 film)
6/10

A newly discovered mummy comes back to life and tries to reunite with his reincarnated lover.

For the most part this film is a snoozer. It has a fairly fascinating plot, but every aspect of the film is set to a slow, plodding, grey, low frequency whispery pace and tone. Boris Karloff, as Imhotep, is on quaalludes, and nothing else in the film contrasts that.
Once again, Wise Sculpt, You have nailed it! I like this, but it is VERY slow and lethargic and pretty much another version of DRACULA. Still love the scene where Im-Ho-Tep comes to life, the flashback and that wonderful full close up of Boris. Almost heresy to say so, but even the Kharis films are more lively than this one, especially THE MUMMY'S HAND (1940).
Old 04-22-2018, 04:39 AM
Evil Dead

THE VAMPIRE (1957). Also known as EL VAMPIRO, this Mexican flick has really great sets and atmosphere to burn. The performances aren't so hot, but will do, even the leading lady who looks a lot like Jaqueline Kennedy! German Robles is a decent vampire with way long fangs. Enjoyed it more while listening to the good commentary. ***
Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Dementia 13 (1963). It was pretty decent but it felt kind of like a rip-off of Psycho. Also I get the feeling that there were huge chunks missing out of the plot but I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't watched it.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:11 AM
Evil Dead

THE VAMPIRE'S COFFIN (1958). Sequel to THE VAMPIRE has some returning cast members and some fantastic camera work (particularly the shadows where German Robles is pursuing a victim through the streets), but undone by an incredibly lethargic script and some unintentional funny scenes: the leading lady pushing the vampire away several times and a silly ending. **