Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

predators
the loved ones
horseman of the apocalypse
the tournament
cold & dark
the undertaker
humanoids from the deep
violent shit 1-3
Old 11-24-2010, 02:02 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Catfish (2010)

Another great movie made disappointing by a misleading ad campaign. To go into detail about just what is misleading about it would be to spoil the few surprises that it does have up its sleeve - suffice to say you'll be much better off if you entirely disregard the trailers.

Its still a fascinating movie...anyone interested in internet culture should totally give it a look...just don't go in with big expectations. You'll be let down.

Throne of Blood (1957)

To start - yes, this was my first exposure to the masterful filmmaking of Akira Kurosawa. Shameful, I know...but what a place to start.

I haven't really posted about many (any?) of them, but I've been watching a ton of films adapted from Shakespeare lately for one of my classes - this is easily among the best I've seen (its based on Macbeth, if anyone didn't know). Takes its liberties with the play to be sure, but transposing it to medieval Japan is nothing short of brilliant. The cinematography is utterly breathtaking - so many moments are just simply stunning.

Loved every second of this...I'll be watching more Kurosawa as soon as possible.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet's Muse View Post
Unrated: The Movie
A Timo Rose and Andreas Schnaas creation.
haven't heard of this yet, big Schnaas fan though. good?

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Yeh bit of a shame really. Have you seen Not Quite Hollywood? It was a great watch on Aussie exploitation flicks. I reviewed it awhile back and definitely recommend it.
thans for the rec....just put in in my instant queue
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Misanthrope

Nice. Hope you dig it man!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Bad Natured

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2003). This slow burner portends to be a revenge flick proper but instead is more a study of the social trappings of one's criminal background. For those looking for extending scenes of violence and action, disappointment is sure to find its way to your doorstep. Instead this was a dark, moody, and subtle flick whose paucity of explication leaves the viewer distant but thoughtful. Clive Owen was perfect as the recluse returned, a monster in waiting whose time away may have left an indelible scar in his social capacities. His character's capacity for extended, contemplative silences gave an air of chilling awkwardness. The direction accomplished its feat, eschewing the Hollywood mold by telling a tale in according to his own unorthodoxy. The score was smart and jazzy, setting the scenes with the appropriate heights of disturbed psychologies. The end was a coup de resistance, smartly aloof, thereby allowing the imagination to fill in the gaps. Not a movie for everyone, but for those not detracted by expectations left unfulfilled then this might make for time well spent. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:45 AM
GORE~geous

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman View Post
haven't heard of this yet, big Schnaas fan though. good?
I didn't care for it. Very slapstick, stupid comedy.The gore was great but too little of it. Thats what I wanted to see when I heard these two splatter directors collaborating. You may enjoy it. I dunno.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Misanthrope

Old 11-25-2010, 03:28 PM
That fucking Guy...

Resident Evil - Afterlife
While I didn't pay to go and see it, I still don't really know why I bothered.
I *did* think it was better than the last one, if only slightly.
But yeah...no atmosphere whatsoever, no real scares at all. The "new" zombies jut looked fucking stupid, and I don't think the guy who played "Wesker" should just never act again, I mean I'm not sure if it was an intentional joke, but most of his dialogue/delivery sounded like something out of the first couple of RE games.
This WS Anderson guy just keeps pumping out these films though...I suppose I watch in the hope he MAY make a half decent one.
I didn't mind the first, didn't even dislike the second though I didn't think it was as good...the third was utter crap, this one right next to.
The series has pretty much been a downhill run...
They should continue with the animated ones, the one I saw was better than IMO any of the movies.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:06 PM
For Vendetta

Admit it Cheebs, the girl in the opening credits was smokin'. :D Absolutely loved the soundtrack there, too.

Finding long-forgotten stuff in my VHS collection has never been more fun...

Sci-fi horror, Italian style. Director Luigi Cozzi takes everything which made films like Alien and Body Snatchers great, and cooks up a concoction which is packed with gorific sequences and bizarre plot twists. A more than decent, low-budget, low-brow film which is an absolute hoot to watch.

Recommended to Elvis, Ferox, Newb and anyone else who likes these.