Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Night of the Living Dead

Still a favorite that I watch every year at least once, this movie continues to scare me and I have seen it many times. I even like the colorized versions, and the recent DVDs containing the neat special features...this movie is one of the perfect Halloween viewing experiences, and should be given extra praise because it has held up so well over the years.

You folks have any memories from the first time you saw this? I remember I closed my eyes when the ghoul was chasing Barbra in the beginning...it was the first time I noticed I was closing my eyes during a film, and I respected the film from that moment, it was so energetic and so effective as a dramatic narrative.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
mostly ghostly?

Oh, yes. As with most horror fans, this is one of the first horror films I remember loving.

I saw NOTLD for the first time when I was probably about 6; a poor-quality, scratchy VHS copy on a tiny television. I'll never forget being completely wide-eyed and totally engaged for the whole thing.

I recently got to see this on the big screen at another film festival close to me. It was in a super-old theatre, and there were only like 30 or 40 people there. It was amazing, obviously.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Evil Dead

I remember seeing this film on late night TV back in the '70's and it scared the crap out of me, It's still one of the greats
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Cranky

First time I saw it was at a midnight showing in the 70s, and it was just mind-blowing. The whole cheapness of it makes it seem so real and Barbara and her brother are just so off the wall creepy...

They're coming to get you, Barbara.....
Johnny!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Actually the first time I saw this film, I wasn't overly impressed.:eek:

Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, but I was quite young and I think it was quite different to the horror films I was used to seeing.

However, I revisited it some years later and got an awful lot more out of it. These days, it's one of my favourite zombie films.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I credit this - along with the original House on Haunted Hill - with being a major part of my early obsession with horror.

After one of my first major plays, my parents - instead of getting me flowers - got me a cheap DVD triple-feature of public domain movies: this one, along with Nosferatu and HoHH. It took me quite awhile to appreciate Nosferatu (I was probably 11 at the time), but the other two quickly became favourites.

I remember watching it for the first time at my grandmother's house (which, by the way, is haunted) on a tiny little portable DVD player. I was utterly spellbound...one of my favourites to this day, and I think it always will be.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Scares Little Kids

Send a message via ICQ to Wuqaz Send a message via AIM to Wuqaz Send a message via MSN to Wuqaz Send a message via Yahoo to Wuqaz
The first time I saw NOTLD I was maybe seven, and I watched it on a rainy Halloween with my sister. Instead of getting candy we stayed in and watched that movie. I remember being terrified of looking outside for fear of seeing Zombies outside.

Watching that one, and getting so scared by it, is what made me so in love with the Zombie genre.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
First time I saw it was at a midnight showing in the 70s, and it was just mind-blowing. The whole cheapness of it makes it seem so real and Barbara and her brother are just so off the wall creepy...

They're coming to get you, Barbara.....
Johnny!
pretty sure my first viewing was about the same.

lots of beer was involved though....so its a bit foggy.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
It took me a couple viewings to really get into this, but that's because the first time I saw it I was twelve and the second time I saw it I was pretty tired. But the third time, I saw how stark and terrifying it really was and how innovative.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
I must've watched this movie 25 times, I lived in an apartment with no cable and was too lazy to unpack my movies. The more I watched the more I got out of it, my emotional responces to the characters changed. In my personal opinion NOTLD will always be a timeless classic, I could watch it again today and love it just as much.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell