Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Axx

I can appreciate both modern and classic, though generally I prefer classic zombie flicks, as I do with most horrors.

Noticed how the "Making of..." documentaries for modern horrors seem to focus on how great the make up and CGI is in the film?
Classic Horrors didn't have an massively inflated budget to fall back on, and thus, seem to be more character driven in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Evil Dead

Classic as in slow flesh eating, not vodoo. Although I did see White Zombie and it really was cool and atmospheric. My friend and I were walking in a nature park and talking about zombies coming from both sides of the trail(we'd have to run through all the brush and prickers LOL as fast as hell....and STONED) and if they were fast that would really suck and that's pretty damn scary.

I've always loved the classic stuff 80's and before(to me classics are the 70's and before but for zombies case i'm using 80's). Although some new stuff is pretty good. I liked Land of the dead....well some aspects.....and the talking zombies sucked. Except vox in, was it The dead next door?

Last edited by CrimsonFiend138; 09-10-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Can you dig it ?

Personally, I think the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake was the best of the modern zombie films (yes, a remake :D ). I think the original had it's strong points, but dragged on way too much in trying to over emphasize it's point and that took away from it (besides, I've always hated the Goblin score as well except for the opening tune since it feels out of place to me). Zack Snyder did a wonderful job of keeping the tension and scares. True, the buses were very over the top and made the ending feel like a 'Road Warrior' movie, but I feel like the overall effort was terrific and paced extremely well.
Other than that, there is no comparison. IMO, 'NOTLD' is THE quintessential zombie movie, bar none. It was more about scares and ghouls than blaring heavy metal tunes over a barrage of gore shots that seems like every indie zombie movie has done since. It drives me nuts that so many of those filmmakers say that 'NOTLD' and Romero are such an influence on their work when they don't seem to have a clue as to why the film was so effective to begin with as if the lowest common denominator is enough. Seeing someone getting bit by something doesn't compare to the fear of getting bit.
CK
Old 09-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSadistro View Post
Personally, I think the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake was the best of the modern zombie films (yes, a remake :D ). I think the original had it's strong points, but dragged on way too much in trying to over emphasize it's point and that took away from it (besides, I've always hated the Goblin score as well except for the opening tune since it feels out of place to me). Zack Snyder did a wonderful job of keeping the tension and scares. True, the buses were very over the top and made the ending feel like a 'Road Warrior' movie, but I feel like the overall effort was terrific and paced extremely well.
Other than that, there is no comparison. IMO, 'NOTLD' is THE quintessential zombie movie, bar none. It was more about scares and ghouls than blaring heavy metal tunes over a barrage of gore shots that seems like every indie zombie movie has done since. It drives me nuts that so many of those filmmakers say that 'NOTLD' and Romero are such an influence on their work when they don't seem to have a clue as to why the film was so effective to begin with as if the lowest common denominator is enough. Seeing someone getting bit by something doesn't compare to the fear of getting bit.
CK
I agree on DOD, it's one of the rare instances where the remake may have surpassed the original. I had one logic problem with it, tho. If they had those gas containers already, why didn't they just catapult them off the roof, blow up as many zombies as possible, and then just casually drive away. Instead of fighting their way thru the herd.

By the way, wouldn't films about vampires(they are undead), Frankenstein's monster, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and mummies qualify as zombie movies? The only 2 monsters I can think of, that aren't dead already, are werewolves and the Phantom of the Opera.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 PM
HDC Resident Cynic

I dig anything and everything Zombie...but I choose old school over new.
Like Crabby said...they're just more fun.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Drive-In Mutant

Old School 80's zombie movies for me, no cgi gore or blood please.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM
ZombieCombatClub

If "classic" is voodoo, then I would imagine the 70s-80s is "Mid-Century Modern" era, and Romero the Eames and Jacobsen of the MCM zombie.

And its never about the zombies.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Undead

In all honesty for the most part zombie films of today are in no means like the zombie films that predate hammers Plague of the Zombies and Night of the Living Dead. I prefer the classics for there storytelling and the more modern Zombie films for there underlying social themes and fx.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Scares Little Kids

I'd have to say modern. Modern being, post-Night Of The Living Dead. I haven't seen enough Classic Zombies Films to even begin to love the genre.