Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Evil Dead

Evil trees/plants! Recommendations wanted.

First of all I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so I thought the general forum was the safest choice.

I am looking for recommendations of movies - old or modern, where evil/demonic trees or plants is a part of the story. Trees creep me out (I know... I'm a weirdo), so I would love to see more horror movies with that element in them.

Obviously I know about "Evil Dead" :D I also already know "Acacia", "Poltergeist", "The Happening" (I seem to be the only person on the planet who likes that one), "Day of the Triffids", "The Guardian", "The Ruins", "Cubbyhouse/The Devils Playground", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", "Creepshow"... maybe a few more I can't remember right now ;)

And yes, I also know about those silly comedies where people are chased around by a pine tree :p

Any other suggestions?

What I would really love to see one day would be a GOOD adaption of "The Colour Out of Space"! :cool:
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Midnight toker

Dr Terror's House Of Horrors has a story about a killer vine and of course there is the classic killer plant movie, Little Shop of Horrors. :cool:
Old 06-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Horror Fan

"Haunted Forest" (2007) sounds up your alley. Alternatively, you might go check out some real haunted woods: http://theparanormal.ca/haunted_forests_woods.html

Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Evil Dead

That's right, I forgot "Little Shop of Horrors" :D The other ones I'll have to check out. And thanks for the link too, that was an interesting read :)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
ventricle

Of course Day of the Triffids is the grand-daddy. But I see you have that one. Godzilla vs. Biollante is a good one. You looking for whole films, or just clips for a vid? Here's some from the net:

Maneater of Hydra ( 1967) a.k.a “Island Of The Doomed “. A vampiric tree kills people on a baron’s island.

I didn't know this, but there's 3 Day of the Triffids movies 1962, 1981 & 2009. I've only seen the '62.

"Navy versus the Night Monsters (movie): Filmed in ten days, the premise is that some tropical island is the native range of some endemic (whoops, I mean, the island is infested with...) tree sized carnivorous plants. Mamie van Doren (a large-breasted trash-film goddess) is in this film. I've been told by a reliable source (Nathan S) that the plants are omnivorous. "

"The Mutations (movie): Reader F.T. directed my attention to this film, also called "The Freakmaker". Evil scientist jazzes with the genetic codes of humans and plants, like we all do. Hmmm..."The Mutations/The Freakmaker" ... "Mentos/The Freshmaker"... Is there a connection?"

"The Seeds Of Doom (Doctor Who, UK TV, 1976)
”If we don’t find that pod before it germinates, it’ll be the end of everything. Everything, do you understand? Even your pension!”
In season 13 of the original Doctor Who, Tom Baker’s Doctor comes up against a vociferous form of alien plant life in the form of the Krynoids, a naughty weed that threatens to proliferate worldwide and is ultimately killed by stock footage from the RAF. The Doctor himself is no stranger to xenobotany, and uses a particularly hilarious overblown Venus flytrap in the rarely-seen Tardis conservatory to trap an unfriendly Sontaran in The Invasion Of Time."

"Contamination .7 (movie): Why ".7"? Does the decimal point make it sound more scientific? The marketers were looking for some magic formula, because they also called this film "The Crawlers", "Troll III", and "Troll 3". I guess they weren't very successful with dressing up this hunk of pooh. Yet it is pooh with radioactive carnivorous trees! Thanks to F. T. for this entry. "

"As Sete Vampiras (movie): Jessica P. told me about this Brazilian production, distributed also under the English title "The Seven Vampires." Supposedly, a botanist returns from Africa with a carnivorous plant that bites people and turns them into vampires. Yes, this is a complicated idea. There is an excellent review of the film at Imdb.com that indicates this is part of a genre of horror-comedy called "terrir". Interesting... (I haven't seen the movie.) "

"Dinner for Adela/Adéla jeste nevecerela (1978): Um, a Czech movie with a carnivorous plant eating people."

"The Double Garden (1970): This movie, which I haven't seen, was written by Ed Wood, Jr., and apparently his influence has a strong presence in the film. So...beware! The dastardly mad scientist in this flick made some horrid hybrid between a Venus flytrap and a marine carnivorous plant (no, in reality there are no marine carnivorous plants...). The result is a beast that looks like a person in a rubber suit, probably because that's exactly what it is! Also called "The Venus flytrap", but not to be confused with the film with the same name, listed in the "Unverified" section on this page. Thanks to James P for news of this movie!"

"Please Don't Eat My Mother! (movie): A 1972 rip-off of Little Shop of Horrors. The plot describes a grower (Henry Fudd) of giant Venus flytrap-like monsters (named Adam and Eve). He falls in love with one of the plants, and ends up feeding people to the plants... Nathan S tells me the plants are terrestrial, so this movie counts. Although it apparently blows."

Just has scenes of killer plants: Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008 movie), Jumanji (movie), Konga (movie), The Land Unknown (movie), The Lost Continent (movie), The Lost World (movie): In this 1960, "Voodoo Island (movie): (also known as Silent Death) Another sighting by Mr. X., this 1957 film has Boris Karloff and Adam West. Wow!!! I must see this! Unfortunately, it is supposed to suck, even though there is a carnivorous plant in it. (Mr. X says it looks like a big cabbage.) Directed by Reginald Le Borg.",

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-14-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I didn't know this, but there's 3 Day of the Triffids movies 1962, 1981 & 2009. I've only seen the '62.,
Actually, the 2nd two are TV mini-series. The 80's version is really good.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 AM
Evil Dead

The 2009 version of Triffids is dire,avoid at all costs.

One movie i like is The Ruins.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
You looking for whole films, or just clips for a vid?
Mostly whole films, unless the scenes are worth watching the whole movie for :D Thanks for the list, there's some I haven't seen at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
One movie i like is The Ruins.
Yes... I rarely get scared by movie anymores (sadly), but I'll have to admit "The Ruins" actually terrified me. I love when that happens :D
Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Dark Seduction

I got a good one for you it is called the guardian. Basically, a babysitter that is like a part of this tree she and the tree live off of babies, the movies pretty good and it is not to old i think from the 90's maybe 80's.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff_vicki_bride View Post
I got a good one for you it is called the guardian. Basically, a babysitter that is like a part of this tree she and the tree live off of babies, the movies pretty good and it is not to old i think from the 90's maybe 80's.
I know that one, I had it on VHS once upon a time. That tree is pretty mean :D