Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Little Boo

Exclamation Anyone know any films that are terrifying?

Hi im max im new here.

im just wondering if anyone knows any films that are actually terrifying?

me and my mates have been watching films to try and find one that actually scares us but the only thing that does is playing the new slender game.

any recommendations?

cheers
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Evil Dead

It is all about how you watch a movie and your mindset i feel.

It is impossible to be scared in the company of others,i always watch alone.And i never have any lights on,not even a side light.

I would also include age in the equation,the younger you are the less you appreciate the what the filmmaker is trying to achieve.many young people,not all but many want to see blood and gore and have no interest in plots or characterization but want to get to the juicy stuff,this always fails.

The terrifying days of horror where back in the seventies i feel,the modern era does not have the same effect as the true masters once did.Today's movies are all about titillation and gore,which is no bad thing but it isn't scary.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Little Boo

yeah we do get a good atmosphere goin no lights on at all. all quite and surround sound turned up.

I'm 24 and i dont want just blood and guts i want to be really freaked out by a film. I think its more the possesion/paranomal type films that are best for it.

We watched grave encounters last night. the concept of the film is very clever and it is scary in parts but i just think it wasn't quite there if you know what i mean.

we also watched V/H/S a couple of weeks ago and i thought that was very clever and it shit me up in parts to.

maybe i will have to watch some of the Spanish and Japanese films. any idea if they give a good scare?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Banned

Watch "The Eye"...the original one---> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325655/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

CRANK UP THE SURROUND SOUND....guaranteed you will be freaked out a couple of times
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
It is all about how you watch a movie and your mindset i feel.

It is impossible to be scared in the company of others,i always watch alone.And i never have any lights on,not even a side light.

I would also include age in the equation,the younger you are the less you appreciate the what the filmmaker is trying to achieve.many young people,not all but many want to see blood and gore and have no interest in plots or characterization but want to get to the juicy stuff,this always fails.

The terrifying days of horror where back in the seventies i feel,the modern era does not have the same effect as the true masters once did.Today's movies are all about titillation and gore,which is no bad thing but it isn't scary.
Very true, the setting, and state of mind are important. Being with bold friends, especially if anyone is likely to make fun of movie, yell out some funny lines, one is just not going to get into a scare mode. Alone at night with no distractions is usually the best environment. An open mind, believing ('suspension of disbelief') and engrossing oneself into the story are required.

In my opinion there a few, if any, terrifying movies.

Scary is subjective, but I think for most the scariest movies would likely be The Exorcist and Amityville Horror. The Ring (US), Jaws, Poltergeist, Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Halloween build to some effective scariness; with Texas being horror. I've heard Salem's Lot and The Devil's Backbone are scary. Also heard Rec 2007, Ju-on (2002) are scary, but I haven't seen them yet.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Evil Dead

Recommending a film that will terrify you is difficult since your the only one that truly knows what terrifies you. But here are some films from different eras that were considered scary at one point or another. Hope you enjoy them:
Nosferatu (1922)
Dracula (1931)
Bride Of Frankenstein (1936)
The Wolf Man (1941)
Horror Of Dracula (1958)
Last Man On Earth
Evil Dead (original)

Psycho (1961)
The Haunting (1961)
Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Legend Of Hell House (1972)
The Exorcist
The Others
Hellraiser
Nightmare On Elm Street (original)
Halloween (original)
Dawn Of The Dead
The Descent
Jaws

Last edited by phantomstranger; 05-16-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Evil Dead

The Legend of Hell House is very creepy and a personal favorite of mine.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Little Boo

Watch Jacob's Ladder by yourself in a dark room. Don't think of it as a horror movie. You will be scared. :)
Old 05-18-2013, 02:22 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole1982 View Post
Watch Jacob's Ladder by yourself in a dark room. Don't think of it as a horror movie. You will be scared. :)
Good point, Cole. Being unsettled, in awe, humbled, in fear, scared, frightened, in a manner of speaking, certainly is not synonymous with horror. Jacob's Ladder was unsettling.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Little Boo

The most terrifying film I'd even seen was the black & white Belgium film "Man Bites Dog." Oy, it was nerve-wracking!