Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
I love Giallo and I heartily hated it. Yeah...the atmosphere was great & even the premise was interesting but all it was just missing was a simple Giallo story. It'd be lot better if we could get the chance to see that 'unedited movie' in this movie. Found it pretty dull & disappointed.
haha - Then I revoke my recommendation to Giallo fans, then.

Yeah, to be honest, I found it boring! But I assumed that it was just me.

Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to see Pacific Rim in the theater. Definitely lost a LOT of its magic watching at home. Not enough to distract me from the terrible story and script!

The Giant Monsters and Charlie Day were the highlights of the movie. Everything else was Meh. Wished I had seen it on the big screen.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

terrible story!

giant monsters vs giant robots ..

we cant love genre films and be terribly concerned with story - they're all pretty much the same basic premise - survival. We're just along for the ride - to be scared, amazed, thrilled by the visuals, music, etc

When we get a genre movie with a plot or story that runs more deep and meaningful, it's a real prize and it tends to rise above the genre.

i'm perfectly happy with a thin plot/story - as long as I can be moved by something else - be it great action, fantastic visuals, and performances adequate enough to keep me in the movie
Old 12-17-2013, 07:37 AM
HDC Idol

Not enough Giant Monsters to play the Genre card for me. I wanted more Giant Monsters. Everything else was boring. Except Charlie Day. I love Charlie.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

not enough giant monsters?

so I guess you'll be skipping the new Godzilla movie ? I don't think he has any friends with him :)
Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 AM
HDC Idol

What can I say? I was left wanting more.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Misanthrope

It's kind of an oxymoron I guess but I prefer a bit more seriousness in my giant robots vs monsters flicks.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

I can go either way - but when something looks as good as Pacific Rim, I'll take what I can get.

The only false note to me was the Ron Pearlman bit.
He must be the nicest guy in the world - because I just don't enjoy him on screen at all.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Evil Dead

My round-up from last week.

Trouble Every Day—Eh, it hovers somewhere between a B and a B-. I first watched this film when I was a total horror newbie and got bored after the first 30 minutes. However, this week I decided to give it another try, solely because it’s a New French Extremity film. In the end, I was not exactly impressed, but I didn’t hate it. The meet-up between the male and female leads should have been played-up a lot more, though.

The Seasoning House—Ugh, I really, really wanted to like this one. I mean, the acting is pretty solid and the visuals are engaging and there is certainly enough brutality in this film to keep you up at night, but for some reason, I just couldn’t get into it. Maybe another watch on another day will change my mind, because I feel as though I should like this film.

Red Clover—This was an AfterDark original. Watching this movie just made me realize how much I miss AfterDark Horrorfest. And even though I haven’t seen it yet, I’m sure “Leprechaun” handles wacky Irish folklore much better.

Here Comes the Devil—I waited so long for this one! It was foreign, had some good reviews and an intriguing supernatural plotline. But this week was just one disappointment after another. The film was all right, probably my fault for building it up so much. The movie itself seemed like a hybrid between “Picnic at Hanging Rock” and “Pet Sematary” which I found pretty cool, although the execution fell a little flat for me.

Welcome to the Jungle—I watched this one mainly because it was “found footage” (my horror movie weakness) and because I’m insanely excited for “Green Inferno”. There was maybe one “Cannibal Holocaust”-esque moment, otherwise, it was mostly some inane chatter between the main characters that made the backwoods bitching of “Blair Witch” look mature and logical.

Anyway, a week of disappointments for me, but I’m hoping this week will be better. I have a bunch of movies to watch while doing all my Christmas chores and who knows, maybe I’ll have a Festivus miracle and find something I can go crazy over. *fingers crossed*
Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 AM
The Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
terrible story!

giant monsters vs giant robots ..

we cant love genre films and be terribly concerned with story - they're all pretty much the same basic premise - survival. We're just along for the ride - to be scared, amazed, thrilled by the visuals, music, etc

When we get a genre movie with a plot or story that runs more deep and meaningful, it's a real prize and it tends to rise above the genre.

i'm perfectly happy with a thin plot/story - as long as I can be moved by something else - be it great action, fantastic visuals, and performances adequate enough to keep me in the movie
I agree. Pacific Rim played my nostalgia piano perfectly. It took all the best elements from an otherwise unpolished live action genre and made them shine. This kinda film isn't meant to be high art. It is meant to be big and thrilling. Robot Jox VS Godzilla would probably be the closest in feel compared to this film.

www.youtube.com/thedeadarewatching
Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Misanthrope

I Spit On Your Grave (2010)

Held off watching this one kinda lost my stomach for extreme stuff. Pretty solid remake didn't quite have the punch or sleaze of the original. Much better than the Last House on the Left remake anyways.

Tags
movie