Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Events & Happenings
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 AM
DniAcoRleR

World Horror Convention!

The World Horror Convention is being held in Toronto, Canada on Sat. March 31, 2007 this year. Kim Paffenroth who wrote the best-seller "Gospel of the Living Dead" last year is now nominated for the Bram Stoker Award! There are many different awards at this convention, but the Stoker Award is by far, the top prize.

The Bram Stoker Award is a part of the Horror Writer's Association (HWA), this genre's oldest and most prestigious association whose members include Stephen King and Anne Rice! These members actually nominate this award to books which show "superior achievement," so the honor comes from the writer's peers, not critics or publishers.

"Gospel of the Living Dead" is a non-fiction book about connecting social and religious views with elements from the classic American horror and zombie genre. It's eerily fascinating and intellectually compelling, so read it and see if he wins on March 31!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
No charge for awesomeness

It's the 28th today! A little bit more notice would be great in the future since 3 days isn't much time to plan a trip to Canada.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
DniAcoRleR

Sorry about that! Even though the World Horror Convention is open to everybody, the awards ceremony is private. I am just excited that this book is nominated for an award and wanted to get some buzz started. If you like discussing zombies and horror and compare them to serious issues like religion and sociology, this book is for you. Read it! It's genius.

Here's more information on "Gospel of the Living Dead"

http://www.baylor.edu/baylorpress/in...27&Book_ID=104

You can buy it for about $15 on Amazon or Powell's.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Author

I was an 8-year member of the HWA until they changed their rules just before my first book was published. I might join again someday, but I still harbor a bit of resentment toward them. I'll get over it one of these days.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

I wonder if Urge went?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:25 AM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flayed One View Post
I wonder if Urge went?
i went - it was cool, though more for professionals than fans. still cool to see so many authors and filmmakers.